main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PS3 the rumor mill

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Bladecarver, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bladecarver

Bladecarver Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    Is it true PS3 is coming out in 2004?

2. Canderous

Canderous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    I hope not.

IMO, they need to take more time to put together new consoles. I hope Sony doesn't make the mistake of trying to release a new console before Microsoft or Nintendo, because if they do, chances are it will be inferior.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I read a recent article about the PSIII at www.gamespy.com not too long ago. If what they said in that article is true, the PSIII will be as powerful as a P4 2.6 Ghz computer. It appears the gap is closing between console and PC as far as power and graphics go.

4. LordZefidiaS

LordZefidiaS Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2003
    by the time the ps3 comes out pc's will be at over4 ghz video memory on a pc will be well over 300mb,so no the console will never be as powerful as a pc.the pc market pretty much upgrades every 2 months to go with that.I like multiplayer shooters and nothing matches the pc.

5. JediJared

JediJared Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2000
    I heard that the PS3 was gonna suck like the PS2...

Just messin' with ya. I'm a gamer, platforms do not concern me. I hope all of the next generation consoles come out with some punch!

I do think that Sony will rush the production to get ahead of the game. The end result will be a less powerful machine.

6. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    I hope psIII will have built in memory

7. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    And to think, the PS would have never happened if Nintendo hadn't rejected the SNES CD thing.

I love Nintendo and all but if the PS never happened the video game industry wouldn't be as big as it is.

EDIT: Added hadnt my mistake [face_blush] , thanks medelyoz :)

8. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I think you mean NOT rejected the SNES CD idea.

I heard that PS3 will be out in 2005 5 years after PS2. I hope that's when it comes out as 5 years is long enough to require an upgrade.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    5 years seems to be the cycle for the game industry.

10. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    If Sony releases another console as soon as 2004, they'll be pissing off many of their younger gamers that can't afford to be buying expensive consoles that cost hundreds of dollars to play games that they expect to come out for their consoles.

I know I'm not going to be buying the PS3, whenever it comes out, for at least a year or two afterwards. I'm guessing it's going to cost upwards of $400, so fat chances of me buying it hot off the shelves! :p

They really need to take the time to let the PS2 settle and allow for more titles, and definitely more good titles to filter in before they even think about setting a new console in the PS2's spotlight. Think about how long the PSX/PS1 console was out.

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    They'd better not start the new console process as soon as I get Halo 2, or I'll get angry.

12. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "Is it true PS3 is coming out in 2004? "

Most likely not. we would have more information about it as of now we know little about it.

Forcebewitya!

13. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I read that it supposedly has 10 times the graphical capability of the PS2. Which I heavily doubt. But anyway, Sony is keeping very tight-lipped over the PS3 at the moment, and I doubt we'll get any good, reliable info anytime soon. :(

14. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    The next Nintendo console is penciled in for 2005 so I think PS3 will probabley come out around the same time.

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    They may mention something at E3 about the PSIII.

16. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "They may mention something at E3 about the PSIII. "

yeah, and if they dont, well dont expect to see it in 2004.

Forcebewitya!

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I heard that not only is the PS3 going to be ten times more powerful than the PS2, but it's also going to be ten times as overrated as well.

Fight the power, and buy the Super Gamecube or the X2: XBox United instead.

18. XaeroN9ne

XaeroN9ne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2003
    Info on the PS3 chip and the plant they are going to build for it:

Sony sinks $1.6 billion into 'Cell' plant

Also they give an estimated release of late 2005 - 2006

Some more info on the technical side of the PS3:

psreporter

Also Sony just recently came out with a new version of the PS2 that includes a better more powerful DVD player, removal of the firewire (ilink) port, and the addition of a built in IR port for the DVD remote. Also the DVD remote has been redone and now has more functions including an on/off control for the PS2 console, and a disk tray eject button. As of May 2003, however, it is only available in Japan:

PS2 Overhaul

Edit:
    This site has some interesting stuff too. Including concept designs for the PS3. I have a feeling that they are just fan concepts, and some are so obvously photoshopped pics of the PS2, but they're cool anyway. The news stuff you have to dig for.

PS3 Resource Center

19. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I can't see the point of buying a new PS2 when the P3 is only a couple years away. I'll stick to watching DVD's on my computer or X-Box.

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Heres what Sucks about Xbox and PS2.

Xbox Cool for 3D Envirments but Horrible Games but some are cool. PS2 has Suckey 3D Envirments But better Games.

21. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    5 years is the average cycle for a console. I expect to see Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all launching their new consoles (And I hope they all come up with new names for their new consoles, NOT just add a new # at the end) at around the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.