main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Been a really great first week back for this thread. Complex and nuanced discussion, that while intense at times, did not become personal.

I really appreciate all of you. Hope you're having a great weekend.

2. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Since I guess we're talking about the TFA duel, I'd have to say to their credit, they seemed to cover all their bases in the "nitpick" department. Kylo is ("seriously" [face_dunno]) injured and is still in need of completed training per Snoke. (quite the opposite of the "Well Trained" Maul for comparison.) Rey has years of practice with her staff that she can call upon and her midichlorion count is still in question. (TBD until we find out if she's a Skywalker)

Yeah, it's kinda convenient, but I can more or less give it a pass. I'm more stuck on things like Rey being able to use the Jedi Mind trick/fight off Kylo's "mind meld" force powers with a complete lack of training. o_O

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Ach-to. I like the decision to have Rey trained in the ways of the Force on this planet. It's close enough to nature to be thematically similar to Dagobah (complete with trippy Force Cave, probably), but the decision to place the Temple on an Island as opposed to a swamp makes it different enough to be its own thing.
    The place also feels very isolated, and I really love that shot (No. 3) from the TLJ teaser with the sun rising/setting behind the Island.=D=
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Credit:http://reyskyvalker.tumblr.com/post/159799675402/at-night-desperate-to-sleep-you-imagine-an

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Bless you.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics! Part 57

New pics of the cast! Kelly Marie Tran, Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley. John Boyega!

Jedi Knight Fett and DrDre like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The mind duel is truly a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Rey's mind is rudely invaded and at first, she verbally lashes out at the perpetrator ("Get out of my head!"). When he persists, though, she gets desperate and instinctively pushes back until suddenly, she has entered his mind.
    We have to remember that Rey, like Anakin, is established as unusually talented in the ways of the Force. Like him, she instinctively uses the Force while, for instance, flying starships - and it's obvious that she, to paraphrase Ric OliƩ, catches on pretty quick.
    In my world, Rey defending her mind the way she does is not a stretch by any stretch of the imagination ;)

What happens then, when she finds herself entering the mind of Ben Solo and sensing his fears, is that she has inadvertently opened her conscious mind to the larger world of the Force and begins to sense her surroundings in a new way.
    After a little while, she realizes that she can clearly sense and tap into the weaker mind of the stormtrooper behind her. Being the clever creature that she is, she puts two and two together and decides to try out a bit of manipulation.

I know why this seems like a stretch to some of you. Trust me, I really do. It took a little while for me to wrap my head around this scenario, but once I realized that this is probably the intended reasoning behind it, it all just clicked. I'm completely on board with it.

7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The intuition of the mind trick technique is, to me, as explicable as someone coming up to you sat at a table, putting up their hand, as if to handshake, but then they wrestled your arm flat down against the table.

Whether you instinctively resist them successfully or not this first time, from that moment on, you know how to arm wrestle and can challenge or accept a challenge from anyone else in any context.

If Rey feels the force through Ren's attempts to command her to give information against her will (and which she intuitively resists) then she has intuited the technique for commanding others to do her expressed will.

Son of a Bith, DrDre and Lulu Mars like this.
  8. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    If Rey can figure all of this out so easily, then I guess all of the time Yoda spent with Luke and younglings at the Jedi Temple was needless. Apparently, it can be learned in a minute or two. Someone should have told him, lol :p ... if you just use the force on someone, they know how to do it back instantly.

Also, the argument that using a staff explains her being able to use a sword (2 different weapons...) is very weak. The arm wrestling analogy is weak as well. Training and technique are how a smaller guy like Devon Larratt was able to easily beat The Mountain from GOT in arm wrestling.

This didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie anyways. I'm assuming they'll explain more in the next couple movies and trying to poke holes in it now could be pointless.

9. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    You're implying that what Rey has demonstrated one time so far is the be all, end all of Jedi knowledge and proficiency. That's clearly not the case.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Celebration Orlando 2017 Pics! Part 15

More pics from Celebration Orlando 2017! Black Series figs, Battlefront 2, Samurai Star Wars and more!

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Why are the really cool stuff always celebration exclusives? :(

13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes, I do know that he turned his back on everyone. After his Jedi Order was destroyed, Luke just didn't disappear... He "walked away from everything" as per Han Solo. He walked away without telling anyone where he was going (it was just rumors that he went looking for the Temple), he didn't leave a way for people to contact him in case they needed him. Not even his sister...

Furthermore, he found the 1st Jedi Temple, didn't he? So did he contact anyone? Do anything about anything?

No... Luke, even though he knew the First Order was out there, even though he knew Snoke was out there, even though he knew his nephew was out there, he did nothing. He sat on his island overlooking an ocean.

He knew evil was rising, he knew he had a very powerful nephew out there that turned evil.. and what does he do? Nothing...He must have felt the disturbance that was caused as multiple worlds, billions upon billions of souls crying out in terror, that were suddenly silenced... He must have felt the death of Han Solo... Yet he doesn't do anything. No attempts at contact.. no trying to get involved. Just sits on his island...

I get it, you wanna be optimistic, but, to me, TFA sets up Luke as someone that ran away, with the intentions of not being found by anyone, including his friends and family. Even when he knows that evil things have and are gonna happen.

