main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's really not. For example, Simon Pegg was a crew member.

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The guy didn't probably have any intention of insulting the PT but the marketing team used it to do just that.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    The problem with the "desert" quote is just not the real desert thing, that is not really what made it a shot at the prequels... What made it a shot at the prequels was what came before the "real desert" non-sense. Here is the whole quote:

Clearly this isn't some guy expressing how happy and "stoked" he is to be filming in a desert. From the full quote we see the all too familiar verbiage that was such an obvious pushed set of talking points... "physicality" is in the same line of talking points that we heard over and over again... "Real"... 'Practical"... "Tangible"... "retro"..."the old ways".. etc etc

Also, notice that the gentleman says "movies" plural... so again, in context to what is being talked about, Star Wars, clearly he is referring to JJ trying to bring physicality to not just this movie (TFA), but these movies, in other words the Trilogy (he is the Exec Producer for 8 and 9). The tone is clear that "these" movies are getting something that those other movies didn't have... Can anyone guess what those other movies might be?

Again, this comment was clearly in reference to the mindset and false narratives that the prequels didn't have physicality to them because they weren't in "real" places, or used "real" sets, or "practical" effects... That Disney and Abrams were giving the fans what they wanted and what they didn't get from those bad prequels...

Edit: Clearly the gentleman is comparing, not just stating...

Disney and Abrams played on nostalgia all the way from the marketing, right up into the film...

And as this approach made Disney a ****load of money, I have no faith in them breaking the formula...

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You'd call a celebrity cameo a crew member? Pegg famously hates the PT, which he's perfectly entitled to do. This guy was just saying they're using practical effects as much as possible in the movie. It's true that these days alot of movies would film desert scenes on a sound stage with CGI backgrounds. Some prequel fans took this as a crack against Geonosis. I can't see it.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 63

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    The fact that that man was a crew member let alone a cast member (Or "Creative Advisor) in a Star Wars film makes me very angry.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well LFL under George cast him in TCW & before that invited him to the premiere of RotS. So new-Lucasfilm is just following their lead.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Daniel Seery@Dannomyte_79 11 hil y a 11 heures
    @pablohidalgo any chance we will ever see George Lucas treatments for Episodes 7, 8, 9.

Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @Dannomyte_79 Maybe once the trilogy is done? And it was only for 7.

[face_dunno]

9. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I will say it again... I have little faith in anything Star Wars from Disney...

10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe his treatments for 8 and 9 were much more abstract than for 7?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 64

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    And we all know how wonderfully mature he was when he aired those grievances, amirite?

13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    "How dare someone be involved in the creative process state his unequivocal preference for practical effects!" that's how it reads. @tjt is right, it is blowing things out of proportion, and choosing to get angry about it is, well, your choice.

I wasn't interested in seeing the Lucas treatments, but after watching a video yesterday on youtube, I definitely am keen to learn more!

Dark Horse comics did this thing where they adapted a comic miniseries of an early treatment of A New Hope which was drastically different. I'd love to see Marvel do the same for the Lucas treatment of the prequels eventually, once IX is out!

Darth Downunder and theMaestro like this.
  14. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    That Lucas version does seem pretty interesting. From the looks of it, perhaps the "Rey" character was supposed to search for Luke with the map while the "Kylo" character studied Darth Vader at the castle. And funny enough, my favorite plot element from TFA was the "find Luke" portion, so I think I would have really enjoyed a closer film adaptation of Lucas' treatment. I do hope that, one day, the Making of TFA book comes out unfiltered so that we can know the truth of what those stories were originally intended to be. Still, maybe the reason Lucas' ideas haven't been revealed is because they're actually going to be used for 8 and 9? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Was hoping to get some new info from that video. Was just a summary of the already known facts.

16. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Ah, but some of those facts were new to me! :)

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's good. There was a long & intensive discussion about this late last year. We went through all of that info & more.

18. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    No one is saying a person can or cannot have a preference, that is a straw man. What is being said is how these preferences were being used in the marketing for TFA as an obvious way to pander to those fans whom felt the Prequels were nothing but CGI, which is a false narrative.

The gentleman in the video is certainly entitled to have an opinion in practical vs cgi and he is certainly entitled to liking it hating the prequels. What is clear though is he is drawing comparisons! Anytime someone uses "these" there is almost certainly a those... We know the "these movies" are the Sequel Trilogy JJ is a part of. What are those movies? Certainly not the OT because JJ couldn't help himself in almost every interview from going on about how real and tangible the OT was, specifically ANH. So those movies, in the context of Star Wars trilogies is clearly the PT.

However, again this is not just about the opinion of one man, in one video. This is but a piece of the bigger picture that came out of Disney an LFL thru its marketing.

Star Wars Celebration of 2015 is where the whole real, practical effects marketing campaign and the subversive shots at the PT really hit front and center.

When Kennedy and Abrams were brought out, one of the first questions asked was...

Since the questions asked by the DJ are written by Disney it is clear what the intent of the question was.

Retro approach? This time around?

On top of that later on the DJ had to make sure to point out that there were "practical x-wings" made and than to top it off there was the BB-8 stunt where they bring out this working BB-8 droid and JJ fawns over how they wanted to use a real BB-8 droid on set and not a CGI one... Only for everyone to find out later in an article on SW.com that the fully functioning droid on stage never made it into the movie. It was completed after the movie had been filmed, and what was used in the movie were a number different types of droids, mostly some were puppets on the me of a stick, but there was one that was simply a bowling ball version they would literally roll through the shot... Yet, at celebration they really wanted people to draw a parallel between what JJ was saying about using a real BB-8 and the functioning droid they rolled out on stage.

Add to that various other panels, videos, interviews, scrapping of treatments because it was too similar to elements of the PT...It became real clear, real fast what they were aiming for and at what trilogies expense it was coming at.

Couple that with blatant Disses at the prequels like Abrams comments about putting Jar Jars bones in the desert of Jakku, and Kennedy's remark about how fans shouldn't worry about the age of Han Solo in the spinoff, as they weren't going to make him an 10/11 year old, it again was clear what section of the fandom they were trying to endear themselves too.

So you can summarily dismiss the opinions of those of us that see the desert line as something more than just a guy giving his opinion, but, to us, it was Disney that did it to themselves as the comment itself and the video it was used in fall right inline with the tone they had set. If fans are taking that single quote out of context, it's Disney's fault, and not because the fans are being jerks just to be jerks... At least IMO...

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Speaking of retro we seem to be looking backwards in this thread lately instead of into the future. I mean TFA itself is looking into the past. But the marketing of TFA?!?

20. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    So? It's been a civil sidebar to the discussion, well with the exception of one member who's still upset at some of us for how we treated poor poor JJ Abrams...

I think it's totally fine as long as it's civil and sense there is a lull of information in regard to any of the movies...

It's not like we're talking about the hangar scene in a thread about embittered fans now are we...

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 65

22. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Same here the direction they are going in for the ST doesn't appeal to me. There is more to this saga than OT rehashes.

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 66

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 67

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Russian R1 poster. Very Saving Private Ryan vibe:

[​IMG]

New R1 Vader image:

[​IMG]

Great R1 toy ad:

Deliveranze and DarthAnakin96 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.