main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The palm tree planet with the invading Empire was such a Lucas-esque level of bizarreness. I love it! Hurry up December!

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said otherwise. My point though was that with ROTS, Lucas was aware that kids would go and that overtly sensitive parents would worry, which is why he lobbied for PG-13. Not because he was targeting an older audience, but because he was warning the parents so that they knew what they were getting into. Even parents don't want a ten year old seeing something that they think that they cannot handle, when odds are, they can. And despite all that, five year old still went to see the films because the parents saw the PG rating and knew that it was for kids as much as adults.

Except he fell in before he could activate them.

Or he was too busying pushing Threepio off the barge that he didn't bother to use them. Threepio cannot fly and he cannot carry him.

3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Lucas knew the PG-13 was going to happen, it had nothing to do with making the movies for older kids because of some belief that Star Wars was evolving to a more adult or older kid theme.

Even with the PG-13 he would still take a 9 to 11 year old by his own admission.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-wars-goes-to-hell/

So essentially he's saying it's the first Star Wars film he wouldn't take a 5 or 6 year old too.

4. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    What also bothers me is the Donnie Yen scene and I like very much movies with martial arts, but come one, he looks like real Shaolin monk here. I like the references of the real world in SW, but they generally are subtle and elegant. Here I see something very literal and I don't like it. I will not going to discuss the Disney obsession for staffs, because it will result in something very Freudian, ;) but come on, this is the galaxy far away, where the laser blaster is considered as something primitive. They should show much more imagination in creating primitive weapons that a simple staff.

Torib, ezekiel22x and Ezon Pin like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Nice hand-waving. So R2's rockets were never needed in the entire OT? In RotJ he was happy to just bury himself head first in the sand? Even though he could've shoved 3PO off as he took off, or at least fired his rockets & given himself a nice soft landing. How about when he had to travel across Tatooine in ANH? Even when he detected creepy Jawas lurking about in the canyons he seemed reluctant to take off. I think the answer is obvious. In between trilogies he developed a fear of flying ;)

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Darth Downunder wrote

Nice hand-waving. So R2's rockets were never needed in the entire OT? In RotJ he was happy to just bury himself head first in the sand? Even though he could've shoved 3PO off as he took off, or at least fired his rockets & given himself a nice soft landing. How about when he had to travel across Tatooine in ANH? Even when he detected creepy Jawas lurking about in the canyons he seemed reluctant to take off. I think the answer is obvious. In between trilogies he developed a fear of flying ;)

What the...?!?

Since when is the OT held accountable for the PT retcons? In this case the PT aficionados better come up with a rationalization and not the other way around, as demonstrated commendably by Darth Downunder.

7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I want Hayden as darth.

8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I consider myself a PT fan, and I quite liked the trailer. One of my fears for the film was that it could be to gritty for it's own good, with none of that star wars feeling. Yet the teaser erased those worries as the footage showed it still has that star wars feel but has a grittier aesthetic as well, making it unique.

AniLukeRey likes this.
  9. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Not all of us deliberately pretend that it is the OT that made the mistake. It embarrasses me when I see people do that.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  10. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Here's my attempt at a rationalization: the high efficiency rocket fuel required for astromech boosters also has military applications (for example as fuel for missiles) and the Empire at some point limits private sale of it, perhaps to conserve supply for itself.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Or they just broke after 20 years.

12. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    That's what I go with. At some point after ROTS, the boosters gave out and they never got them fixed. It's not a mistake on the PT's part and certainly not on the OT's. It's simply a case of the two trilogies taking place 20 years apart--literally anything could have happened to those boosters in that time frame.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Cant speak for those people, but for me: nope. I dont like TFA but I am very excited for Rogue One. Looks like a return to form.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that they weren't needed, just that he didn't get a chance to use them. In ROTJ, he heard Luke tell Leia to point the gun at the deck, which is why he rushed to get Threepio and himself off the deck. And he still had a soft landing since he went into the sand.

Too far a distance for his rockets for flying across the Dune Sea. As to being in the canyon, he doesn't know what's around him and if it would be wise to fly or not.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    R2 may of used his rockets 2 escape the swamp monster on Dagobah.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    [face_laugh]

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Four words: Return of the Jedi.

I love that we're getting such a variety of characters and cultures. Including the possibility that Donnie Yen is some kind of warrior monk who's a "purist" about using very traditional, primitive weaponry. This adds to the character of this team, and goes beyond "look at this cool weapon."

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Seems strange that when the Rebels repaired him, seemingly like new at the end of ANH they wouldn't get his rockets working ;)

DarthCricketer likes this.
  20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Rebels? Really? That show already does it's own thing.

21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It also seems to have an actual practical function as a cane to help him move around. In the first shot we see of him, his left hand is outstretched slightly and he's using the cane to "see." He's making himself appear vulnerable and helpless to those around him, like, say, the stormtroopers he then beats the crap out of. It's not just a weapon.

22. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think some people (and not only on this thread) read waaay too much into a TEASER trailer. Not even really the full length version, just the trailer of a trailer. The most pared down and restricted version. The actual trailer and whatever other advertising fluff we get in between now and release will give us a much better idea of what kinds of characters we're dealing with here. Look at Suicide Squad where it was initially all dark and gloomy and super cynical and then we get a trailer scored to flipping Bohemian Rhapsody... different tone entirely and that was BEFORE the reshoots they apparently did. Point being... let's just wait and see. The '... I rebel' line could work in many different ways depending on how its used in the actual film... if it is, at all.

And the 'main character is totally generic' complaints... eh. Don't have time for those at all. You could swap in various (male or female) characters and give them very similar footage from their own films but in the actual movies, they're very different. Han Solo, Katniss Everdeen, Star Lord even... they all have certain 'action movie protagonist' traits, yes. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTION MOVIE PROTAGONISTS. They also happen to have several distinguishing characteristics and this could well be the same.

TX-20, Colwyn Ren and Ezon Pin like this.
  23. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Well, I'm just going by the editing of the trailers, the tone and main character.

She "Looks" generic based on how they show her right now(as some of the other characters) Not "is". We don't know for sure. But yes, there is not much in the trailers.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  24. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I think the movie looks exciting, some nice scenes here and there, and even Mon Mothma.

To be honest, after seeing the lazy shadowtrooper design i had zero expectations. But the action scenes seem quite good. :)

I'm guessing we will never see any interesting alien worlds anymore with George gone, just your typical earth fauna :(

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    looks good. much better than the force awakens trailers. im looking forward to the film now (had no prior expectations really)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.