main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Psychology of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Dragon D, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Which aspect of psychology do you wish to see more of in Episode VII?

With all the shootings going on in this country, I would love to see a focus on the mentally ill character in the movie who is not like Anakin Skywalker, but somehow the movie teaches a valuable lesson in the end to help these mentally ill!

:)

2. truthspeaker

truthspeaker Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2014
    this entire trilogy is based in the "don't let go of your childhood"

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Aspects of philosophy are no match for a good blaster

TheBBP, rdhight and Doop like this.
  4. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

Classic example of making a character for the purpose of having diversity and not for the advancement or well being of the story. I think most mental illnesses would be cured in the Star Wars time line, and those who are mentally ill will receive proper support from their governments.

5. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

Meh, you'd think people would be able to regenerate limbs, too, but no.

There's a certain charm to Star Wars being a late-70's conception of the future rather than a contemporary one. So I'll take bacta tanks over medical miracles and improbably huge space stations over nanobots.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    The aspect of psychology I would like to see is the psychology of good storytelling.

Insane characters decrease my interest unless their insanity is somehow integral to the plot. I don't like to have a big "NOT HIS FAULT" label slapped on big chunks of story, absolving characters of responsibility or blame. I want to see characters who undergo extreme experiences, but retain full moral responsibility for their actions. Where real life is concerned, I hope the mentally ill get all the help they need, but I want the stories I enjoy in my spare time to be about characters who have a decent grip on reality. I don't want 10 years of arguments over whether Darth No. 5 has PTSD and is therefore "not evil."

Sarge likes this.
  7. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    The curious thing about insanity is that someone who is delusional is only in a state of psychosis to those around him or her.

For my taste, a true villain in the Star Wars universe is both delusional (false...mainly of the grandiose subset...beliefs) as well as a psycho/sociopath, with little to no redemption in sight. This is what separated Vader from the Palpatine. While Vader appeared to be the villain, he was actually the hero disguised, while Palpatine was a Hitler-esque figure set in his ways with no hope of returning to the light.

There is nothing more frightening in our own universe as a human who is born (yes, it happens) with little to no capacity for empathy and/or guilt, combined with above-average intelligence and a means to carry out his/her darkest impulses.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There will be a thread started by some on how the ST destroyed their childhood (or words to that effect)

TheBBP, StoneRiver and Darth Punk like this.
  9. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I think this trilogy is all about the "changing of the guard", so to speak. Out with the old, in with the new. The psychology will deal with our heroes getting old and passing their wisdom onto the next generation.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I want to see a movie that makes me forget about this world. I don't want parallels and social messages. I want to be taken away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.