main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT PT Contradicting OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Master Titus, Mar 7, 2015.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Possible. It's hard to say really.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    darth-sinister thejeditraitor

I'm pretty sure they trained in both hands. Remember, Anakin also dueled Dooku wielding 2 sabers. So I think that's a possibility

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Hayden might have only for the two saber duel, but that doesn't mean much with a single weapon. The majority of the time he uses his left hand over his right, is when he's using in many scenes save for the duel. That is the only time in AOTC, that Hayden switches his grip. Though a couple of times in the Droid Factory, he has it in a right handed grip and switches to it right before the Clonetroopers show up which he uses throughout the rest of the film. Note also that Prowse in ANH switched his hand grip during the duel and I don't think it was a flipping of the film. Though it could have been. Hamill, as I've noted, favors a right handed grip with one exception, when he catches his Lightsaber on the barge, but then switches to a right grip. While he has it the opposite at the start of the duel, it is switched back to a right handed grip.

4. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Maybe these were choreographed choices. Or they thought instead of filming the scene over, just keep these simple imperfections in.

5. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    The difference between the PT & OT could be the same as the differences between the Old & New Testament of the Bible. People can talk about contradictions, but I love the PT & OT. In ANH, Jabba the Hutt was played by a man instead of a slug. In ROTJ, he was played by a slug but the special editions stuck a slug Hutt into ANH. Later, the slug was in TPM. I like special effects. I like Binks. I like the characters in the OT
    In ROTJ, Yoda was telling Luke to kill Vader. Yoda used the word "Confront" which does not mean "Kill" but Yoda doesn't want to totally forgive & let Vader return to the Jedi Order... because... it is kind of emotional.... understand what Yoda & Ben says within the context..... and the context is the OT and not the PT.... they are talking to Luke who did not live in the PT.....
    Luke learned all he needed for killing Vader maybe.... remember that Yoda is not God and Yoda can lie or make mistakes..... Yoda was 900 years old and he said what Luke needed to hear and Yoda was saying things in order to prepare Luke for the fight with Vader...
    Leia saw visions of her mother.... maybe the force allowed her to see her mother in dreams or something..... I like the PT & OT, but if there were a contradiction then it would be in the fighting Emperor of the PT and the Emperor in ROTJ who wasn't able to respond to Vader who threw him in a hole. But the Emperor had about five seconds to react

6. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
  7. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    The Emperor died because he was old, caught by surprise, was thinking about Luke, was busy with force lighting, wasn't able to multi-task, trusted Vader too much, was too blind, too old, too stubborn, too arrogant, too ignorant, too confident, too cocky, too tired, too sick, too blind in the dark side of the force, and was not able to stop in time to save himself from falling to his death? I guess I can accept his death

thejeditraitor and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    After watching how formidable they made Sidious in the PT, seeing how he died in the OT just leaves more to be desired in terms of his death.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  9. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    How Sidious died in OT might be a contradiction of who he was in PT. Spoiler alert, we now know that Darth Maul came back from the dead or never died, thanks to his mother...... and so, if Maul can live, then maybe Sidious can live as well

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
  11. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I was never a fan of Maul' survival. Very unlikely, even with the use of pure hatred. I'd stay away from reviving characters from the dead.

12. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    True that. Which makes it severely unlikely he survived. Well I believe he ceased to exist physically, but remained alive spiritually, idk

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    According to TCW, Sith can't ghost.

The difference is that Maul was capable of retaining his physical form while Palpatine was exploded. The Sith can survive lethal injuries but at least a part of the body needs to be intact.

14. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    According to the comics, Maul's mother used sorcery that kept Maul alive alongside of his dark side temper tantrum obsession

15. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    ehh, is that even considered canon?

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    SOD is canon, yes.

17. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    How was Sidious' death in the OT a contradiction to how he was portrayed in the PT?

18. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    It does not have to be at all.

When Grievous choked Obi-Wan in ROTS, the Jedi could not break free until the cyborg released him. More or less, the same thing happens in ROTJ; Anakin/Vader catches Sidious off-guard and throws him to his doom before he can break free.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    arrogance. the downfall of every sw villain if you think about it.

maul (tpm)
    jango
    dooku
    gg
    vader
    jabba
    boba
    sidious

mes520 likes this.
  20. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Even some of good guys, like the Jedi Order.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    If you don't have any fresh ideas and want to make a movie, you can steal from previous movies and say "it's like poetry, it rhymes" and save yourself a lot of work.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  22. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Just wanted to point out that Hank Aaron, the all time leading homerun hitter not counting the cheating steriod abusers bonds, mcguire etc, used a left handed grip batting right handed. Does it nmake sense for holding a sword, no but it is not essentialy a detriment to hold a bat like that.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The droids not being recognised is a big one I think. I know there are many similar looking droids in the galaxy but Obi Wan is with the droids for a lot of his time on screen in Star Wars on Tatooine, in the Falcon, on the Death Star. How can he not remember them from the prequel era?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the notion that he does remember them - but he's keeping schtum because he doesn't want Luke to know everything yet. "Not ready for the burden were you" as Yoda puts it.

Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan never says that he doesn't remember them. He said, "I don't remember owning any droids." And he didn't. Anakin owned two droids. One that he built for his mother and later gave to his wife, and one that his wife gave to him because they were good friends since Anakin was nine.