main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT and Clone Wars vs OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tatooine_Fireman, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I don't know if this really belongs here, so if it doesn't, please let me know.

I know that there's a lot of complaining about the PT, 'cause it is not like the OT at all. (not that I mind though) I was wondering, are the Clone Wars tv series more what the OT fans (and mostly PT-bashers) were expecting from the PT, 'cause there are several shots that look very OT'ish to me, like Kit Fisto aboard the Stardestroyer with the Yoda hologram, Amidala standing in front of the window watching all the ships, and the entire space battle, and there are a lot more.
    Discuss.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Well we have several threads that compare the classics with the prequles so you should really take that discussion there.

Darth Seldon

Jar Jar Binks Loves You

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think its a different question, actually.

This is really about the opinion of the Clone Wars cartoon series held by OT-loyalists/PT-bashers. That addresses a very specific population. Further, it only addresses how well the PT does the transition in comparison to how the Clone Wars Cartoon (the real subject of the thread) handles it.

Personally, I'd like to know what people think.

4. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Thanks Jabba-wocky, that's what I meant.
    Well, what do you think of it?
    I like the first 10 chapters very much, and I think the "design" of cities and fighters look a lot like those of the OT. I think the look of the cartoons maked the look of AOTC flow into the look of Episode III, which of course will flow into the OT's look.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    OT, PT. I like them both.

6. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    There is no OT vs PT.
    It is all Star Wars
    You can enjoy 3 movies when I enjoy 6.

7. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    I totaly agree...

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Grah. So frustrating. . .

I think he agrees with you. But that, again, is not the point.

His point is this: There are people who like the OT and dislike the PT, regardless of whether that makes sense or not. There are differences in the style of the PT so far and the style of the Clone Wars cartoons, as well as differences between the styles of the PT and OT. Given these differences, his question is: "Do PT-bashers find the style of CWAS more "true" to the style of the OT, and do they like it better than the PT because of it? What exactly do they feel about the cartoon micro-series relationship to the OT? Is it, in general, better or worse than the PT's relationship to the same?"

That means it has nothing to do with whether people should or shouldn't bash the PT or OT, or how well the trasnition is going, or anything of the sort. Where've all the PT bashers qho can answer this question gone off to?!

9. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    I agree again Jabba_wocky! It was a question meant for the PT-bashers, who are everywhere, except when you need them! ;)
    I love both love OT and PT very much, but much of the OT die hards are quite disappointed with the beginning of the Clone Wars in AOTC, and the fact we don't get to see it on the big screen.
    What I wanted to know was, is SWCW what the OT-fans (and mostly PT-bashers) imagined the Clone Wars would be? Do they like it for the way it looks, the story, the fights, the characters and stuff?

10. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I think that if the ice-planet we saw in the season 2 trailer is Hoth, it would, I'm sure, make alot of OT-fans happy.

11. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    I haven't seen anything of season 2 yet, but I am looking forward to it!
    Hoth would be great!

12. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    That wasn't Hoth, it was Ilum.

There is no OT
    There is no PT
    There is the Saga.

13. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Well that whomps. Padmé encountering a wampa would've been awsome. It would've gone a long way, I feel, to establish some continuity.

14. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    JediMasterGuff, I am not bashing the PT here. I love the OT and the PT ( sorry, the entire saga ;) ) very much. I just wanted to know if SWCW is what the PT bashers thought/hoped the Clone Wars would look/feel like, in style and storylines.

15. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Fair enough, and if they wanted the OT-feel, I'm sure they got it with the space battle in Chapter 10, and also at the end of Chapter 1 with the Clones taking off in their fighters, a homage to the Yavin Base in ANH.

16. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Ok, you want a PT-disliker (I wouldn't go as far as to say hater) you got one. I do beleive that some aspects of the cartoon a true to what I know as the trilogy. The space battle was filled with the dogfighting that I love, and the ships lifting off was right out of ANH. I love the Republic Gunships, as the remind me of the ISDs of old. One thing I dislike, however, are the ground battles. I prefer the trench warfare of ESB, and I'd take an AT-AT over a whimpy AT-TE anyday. I thought that whole ARC trooper urban warfare bit was a little too much like a Tom Clancey video game.

Well, that's my two cents.

*clicks heels*

*walks away wistling*

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

17. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    The cartoons are a very different beast than the movies. I don't see a duel between two dark siders happening in a Star Wars movie, for example. The urban combat was way more Tartakovsky than Lucas. Same with the gladiator fight. Durge is very EU / comic book-ish, and I can't really imagine a character like him showing up in a Star Wars movie. I was kinda bugged in the first chapter when Obi-Wan "thought" a line ("even Master Qui-Gon couldn't have prepared a Jedi for this") and we could hear it. We've never been able to hear the characters' thoughts in the movies.

There are some things that I think were possibly handled a little better. Obi-Wan actually comes across like a real asskicker. The dynamics between the characters come across very well.

18. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Thanks for your comments, Warrior_of_Mandalore. I also think that SWCW has a cool OT feeling, and I also like the dogfights in the battle in chapter 10.
    I think SWCW succesfully combines PT elements with OT elements.

I also agree with jabba_the_nutt, that Durge is too EU'ish, but I don't dislike him. It's a cartoon, and not a live action film.
    I liked Obi-Wan a lot too. He seriously kicked butts, and looked a lot like the wise Jedimaster we've seen in the OT!

19. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    What I wanted to know was, is SWCW what the OT-fans (and mostly PT-bashers) imagined the Clone Wars would be? Do they like it for the way it looks, the story, the fights, the characters and stuff?

Since I meet your criteria, yes, SWCW meets my expectations significantly and has thus far entertained and satisfied my SW fix more than the current movies. The look, story, characterization, etc. are near perfect and aside from minor nit-pickin

20. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Isn't nitpicking what being a basher is all about, k-man? ;)
    Your comments are exactely what I wanted to know. Thanks.
    I seriously can't wait for the second season!

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It's good to know all our hard work getting this thread started finally paid off.

22. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Finally eh? Jabba-wocky? I must say this is my first thread that has more then 2 replies, so I am kinda proud... ;)

23. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Isn't nitpicking what being a basher is all about?

Actually, no, I don't think so. I would define nit-picking as pointing out things like continuity errors or minor things that don't seem to fit. For instance Anakin's suped up fighter in Clone Wars doesn't sit so well with me, but that's far from bashing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.