main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't have any jokes on repeat EP [face_clown]

DarthCricketer likes this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Based on watching all the special features for every SW film multiple times, I feel comfortable saying that TFA used less cgi than AotC, for example. This is neither here nor there as I love BOTH of those films.
    I assume Episode VIII will have a lot of cgi, but probably less than RotS. I'm just making an assumption.
    Again, this is no big deal either way, to me. I love all 7 films and I cannot wait for RO and Ep. 8.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Episode 8 SPOILER Set Pics! Part 8

4. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

Is it just me or do I here "Battle Of The Heroes" playing?;)

5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Just weighing in here with my, '2 cents' as American folk are fond of labelling it. And it's with regards to some fans consistently picking at, and lamenting the use of real environments for these films. I understand the want of some fans for the inclusion of fantastical, 'alien' planets, but an entirely green screen shoot then creates problems pertaining to tactility and immersion for the actors IMO. And yes, The Jungle Book does look exceedingly good, but there is only one human in the entire film, a child ( massive respect to Favreau btw). It also helps that the CGI environment realised is that of a jungle. Something that is instantly recognisable. Having a far out, wacky CGI world in these new films would seem detached for me. For example, the Hosnian Prime scene in TFA felt completely unrelated to the rest of the film visually due to the heavy CGI in my mind. And that is not the overall tone Disney are aiming for with their Star Wars. One which I myself happen to be totally onboard with.

7. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    The thing is Star Wars is meant to be fanatasy. Realism just doesn't work for this saga. I dont wanna see earth like planets I wanna see unworldly planets like we got with the PT. And truly good actors can act in front of anything so I don't buy that green screen excuse. I want more CGI in these films and less practical.

8. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Correction You want more GOOD CGI that adds to the film, not that makes it.
    Look at the Space/Planet/Trench battle as an example. It was boring. There was no tension or threat to these characters. When a pilot went down, they weren't anything.

Now compare that to the Death Star battle in ANH, see the difference. Tension, action, threat. And this was done 40 years ago!

So yes I agree with you on the other points but CGI isn't good enough on its own. It needs meaning and a story.

The PT did that.

9. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Well IMO the PT had GOOD CGI and I want more of that good CGI in the newer films. I'm sick of them using outdated effects to cater to OT purists. It's not 1977 anymore time to get with the times. CGI has come along way since the PT it looks even better now than ever. Its time to make SW exciting again and also about breaking the boundaries in filmmaking technology.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    IMO the CGI in the PT has aged terribly in places. The technology is now far better but I still want as much location filming as possible. Can't beat a stunning real location like Skellig Michael. There are places on Earth that are as distinct & as otherworldly as anything a techno-geek can create on a pc. The less SW created in a computer the better.

11. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    I will give you Skellig Michael that was a beautiful location and Abrams was smart to use it but personally the PT CGI has aged like fine wine. I will take Naboo and Corsorucant any day over Jakku or any of the planets in TFA besides Skellig Michael. So I disagree the more SW created on a computer the better.

Valency Jane and Red23 like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Each to their own. I don't call obvious & glaring computer generated environments "fine wine". The whole time I'm aware I'm looking at unconvincing pixels. That's ok if I'm watching a cartoon like TCW but it should be kept to a minimum in SW. And that's now let alone with early 2000's technology. TFA struck a perfect blend of location shooting with CGI enhancements. Thankfully it looks like VIII is following the same method.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Everything ages.

The PT's CGI was groundbreaking in every way. In fact, even though technically TFA has better advanced CGI, the PT was so creative and unique, it beats out some the CGI of today's standards.

Plus, the CGI from back then had weight added to them. CGI today lack that.

14. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes too each their own but I have to call BS on anyone that calls the CGI in the PT "Cartoony". It seems most ppl fail to understand the difference between an actual cartoon and CGI effects. Also TFA didn't capture the perfect balance it tried to hard to pretend its still 1977 it needed much more CGI and alien planets.

Red23 likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well TCW is a CGI cartoon. Alot of the PT, esp AotC looks very similar. It's the same technology after all. There are sequences that look awful now in HD. Sections of that movie that just don't look like a live action movie, which it's supposed to be.

16. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014

Well to each their own I personally feel they still look amazing even better on blu ray :)

17. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yeah, I'll have to respectfully disagree that a lot of the effects in the PT are dated. Most of it still looks great. I think the only shot that seems off to me (on the top of my head) is one of the close ups of Yoda during the Battle of Geonosis...but that's really it. Maybe a couple of things in the droid factory scene.

Something being done real and in camera vs. CGI really has no bearing on if something is going to be dated, in my opinion. Half of the visual effects in the OT, particularly in the Battle of Yavin, look terribly dated to me--and those were done with models. The matte paintings in ROTJ stand out like a sore thumb, and on and on. Eventually we'll reach a time, I'm sure, where the CGI in TFA may look "dated" to some. That's just an eventuality with technology and visual effects. There's the innovation and then there's the improvement that makes the innovation pale in comparison.

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    unknown if they're actually "canon" but...

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rian Johnson worked with Claudia Gray on Bloodlines.

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Episode 8 SPOILER Set Pics! Part 9

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Episode 8 SPOILER Set Pics! THE FALCON! Part 10

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well that has to be the biggest PT reference yet. The design of the First Jedi Temple looks awesome. Very cool that the one on Coruscant was of a similar aesthetic:

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    ↑ Those are some very prequel looking sets.:)

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Episode 8 SPOILER Set Pics! AHCH-TO! Part 11

25. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Eh planets like Felucia from EP III I will concede look pretty dated however, most of the coruscant scenes look great especially considering when they were done. There needs to be a nice balance between both real world sets and more non worldly ones so that the environment and visual imagery stays varied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.