main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PSX i.e New PS2+

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by pat-fett, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Was looking on gamspot and came across this interesting story PSX

It seems Sony will release a high end PS2 to compete with X-Box. It does just about everything a X-Box does and more. One feature is a DVD recorder. I'd heard about new PS2s with the network adabter in box, but this thing looks sick.

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Ugh, they need to give it up.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    'sick' and in cool, or 'sick' as in vomit?

I can never follow US slang.

Anyway, I like the concept. :)

4. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    As in cool. Actually I've been reading a little more about this thing. It turns out that really the PS2 was just an added feature basicly the idea for the PSX, and eventually PS3 probalby,is merge all your home entertainment needs into one set top box. As someone who has been tweeking his HT for a few years now I like the concept. What's interesting is that SEC won't be marketing this as a console, but rather Sony electronics as a home entertainment device. There's another good article on IGN with some video.

5. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Wasn't the original Playstation called the PSX, before they made that PSOne thing?

That's a little confusing, why not come up with a new abbreviation?

6. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Simp, no, 'PSX' was the codename for the original 'PlayStation,' but they didn't end up calling it that.

I'm glad for the PSX name, it's realy cool, and I can't wait for this new console to come out, it looks awesome.

I might need to get it AND an X-Box...hm...

?Eaglet

7. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Yes PSX was the codename and it just stuck with the media. If you notice Sony never reffered to PlayStation as PSX once it was released.

8. KenCom

KenCom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    The PSX is rediculous. It has the ability to make copies of copywrighted materials, which sony is against. It also seems like sony is sinking and treading water isn't getting them anywhere.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sounds like an attempt to help some less then steller sales. The sad part is, it will probably work, and Sony will sell a billion of these units while Microsoft and Nintendo continue to lag far behind.

10. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    What's wrong with that? Gives the other two companies incentive to come back bigger and better and eventualy cheaper. The PSX is a very smart idea by Sony. They are taking the PS2 out of the bedroom of gamers and into the center of the family living room. If the PSX is any indication of what we can expect in the future of gaming and and home entertainment, consider me one happy consumer.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think it's more of an attempt to extend the lifespan of the PS2 than anything else. You're right though, there's nothing wrong with that, I've just never really been a fan of any incarnation of the Playstation.

12. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I think it's more of an attempt to extend the lifespan of the PS2 than anything else.

I think that is true to a degree. I think what this really is though is an experiment on Sony's part to see how consumers outside of the gaming market will respond to such a product. If it's a hit I'm sure PS3 will follow the same kind of desighn.

13. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I want a PS device with DVD and MD recording ability. Heck, just do away with the Memory Cards and use MD's :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.