PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. grd4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    TheJediTraitor: I'll rephrase that.

After Abrams's graceless two-hour action figure experiment, the franchise is once again under the command of a genuine artist. Rian Johnson is one of the finest writers/directors in cinema/television, and there is a distinct possibility that Episode VIII could be the best film of the series.

For the first time since 2005, I'm anticipating a SW movie.
  2. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
    you''re entitled to your opinion but it's still ridiculous.

New video of the Star Wars: Episode VIII Dubrovnik set

Rian Johnson, Warwick Davis, speeders, water, Croatians! Dubrovnik Star Wars: Episode VIII filming is happening!

Star Wars: Episode VIII affluent looking extras and a crazy space horse.
  3. Mr. Forest Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't believe I am about to say this, but I am already more excited to see what Johnson has to offer to Star Wars than I ever was for Abrams' attempt. I can easily see Episode VIII being one of the best of the saga, where as TFA will remain my distant least favorite of all eight movies (counting TCW movie) in the years to come.
  4. bstnsx704 Jedi Master

star 3
    I am so loving what we've been seeing of Episode VIII lately. Looks vastly more interesting than any planet in TFA, perhaps bar Ahch-To.

I have complete faith in Johnson with this project.
  5. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  6. Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master

star 3
  7. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    earlchinna likes this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI} Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I love this 1800 look and feel. Rian so far, is impressing me with originality.

The setting looks really contemporary and portrays the archaic star wars themes as 1-6.
    ThisHurricane and earlchinna like this.
  9. Tanjint Jedi Knight

star 2
    If Dubrovnik isn't Naboo but another Naboo-like planet similar to how Jakku wasn't Tatooine but Tatooine-like, I am going to burst a blood vessel. If the films are following up on Luke and Leia being Naboo royals...THAT would be awesome.

Update: oh another rumor is Corellia...that would be cool too.
    Last edited by Tanjint, Mar 14, 2016
    Red23 likes this.
  10. earlchinna Jedi Master

star 2

Yeah I supposed Corellia too... well about "Not-Naboo" I'd say I'm less concerned than the Jakku case, because Croatia's architecture is different from Italie (Abu Dhabi wasn't Tunisia, but they basically just filmed nice dunes...), they will add CG that can be creative, and already the street, with the specific rounded sort of doors kinda reminds of Coruscant underworld too, and they are apparently also filming inside a palace so that should be interesting.... and a beach as well it seems

All in all I think it's pretty exciting stuff! As for the middle chapter, callbacks to holy ESB are a given, I'm just thrilled that the very first things we see actually have an AOTC (rots too) vibe... the speeder crash makes me think of Zam's one, and these pictures, especially the extras, really remind me of the behind the scenes of Coruscant street we got in the french insider in 2000/2001, or the opera scene

I don't know much of Johnson, haven't seen loopers apart from short bits, but from what I read he is considered to be particularly great in complex filmmaking and drama, is that right?
    If so, the drama part is obvious in its intentions, much like Kershner certainly brought a singular weight in his directing unlike any of the other 5 films. As for the complexity I'm beginning to wonder if they hired him also with the task of doing GL's level of visual symphony, borrowing from all 6 movies and especially 5 and 2 in intricate ways, now that the obligatory homage film (ok -mostly-, because there was a little more) is behind.

Sure the few details we have are not enough to back this, but it's promising nonetheless and I'd certainly be pleased. Let's see :)
    Last edited by earlchinna, Mar 14, 2016
    Dagobahsystem and Tanjint like this.
  11. Tanjint Jedi Knight

star 2
  12. ezekiel22x Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool pics. Actually have me intrigued, which is more than I can say for pretty much all the TFA scraps we got.
    El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  14. AussieRebel Jedi Master

star 2
    It's funny watching all of the OT fanboys squirm in the episode VIII message boards. They're desperately trying to contextualize it so it "wont be like AOTC" or whatever. The sheer hate these people have, even for the aesthetic choices of the prequels, is mindblowingly irrational. Make no mistake though, with episode VIII, the Republic is back.
  15. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  16. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
    i made a video using the new ep 8 pics. for some reason it doesn't have a thumbnail yet.

17. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  18. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  19. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  20. ThisHurricane Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks nice!
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
  22. Antpocalypse Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey so this has been on my mind for some time. I think a few weeks or a month ago, I read on these forums that Ep 8 was going to be set heavily in space and focus on the ships. Is that a rumor or was it said by an official source? Does it still hold true? Thanks!
  23. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 6
    Last edited by thejeditraitor, Mar 17, 2016
  24. El Jedi Colombiano Force Ghost

star 5
  25. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.