main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Those pictures of Carrie were already breaking my heart, and then to read that Episode IX was to be "Carrie's film"?
    =((

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I was actually surprise to hear that since she never filmed all of 9 yeah? Maybe it would be a tribute to her?

3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That's just it; Episode IX was being written to feature her in a role comparable to Han in TFA, but nothing was ever filmed. Now the story that was supposed to happen never will.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe it will. They haven't ruled out recasting. I think they should do that. I'd wheel out Kate Mulgrew.
    Source? Have you read his ST story ideas or are you just guessing? The one hint he gave about his final trilogy was that it would be more "spiritual & ethereal" than the other episodes. That implies less focus on political allegory. Also, the main allegory in the OT was the typical nasty totalitarian regime & the allusions to Nazis. All of which the current ST has retained.
    Huh? He was simply letting Luke know that the saber belonged to his father. A fairly significant piece of information. After giving it to Luke it became his. In ESB Lando referred to the Falcon as his ship. I guess it was never Han's ship after all. As for C-3PO, clearly we need to forever refer to him as Anakin's droid o_O

PymParticles likes this.
  5. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well, no matter what is done with Leia, IX won't be Carrie's triumph.
    I don't know what I think about recasting. My gut reaction is to recoil in horror, but really I recoil in horror at the realization that Carrie's gone, period. I honestly have no idea what they should do. I do not envy the makers of IX one bit.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I love CF as much as any fan, but the story & the character are paramount. No reason why the character should be shunted aside bcs the actor is no longer with us. I hope they place story integrity above all other concerns.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Glad that I have The Unifying Force novel as my end of the Saga with Luke, Han, Leia, Jaina, Jacen, Ben, Lowie and Lumpy all starring with mentions of Anakin Solo and Chewbacca at the end.

So let them do whatever they want with TLJ and E9.

8. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    Unfortunately I suspect they will most likely just say that Leia was killed off-screen between movies.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Claudia Grey novel most likely.

10. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Honestly I'd prefer that to either recasting or unused footage/CG recreation. Although I can understand why some would prefer to keep the character alive.

Edit: If Carrie Fisher's performance in TLJ is as good as people have been saying it is, I would rather they let that movie be Leia's send-off, than attempt to resurrect her.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    She lost the will to live...
    o_O

12. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    In childbirth?:eek:
    Rey Solo confirmed!:D

B99 likes this.
  13. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    If things go from horrible in TFA to worse in TLJ I would not blame Leia one bit for just laying down and dying. ;)

14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Recasting such an iconic role (I mean Leia IS Carrie) would be sacrilegious. Especially so soon after her passing. I would be more willing to give a convincing CGI recreation a chance, but further down the line. It would be extremely insensitive to recast her already.

B3 likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Speaking of Leia, enjoyed this Colbert interview with Oscar. Some good Carrie content.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    My point was about the reporter who seemingly has a real lack of knowledge about film-making or thinks it was made one way in the past and is fundamentally different now. As wildly different as they are in so many ways the basics of building sets and going to locations (if they decide to do that) is very basic.

Yes it's an odd trend that you see in marketing of movies now where they like to talk about "practical" for whatever reason. The redefinition of it to where creating sets and using locations is "practical" is really amusing to me. When the OT was being made building sets and going to locations was not part of the practical envelope. All movies were doing that. Is The Godfather a practical effects driven movie because they used sets and went to locations? Of course not.

In terms of Star Wars building on a set and then using "greenscreen" ie creating backgrounds that aren't there was the whole point in the first place. So why there is some sense of achievement to do things in a way that is against the pioneering of Star Wars is rather bizarre.

Mostly Handless and heels1785 like this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    QRB - I gotcha. I was responding more to Quantum, who clarified his position afterwards. I don't dispute your point regarding the quality of journalism/depth of understanding by the author of the article.

18. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    totally agree with this sentiment.

19. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    I expect its just that, a marketing trend that will eventually go out of fashion, and be replaced with something else. It is a little ironic though, considering that film itself has always been about creating the illusion of something that isn't.

20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Precisely. And besides, just why in gods name would these people, (according to those who, lets face it really need to grow up) continue to throw in these ridiculously perceived digs at the way George Lucas technically chose to film his prequel story that was made over 12 years ago?..
    I'd perhaps have some empathy if these supposed asides were about acting, direction and script. But the visuals?

DarthCricketer likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think it's a dig at Lucas personally, but stuff like "loads of actual, hand-built sets" does nothing to convince me that TLJ is going to be a good Star Wars movie. That's like saying the next movie features "lots of costumes!!!" Disney's marketing continues to miss the mark for me, as has their actual content thus far. Hopefully TLJ is a step in the right direction, but I'm not really convinced at the moment. Hopefully I get to keep my grown up status for this opinion.

22. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I don't really see how the marketing of a film reflects badly on the quality of a writer/director's film?

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Baffling to me personally how someone can supposedly convince themselves they will not like a film that's still over 6 months from release? I'd hate to be like that.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    At least wait until the trailers.

Then again, we have to wonder what scenes will be seen or not seen. So, [face_dunno]

Jcuk likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't hate TLJ.

I've just seen nothing particularly exciting about it. Sure, there might be some nice Luke stuff, but the new characters from TFA were all really weak, so seeing their stories continue provides no anticipation for me.

The trailers haven't shown much unusual, I suppose Ach-to might be nice to see a bit more, but it's still a rather simple planet, just an island.

Other than that, it's still the OT-lite, the Empire vs. Rebels, X-wings vs. TIEs, AT-ATs. All the stuff that was already boring in the last movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.