main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT and Marvel's Darth Vader comic

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chrisf001, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Chrisf001

Chrisf001 Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2014
    Any PT fans reading the recent Darth Vader comic? There are more callbacks to the PT than I would have expected, and they're pretty well handled IMO.

Vader/Ani's history plays very well into the comic . While he's outwardly 'all villain' to the other characters in the book, the occasional flashbacks and actions he takes that only make sense with PT knowledge, add some interesting depth. It creates some poignancy when he thinks back to PT events or when a familiar PT ship shows up. They're short bits, but well used.

SilentGuy66 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that's interesting. i havn't collected comics in quite a white, but that's interesting. i think a couple of the novels over the years touched on that as well. if he'd been able to completely focus his hate perhaps he could have healed himself through the Force, but he couldn't stay focused.

3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It does sort of tie in with Obi-Wan justifying his 'Vader killed your father' line with the explanation that on that day the heroic 'Anakin Skywalker' died and the evil 'Darth Vader' was born/created and it seems that Anakin/Vader has somehow reached the same conclusion (or is trying to), except he can never quite kill the memories of who he used to be... which of course only makes his hatred even stronger. I've always felt the one person he hates more than any other is himself, even if he doesn't consciously know it, and all these little reminders just make it worse.

Chrisf001 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, I haven't read them. Marvel has the opportunity to explore and create new characters and the first thing they do is make an on-going series for most of the main characters of the OT? What a waste...

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Although Marvel's focus on the OT is pretty blatant with these new series, there's plenty here for PT fans too, you just have to know where to look

Chrisf001 and Chris_Fives like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Let's be honest though, if they were for PT characters you and I would both buy them :p

SilentGuy66 and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not necessarily. My criticism would apply had they rushed to make a series about the major characters of the PT. This may seem great and and all, but in the long run, there's no room left to explore those characters if they really want to keep everything canon this time around.

8. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    A Proxy droid once said, "I hate being him," and the response to that was, "I think he does too," It's fully important to say that Vader can't stand himself, and some of the characters know it.

9. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Vader's series is actually really good so far. Got me collecting again. They're just being cautious and building from the foundation. The fact that we're getting a movie about an X-wing pilot makes me think there'll eventually be something new that fits your bill.

As to the PT, I sure hope they keep up with the callbacks in the Vader comic. So far, Marvel's stuff is the best new canon stuff out there, and Vader's comic is my favorite! Hopefully they'll keep up the good work and blend the PT and OT as well as they've been doing.

Chrisf001, jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not questioning its quality, just what they chose to explore on such a big canvas.

Chris_Fives and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Chrisf001

Chrisf001 Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2014
    Agreed. It also ties in nicely with Luke sensing the good/conflict in Vader. Finding his son/children eventually helps him turn away from the Dark side, but I like seeing the doubt in him prior to that.

And there has to be just a bit of self loathing after being told you killed your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Chrisf001

Chrisf001 Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm hoping they'll get to fresh faces the SW comics universe as well. But they're hesitant to do that in the general Marvel U, let alone the SW universe. Fresh, new characters are pretty few and far between at the big two. They just recycle the same characters with a different spin because of the built in audience. Unfortunately I think the market usually rewards them for it rather than what few new concepts they try.

In Vader they at least introduced a new character to work with Vader, and she seems like she'll stick around. Maybe they'll intro characters that way and spin titles out of the core books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So far I just read the first issue.. Was really pleased with it.. I loved that The Emperor was in the Jedi Temple! Pretty big PT element.

Iron_lord likes this.