main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT PT Contradicting OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Master Titus, Mar 7, 2015.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It's not easy, unless you are as good as he is, basically. But the gist is that he doesn't match up to the power like for like, and doesn't bother trying to block or stop an attack dead - just get enough on it so that the attack doesn't go where it was intended. It's all about taking control of the fight and not letting them build up the momentum in the first place, they can be swinging away as powerfully as they like, as long as they don't actually land a blow it's irrelevant. It's where he eventually failed against Anakin anyway - he couldn't break the rhythm and power won over precision.

2. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    I remember in the RoTS novel, Obi-Wan and Anakin kept switching up their tactics, basically to keep Dooku guessing. For a time it was working, but Dooku just whooped Obi :(

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I must admit I have no idea what the different fighting styles are, the answer really is this: it's not the style, it's the practitioner.
    It's sort of the whole Kung Fu movie of the 70's dilemma. Does Snake conquer Eagle, or must Jackie Chan simply become better at fighting than Hwang Jang-Lee? :p

jakobitis89 likes this.
  4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, Dooku's biggest advantage is that his style is basically designed specifically for lightsaber-to-lightsaber duels, he kept up with their changes and managed to take out Kenobi. At no point was Anakin the superior fighter in terms of control or style, Dooku just couldn't match his strength and speed anymore, he was literally overpowered. Obi-Wan was never going to beat Dooku one on one, at best it would have been precise attack vs resolute defence until eventually Dooku found a way through. If he didn't get tired, he wouldn't get sloppy and Kenobi wouldn't have found the gaps to punish like he did against Grievous and Vader.

5. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Well yeah. Obi-Wan and Yoda both used form 4 Ataru. Obviously Yoda was the better fighter ,so like you said, it's the practitioner, not the style. Obi-Wan is my favorite so that wasn't a knock on him :). In RoTS novel, I believe Mace Windu said Obi-Wan was THE master of form 3 Soresu. I know it was said, just don't remember if it was actually Mace who said it.

jakobitis89 I agree completely.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was:

There is an understated elegance in Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber technique, one that is quite unlike the feel one might get from the other great swordsbeings of the Jedi Order. He lacks entirely the flash, the pure bold elan of an Anakin Skywalker; there is nowhere in him the penumbral ferocity of a Mace Windu or a Depa Billaba nor the stylish grace of a Shaak Ti or a Dooku, and he is nothing resembling the whirlwind of destruction that Yoda can become.
    He is simplicity itself.
    That is his power.
    Before Obi-Wan had left Coruscant, Mace Windu had told him of facing Grievous in single combat atop a mag-lev train during the general's daring raid to capture Palpatine. Mace had told him how the computers slaved to Grievous's brain had apparently analyzed even Mace's unconventionally lethal Vaapad and had been able to respond in kind after a single exchange.
    "He must have been trained by Count Dooku," Mace had said, "so you can expect Makashi as well; given the number of Jedi he has fought and slain, you must expect that he can attack in any style, or all of them. In fact, Obi-Wan, I believe that of all living Jedi, you have the best chance to defeat him."
    This pronouncement had startled Obi-Wan, and he had protested. After all, the only form in which he was truly even proficient was Soresu, which was the most common lightsaber form in the Jedi Order. Founded upon the basic deflection principles all Padawans were taught—to enable them to protect themselves from blaster bolts—Soresu was very simple, and so restrained and defense-oriented that it was very nearly downright passive.
    "But surely, Master Windu," Obi-Wan had said, "you, with the power of Vaapad—or Yoda's mastery of Ataro—"
    Mace Windu had almost smiled. "I created Vaapad to answer my weakness: it channels my own darkness into a weapon of the light. Master Yoda's Ataro is also an answer to weakness: the limitations of reach and mobility imposed by his stature and his age. But for you? What weakness does Soresu answer?"
    Blinking, Obi-Wan had been forced to admit he'd never actually thought of it that way.
    "That is so like you, Master Kenobi," the Korun Master had said, shaking his head. "I am called a great swordsman because I invented a lethal style; but who is greater, the creator of a killing form—or the master of the classic form?"
    "I'm very flattered that you would consider me a master, but really—"
    "Not a master. The master," Mace had said. "Be who you are, and Grievous will never defeat you."
    So now, facing the tornado of annihilating energy that is Grievous's attack, Obi-Wan simply is who he is.

7. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    That was probably my favorite dialogue in the entire book. :D

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It is good. Stover's flowery style isn't for everybody - but I love it enough to forgive his occasional continuity error (Like saying Padme was the youngest ever Naboo Queen elected).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I think she was. I believe that was in the Plagueis novel, when Palpatine was talking to either Valorum, Vidar Kim, or Veruna. I cannot remember for the life of me who he was talking to. But Palpatine told one of them that he was going to make Padme the youngest Queen of Naboo, at 13(?)

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the AOTC movie she says "I wasn't the youngest queen elected, but now that I think back on it, I don't think I was old enough. I don't think I was ready."

On page 373 of the Darth Plagueis paperback:

Jobal blinked and shook her head in disbelief. "Palpatine, she has only just turned thirteen!"
    Palpatine spread his hands. "Naboo has elected younger queens, m'lady. And hers could be a reign that will last fifty years." He refused to yield to Ruwee or Jobal. "The constitution has a provision that would allow the monarchy to become hereditary for a worthy dynasty. And what more worthy family is there than the Naberries?"

11. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    It seems you always have these quotes ready to go LOL, do you have some source that you go to or do you just have a Sheldon Cooper-esque eidetic memory??

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Both. Not quite photographic memory - but I remember a lot of Star Wars stuff I read, and have been collecting SW books and comics extensively.

13. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I just started collecting books 3 months ago. I have about 25 novels

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's probably easier for me to list the SW novels I don't have - which is - Rogue Squadron, and a whole bunch of junior novels, Star Wars Journals, etc.

15. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Are you +/- 100?

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A little over 150 novels - plus a few of the junior novels.

17. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I didn't realize there is that many novels, or are you including comic books?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not including comic books. A look in the back of the most recent paperbacks (like Crucible) should give you the list.

Comicwise - lots, but I'm missing a few, especially the older compilations like The Rebel Thief, Han Solo at Star's End, Chewbacca, Union, Jedi Academy: Leviathan and Escape to Hoth.

19. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    I'm an avid book reader, but I don't think I'll ever get that many books. I remember I read all 5 Game of Thrones books in one summer. I've read 19 Star Wars books in 3 months. I just got 6 more in the mail but 150+ is crazy LOL

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It took me several years to collect them all - and I only really started collecting on a large scale fairly recently - after The Essential Guide To Warfare came out - it was good enough that I wanted to see the many things it was referencing.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Hayden did the same thing in AOTC.

[​IMG]

Hamill only did it in that one shot and the rest of the time he held it right handed.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    unless the frames were flipped.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They weren't flipped. The movie was shot digitally and then transferred to film, for theaters without digital projectors. There were two versions of the film. The main difference was that the digital version had Anakin's cybernetic hand moving while the print version didn't. The VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray versions of the films are all the digital release of the film. I still remember the theatrical version and Hayden used his left hand up until the duel, during which he switched to a right handed style. Starting with ROTS, he only used it right handed.

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    It is good. Stover's flowery style isn't for everybody - but I love it enough to forgive his occasional continuity error (Like saying Padme was the youngest ever Naboo Queen elected).
    -----------

I remember we had a convo about that particular error IL :p

you're more forgiving than I am :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    ambidextrous.