main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    TheJediTraitor: I'll rephrase that.

After Abrams's graceless two-hour action figure experiment, the franchise is once again under the command of a genuine artist. Rian Johnson is one of the finest writers/directors in cinema/television, and there is a distinct possibility that Episode VIII could be the best film of the series.

For the first time since 2005, I'm anticipating a SW movie.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you''re entitled to your opinion but it's still ridiculous.

New video of the Star Wars: Episode VIII Dubrovnik set

Rian Johnson, Warwick Davis, speeders, water, Croatians! Dubrovnik Star Wars: Episode VIII filming is happening!

Star Wars: Episode VIII affluent looking extras and a crazy space horse.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I can't believe I am about to say this, but I am already more excited to see what Johnson has to offer to Star Wars than I ever was for Abrams' attempt. I can easily see Episode VIII being one of the best of the saga, where as TFA will remain my distant least favorite of all eight movies (counting TCW movie) in the years to come.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I am so loving what we've been seeing of Episode VIII lately. Looks vastly more interesting than any planet in TFA, perhaps bar Ahch-To.

I have complete faith in Johnson with this project.

5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  6. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    earlchinna likes this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I love this 1800 look and feel. Rian so far, is impressing me with originality.

The setting looks really contemporary and portrays the archaic star wars themes as 1-6.

9. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    If Dubrovnik isn't Naboo but another Naboo-like planet similar to how Jakku wasn't Tatooine but Tatooine-like, I am going to burst a blood vessel. If the films are following up on Luke and Leia being Naboo royals...THAT would be awesome.

Update: oh another rumor is Corellia...that would be cool too.

Red23 likes this.
  10. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004

Yeah I supposed Corellia too... well about "Not-Naboo" I'd say I'm less concerned than the Jakku case, because Croatia's architecture is different from Italie (Abu Dhabi wasn't Tunisia, but they basically just filmed nice dunes...), they will add CG that can be creative, and already the street, with the specific rounded sort of doors kinda reminds of Coruscant underworld too, and they are apparently also filming inside a palace so that should be interesting.... and a beach as well it seems

All in all I think it's pretty exciting stuff! As for the middle chapter, callbacks to holy ESB are a given, I'm just thrilled that the very first things we see actually have an AOTC (rots too) vibe... the speeder crash makes me think of Zam's one, and these pictures, especially the extras, really remind me of the behind the scenes of Coruscant street we got in the french insider in 2000/2001, or the opera scene

I don't know much of Johnson, haven't seen loopers apart from short bits, but from what I read he is considered to be particularly great in complex filmmaking and drama, is that right?
    If so, the drama part is obvious in its intentions, much like Kershner certainly brought a singular weight in his directing unlike any of the other 5 films. As for the complexity I'm beginning to wonder if they hired him also with the task of doing GL's level of visual symphony, borrowing from all 6 movies and especially 5 and 2 in intricate ways, now that the obligatory homage film (ok -mostly-, because there was a little more) is behind.

Sure the few details we have are not enough to back this, but it's promising nonetheless and I'd certainly be pleased. Let's see :)

Dagobahsystem and Tanjint like this.
  11. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Dagobahsystem and earlchinna like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Cool pics. Actually have me intrigued, which is more than I can say for pretty much all the TFA scraps we got.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  14. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    It's funny watching all of the OT fanboys squirm in the episode VIII message boards. They're desperately trying to contextualize it so it "wont be like AOTC" or whatever. The sheer hate these people have, even for the aesthetic choices of the prequels, is mindblowingly irrational. Make no mistake though, with episode VIII, the Republic is back.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i made a video using the new ep 8 pics. for some reason it doesn't have a thumbnail yet.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  20. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Looks nice!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  22. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Hey so this has been on my mind for some time. I think a few weeks or a month ago, I read on these forums that Ep 8 was going to be set heavily in space and focus on the ships. Is that a rumor or was it said by an official source? Does it still hold true? Thanks!

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    never heard that at all.

New video of Star Wars : Episode VIII sets at Dubrovnik – Making Star Wars

Shooting in Dubrovnik in for Star Wars: Episode VIII has wrapped!

24. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.