He found the Jedi Temple... So he would have at least made a phone call right? But he doesn't... He just squats at the island.. all sad and stuff. Like I said, I get you wanna be positive and you liked TFA, but, this is what TFA sets up as the new Luke, not me. It's the clear tone that is setup by the movie.

A moment? Before they have a chance? approx 50 seconds of her holding the lightsaber out to him is more than a moment and that is plenty of time for a chance.

The tone of the movie lays out that, just like Han, Luke is not the same man. Things happened, and they both regress and run away.

Han decides he's gonna go back to his life as a bachelor, hiding out as a smuggler, hanging out in bars, and swindling gangsters, instead of dealing with his Son and the responsibilities of a Father .

Luke regresses to not wanting to get involved, that instead of dealing with his Nephew, he runs away because bad stuff happened to him, not leaving a way for his Sister to get a hold of him in case they need him, ignoring the responsibilities of a Master. He ignores all the turmoil that is caused throughout the Galaxy by the First Order, that he clearly has to be feeling, in order to seemingly loathe in self pity.

This is Luke Skywalker? The guy that wouldn't accept what he was being taught to him about his Father? Is now going to get all sad and stuff because of the unfairness of life? Are there answers at the Jedi Temple? maybe.. but what did he do with them? He's going to just sit and wait, because that's what he is being taught to do? That's what he decides? To all of a sudden now, sacrifice Han and Leia, and billions more?

The trailer for The Last Jedi plays off this new arc for Luke, with a clearly downtrodden Luke with the clear inflection of sadness in his voice, and the revelation that he knows only one truth, that the Jedi must end! As I told others earlier in this thread, I didn't make the trailer, or edit it, or approve it. The people that are in charge did. They purposefully included the lines, and the tone for a reason.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Alexrd like this.
  14. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    The first part of Luke's trailer line, "I only know one truth", doesn't sound like Mark Hamill to me. I get the impression that it is actually the modulated voice of another character (may money's on Kylo, maybe Finn). But then again, I could be miss-hearing it.:p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So what we need to know is why he did this. That's what the next movies are for. Also, you could replace the words Luke with Yoda, Snoke with Palpatine, First Order with the Empire & ocean with swamp & it would apply quite well to Yoda post RotS. Yoda even had hundreds of Jedi out in hiding that he could've found & helped. He had years to find new young potential Jedi to train, yet he didn't. How many Jedi did he sense the Empire slaughter over the years? Yet he doesn't do anything. No attempts at contact. No trying to get involved. Just sits at his swamp...

16. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Clearly you've never smoked Dagobah dank

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Never assume anything =P~

Mostly Handless and Darth__Lobot like this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    mikeximus: I'll just say that we haven't heard Luke's story yet. That's what we're going to hear in TLJ.
    Do we know that he's sad? Certainly. Do we know that he's all done with his temple research? Not at all.
    You assume a lot about him, so I'm going to risk an assumption of my own: He has the bigger picture in mind and believes that he'll serve the galaxy better in the long run by doing whatever it is he's doing on Ahch-To.

And something else: We know that the Jedi value patience. Luke may have thought as Yoda once did: "Until the time is right, disappear we will".
    Canon sources tell us that Rey doesn't need to tell Luke who she is (and please, I don't want to get into the whole "We shouldn't have to read books to understand the movies" debate. I bet we'll understand this before long anyway and I bring it up to highlight related points that are in the movies). Could it be that he's known who she is for a long time and watched over her from afar, much like Yoda watched over Luke? Dagobah was familiar to Luke and so was Ahch-To to Rey. She's been dreaming about that place and it seems like Luke had dreamed about Dagobah...
    I bring this up because it's very possible that he's been waiting for her to arrive, for destiny to act, because he's seen that that is the way it has to happen.

BTW: It's 33 seconds, not 50 ;) Have patience with Luke's emotions!

Darth Downunder likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  20. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    For what its worth, I do think that Luke's "it's time for the Jedi to end!" sentiment, actually makes quite a lot of narrative sense in the context of I-IX, considering that the Jedi Order has already failed twice before.
    Obviously the primary blame for both events lies with the individuals who turned against their own (Anakin Skywalker, Ben Solo), but we know that at least with regards to the events of episode III, the Order itself did contribute to Skywalker's fall through their own faults.
    This is completely intentional on the part of Lucas. Note that in ROTS Anakin says "It's not the Jedi way!" twice. Initially to Palpatine when goaded to kill Dooku (he knows his actions here are wrong), and secondly to Mace Windu when the latter is attempting to execute Palpatine. Vader was indeed evil. Nevertheless IMO the implication of the repeated line is that Anakin no longer sees any difference between the Jedi and the Sith, and is not entirely Palpatine's fault either.
    I'm curious to see what the catalyst for Kylo Ren's fall was.

[​IMG]

21. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Edit function on above post had expired.
    ABC news coverage of The Last Jedi teaser...

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh dear.

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Last Jedi style! :cool:

Lady_Skywalker87 and Gamiel like this.
  24. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    about Future content Everyone is asking for a Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie and I love Obi-Wan But so far no one is saying what the story should be

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Good point. There are a lot of supporters of an Obi-Wan spin-off here. Would be great to read some story ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.