main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PSO- X-Box version = Big Rip Off

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Chaotic_Jedi, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    If anyone has played any of the previous phantasy star online games online they probably know how addicting it is. But onfortunately all is not good with the X-Box version since they are going to charge u an additional $9.00 per month to play plus the cost of X-Box live. Big rip off if you ask me. Plus you won't even be able to play it without a valid X-Box live account.

If you want more information go to this link. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2909988,00.html

2. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Oh my god, an online game where you are charged fees AND are required to have access to the internet???!!! This is an outrage! Quick, someone start an online petition!!!!!!1111

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    [image=http://www.alcofielen.com/pics/forumpics/stupid_thread/capacity.jpg]

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ack. It's an oldie but a goodie.

However, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion of PSO on X-Box, please be courteous enough to move along without leaving some wise-ass comment.

Thanks.

5. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Doh!

well I guess someone's not gonna like Galaxies much cause it's gonna be the same way so I hear.

6. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    My problem with it is that Microsoft said that its online strategy was as follows. You pay for X-Box live and all of the games that have online support won't cost u anything. So why should u have to pay two different companies to play 1 game.

7. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Then. Don't. Play. It. :)

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > You pay for X-Box live and all of the games that have online support won't cost u anything.

If Microsoft diod indeed say that (anyone got a link?), then you have reason to be annoyed if you thought XBL was going to have exclusively free online gaming.

Why on earth would MS make a statement relating to every other software developer out there? Who are MS to tell them what they can & can't charge?

Anyway the situation is analagous to PCs. Games with "online support" for MP battles - eg. Morrowind, Jedi Outcast, Galactic Battlegrounds, X Wing Alliance, etc etc are a whole different type of online gaming than the online-only MMORPG type game that has hundreds or thousands of people online at once, and requires new content to be provided continuously.

There are 2 types of PC online PC game, just as there are two types of online X-Box game. In most games the online component is free. In some though, it requires a fee.

9. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Basically, you pay for monthly servers to keep track of everything you do and for more content. Exactly like Galaxies and Everquest.

And Microsoft isn't getting this money. The makers of PSO are.

10. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    And Microsoft isn't getting this money. The makers of PSO are

Exactly. MS is charging you for the Xbox Live service. However, the company maintaining the servers for their MMORPGs are charging the additional $9. It's not like the Gamecube version won't have the same issue, you will have to pay them $9-$10/month as well. Everyone should know by now that Xbox Live is NOT free, so I don't see how it is a "rip-off". You want rip-off, go try playing online games via dial-up. Now that's a travesty.

11. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    First off PSO isn't a MMORPG; Not even close.MMORPG involve thousands of players running around in 1 area doing battle. In PSO its u and 3 buddies; oh thats massive..
    I'm not dissing the game but it's no MMORPG.

Ya the GCN does make u pay but your not stuck having to pay 2 different companies to play 1 game.

12. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    And the Gamecube version dosen't even have voice chat, nor does it come with a two month free trial. Communication in PSO on the Gamecube version is kind of clunky. At least that would be the the thing that puts this over the Gamecube version. ;)

This game though isn't even worth the fee, regardless of the Dreamcast, GC or Xbox version. Why waste your money on this 4 player Diablo hack and slash when you could spend the same amount of money on MMORPG and get a deeper gaming experiance.

13. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    The oringinal dreamcast version was free and it had all of the servers and stuff that are on the newer versions; other than a couple minor things. If I were to pay for a MMORPG it would be final fantasy XI. You get the whole everquest expiereince with better graphics and a the same cost of like $10.00 a month. If you only have X-Box your gonna have to wait a while for some good MMORPG's. But they are coming this year. :D
    If your a GCN owner PSO will probably be one of the only games that it is online this year. Since there are no real talks of any MMORPG being developed. :mad:

14. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Actaully Galaxies is coming out at about the same time for the Xbox as it comes out for the computer.

And IMO Galaxies will be 10x better then Final Fantasy or Everquest.

15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Ummm..... Xbox has True Fantasy Online this year, Sherlock. :p Then of course there is Star Wars Galaxies, and Shining Lore. Sega and Rare are both working on an Xbox Mmorpg, apparently. Sorry you missed the memo Chaotic Jedi. :p

[image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/news/12/09/true_screen003.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/news/12/09/true_screen007.jpg]

As for the PSO fee's it was a given. PSO on Dreamcast started off free but then Sega started charging for it. As for the current versions, Sega still has the dev teams working on the game so they are still going to need funding to add that content. But still that nine bucks regardless of console isn't worth it. When you look at games like AC, EQ or DAOC. With that said anyone that spends money on a console MMORPG is seriously robbing themselves. I feel sorry for those that will end up playing Galaxies on the PS2 or Xbox. :(

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.