main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pseudo Star Wars Fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by WatchmanOfIego, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    So Juhani may look too human and not furry enough. That's because hair and fur don't generate well on comp games and film movies.

Further more, all the clothing in KOTOR was FLAT.

Kapp Dendo, Devaronian, looked very human in the Rogue Squadron comics. Too much like General Salm, actually.

2. PolvinKut

PolvinKut Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    By the way SoloCommand: I am a far bigger fan than you and know more than what you would ever comprehend.

No I don't that that goes well at all, completely slashes with my jungle theme...

3. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Ooh! Comedy thread! Yay!

>>>>Ever since the release of the highly-acclaimed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I have met several people who call themselves Star Wars Fans.

Funny- I met quite a few before then...

>>>>My one complaint about KOTOR is that it makes losers think they know about Star Wars.

Yeah- that's the EU for you...

>>>1. Juhani who claims to be a Cathar is human-looking, completely incorrect according to The Alien Anthology,

Juniwho now?
    I wouldn't worry about it- I don't think the Alien DVD set is generally considered "canon"...

>>>>2. Now people know who Naga Sadow is (but I bet none of them could tell me his rival in becoming Sith Lord was Ludo Kressh)

Naga... Naga...
    Naganna appear in the films, anyway...

>>>...and 3. What's with the added line to the Jedi Code - "There is no chaos, there is harmony".

Added to what exactly?

>>>>There are more in the game, but these are a few that I really hate. So to everyone who signed up because they like KOTOR (and only if you signed up for that reason), what is a Duinuogwuin?

A very good reason that "Star Wars Scrabble" will never exist?

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Funny how all this started musing over a game (KOTOR) that, while being the best SW experience since the OT, clearly should not be nudged anywhere within the canon. I mean, its nature, the different outcomes, even the very face and gender of the protagonist are dependent on the whim of the player.

Sure, the game feeds off the canon and the EU. But playing it or learning the little bits that are revealed won't make anyone a bigger SW fan. In fact, you should take some of those facts (like the true orighin of Kashyyk or Tatooine and the Sand People) with a grain of salt. Maybe it's been decided already that the game itself or at least some elements thereof are canon, but considering the source, it makes me uncomforable all the same. Same thing with Kyle Katarn, who can be either hero or villain depending how you played Jedi Knight (and I won't get into his using both light and dark powers just for the sake of gameplay); or later on with his apprentice Jaden Korr, who can also be either hero/heroine or villain/villainess depending -- once again -- on the whim of the player. How can you fit such a tangled mess into canon? Or more importantly, why should anyone be a bigger or lesser SW fan for adhering or dismissing the games -- whether they be canon or not? The way I see it, we're just trying to quantify and/or qualify geekiness here, and that's not a good thing.

I'm a SW fan, not because of what I know or what I like or what I consider canon. There's tons of facts I don't know or care about, and anyone who knows me knows I loathe the PT. That hasn't stopped me from being a SW fan, nor made me feel either inferior or superior to any other SW fan, whether they be more die-hard or less so than me. To each their own, is what I say.

5. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    My original intention was this: Don't pretend to be someone your not, don't pretend to have extensive knowledge about things you don't.

Maybe they're not. Maybe they're just talking about what they *do* know: the game. They like it, it's Star Wars too, hence they can refer to themselves as Star Wars fans as much as anyone. ;)

I never directed it at any of you, but rather at the people who say, "Oh yea, I'm soo cool. I know who Naga Sadow is. I know about some Star Wars stuff that's not in the movie." Sure it may be the beginning of a liking towards Star Wars for someone, but if it takes a video game to do that, get real.

So they know stuff that's not in the movies... I don't see the problem with people who know extra stuff about something through games. I don't misinterpret their knoledge, meerely take it for what it is. There's really no point in thinking there are 'superior fans' relatively to someone else, just because that person doesn't know as much as you do about something - it's just a different way of liking (and looking at) something. :)

6. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    I am getting laughs on this thread!!! Everyone who is on KotOR should know it is the only best source that we have of the beginning of the Old Republic and we should keep in mind that even it is a EU item, it still make us wonder about before Episode 1.

7. WatchmanOfIego

WatchmanOfIego Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2004
    Wow... This has become a monster. I think all of those that are complaining to me are using this definition for a "fan":
    Somebody who kinda likes something.

I am using the definition from the American Heritage Dictionary Third Edition:
    An ardent devotee; Possessed with extreme zeal or entusiasm.

So anyways, I love KotOR, but I think people need to realize that there is more to the EU than KotOR. Ya dig?

By the way, I'm glad I could provide entertainment for some of you :)

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Star Wars is becoming more mainstream

Dude. I dunno where you've been for the last 25 years, but Star Wars is arguably the biggest, most commercial, well known, pop-culture phenomenon in the history of the planet (and has been since 1977).

9. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I love KotOR, but I think people need to realize that there is more to the EU than KotOR. Ya dig?

Boy, did you come to the wrong forum. Trust me, we dig. If you're up for a bit of humbling, though, check out the Literature forum, there's plenty of "true" fans there. :)

10. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    So anyways, I love KotOR, but I think people need to realize that there is more to the EU than KotOR. Ya dig?

Maybe they just don't want to. ;) Some fans simply don't feel the necessity of 'completing' their knoledge over something they like. Most of the KotOR-based Star Wars fans I know were people who had liked the movies and after playing the game liked the SW universe more than they did before. :)

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    //Brings up old threads to play with new, fast computer.

That first post is funny [face_laugh]

12. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    *Giggles* i remeber this thread, silly first poster, I think we scared him off.

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    He has a point:

Now people know who Naga Sadow is (but I bet none of them could tell me his rival in becoming Sith Lord was Ludo Kressh),

14. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Gosh Darn it. I'll just have to mail that Star Wars Fan club membership card back.

15. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    I been a long time since I last posted on this thread.

Ummm... You know, Expanded Universe is just stories away from the movies and that people who believe in just the movies is just getting a quarter of the whole star wars universe. The whole galaxy has a story as long as the real history of earth and that the movies gives the height of the galaxy's climax and the stories and things from Expanded universe is just ideas of the other three-third of the gap and it totally help know the whole star wars galaxy's history from its beginning to its end.

I know this is long but it is like a conclusion to this thread.

PS: I still think this thread is funny.

16. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I don't think anyone could have answered that question :p

Nah, i see your point, but people have got to start somewhere. Let them be pretenders. Deep down, 99.99% of the world are pretenders.

17. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I say Solo goes and banes him now.

[face_laugh]

What a Hat. I can't believe I missed this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.