main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Jones still sounds kind of weird to me in the latest trailer. Like her inflections are just a bit off.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

The "Mystery Box" is just an excuse and a cover for bad story telling.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The plot for TFA was on MakingSW or one of those sites early 2015.
    Not getting into the ANH rehash thing in, which the plot was known since 1977.
    A possible plot for E8 is out now.

If they changed some things up and kept it quiet, all the better. But for an ANH somewhat redux?

Just hope that Rey's and Finn's parentage mystery is worth it.

Cryogenic likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER POSTER Pics! Part 80!

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Might be that Oxbridge accent. Good elocution is not exactly a rarity in Star Wars, but Felicity Jones does bring the posh.

Well, I left my remark open-ended. I think it's pretty clear what my own opinion is. ;)

[face_laugh]

I love your cutting succinctness.

I also love your videos. Great work.

And Part 80??? You've been at this a long time, TJT, a long time. ^:)^

Deliveranze and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Kind of odd to "hate" an actor or actress just bcs you're not a fan of their work. What do you find punchable about Felicity Jones' face? In another post you call her abhorrent. Is she a neo-Nazi in her spare time? Which other actresses would you like to punch in the face? Actually don't answer that.

9. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

I am praying they're not legacy characters from a recognizable family. I feel that's too cheap and soap opera. We already have Ben Solo, and that's enough to connect to the OT for me. I'm hoping Rey is not part of some big lineage, esp not a Skywalker, and I'm hoping that the people who are guessing Finn is a Calrissian are wrong too, because ugh. It would just feel far too contrived.

10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    there is no mystery. finn was taken by the fo and rey was left on jakku. it doesn't have to mean anything.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I've always stuck to the opinion that Rey is completely unrelated to the Skywalker lineage. And the ST will be all the better for it.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I personally want at least one good descendant of the Skywalker/Solo family. Way too depressing other-wise imo.

13. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Nothing could make these Disney movies any more depressing, after Harrison Ford's mercy kill removal from the series at the hands of his wimpy "son", while Mark Hamill is nowhere to be seen and forced to just stand around and piss off the ledge of a cliff on some random island.

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Why does every force sensitive have to be Skywalker related? The whole thing has to move on at some point after all. Otherwise you're just going round in circles, am I wrong?

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I want one more. Not the entire galaxy.

You really want Ben/Kylo Ren to be the only Skywalker descendant for the entire trilogy?
    We don't even know if he will get a Vader redemption moment. And if he does, we get another Anakin clone? Yawn.
    Makes the Saga way too depressing and repetitive imo.

Don't jinx it. You'll only make it worse for the next two movies.
    And it could be worse.
    Rey and Ben are related somehow, and Rey kills Ben and doesn't try to redeem him. Luke orders Rey to kill Ben. Ben kills Leia. If not, Leia doesn't talk to either Rey or Luke ever again. Trust me, it could be worse.

16. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I haven't gotten too involved in any spoilers for Rogue One or for Episode 8. Any excitement or anticipation for Star Wars movies has been subdued by my disappointment with TFA.

With the current Rogue One trailer, I still see a very generic hollywoodish main hero in Jyn Erso. I can appreciate that some like the idea of another Star Wars main hero having issue with a father that works for the Empire, but, I could have done without that idea. I said it earlier in this thread. I would have preferred a more Captain Miller type (Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan). Someone that isn't directly affected by the War or doesn't have some personal reason to want to fight, but, is there because reluctantly because it's the right thing to do, not out of revenge, or because of daddy issues or because of heritage. To me it plays better with the theme of the average person that stands against the Empire. If everyone has a backstory that the Empire destroyed their home, destroyed their planet, killed their parents, took their daddy away from them, or kicked their sick dog, it's just the same old same old...

It's actually quite amusing... I used to play the online game Star Wars Galaxies. In the game, the players could create a back story to their character and make it available for others to read in their profile. It was actually amusing that the vast majority of people that sided with the Rebellion chose a storyline that involved them joining the Rebels because the Empire did this or that to their home/parents/planet/friend etc etc etc... It was actually refreshing to read a more thought out approach by people that chose the Rebellion because of ideology, or even a less than moral attitude of joining the rebellion because it gave them the opportunity to kill but with a clear conscious...

I know it's Star Wars, but, one of the things that did excite me about this one is that it was supposed to be a more gritty war movie. I didn't expect to see kids holding their intestines, but, when a lot of people (supposedly in the know) were making comparisons to Private Ryan, I was excited to see the idea that our hero's are also school teachers from some little unknown towns in our respective countries that joined because it was the right thing to do to fight the evil they saw, that carried out their missions, to their death because it wasn't about them. School teachers that didn't have a rap sheet that made them special and qualified, just a normal person. Not all heroes are the ones that join because a family member was at Pearl Harbor, or because the Empire destroyed their home, planet, killed their parents etc etc...

I guess that's why I am so interested in the stories of WW2, the vast majority of those men and women that served didn't have any kind of special qualification or training that made them a hero, just something that is inherent to most of human kind, the ability to go beyond ourselves. I would much prefer Erso be that in Rogue One rather than this special person, whom who it seems is great at fighting, whom has this unique life lesson that makes her specifically qualified for the mission, oh and that BTW just so happens to be the daughter of the guy that built the very super weapon that her mission is all about and she just happens to be the bad asses of bad asses with the bad ass one liner "This is a Rebellion isn't it? I Rebel".... I still really don't like that line...

Of course her team, her supporting cast could be the more specialized people of the group. The people there for revenge, and all that other Star Warsy stuff. The warriors, the bad asses... The fantasy stuff that could have surrounded a more realistic hero... Like Chirrut Imwe!

I loved the idea behind Chirrut Imwe, until I found out that he didn't have any Force Abilities:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/chirrut-imwe

When I first thought he had some Force abilities I was really interested in his character. I loved the idea that the Force wasn't gone, that it was still out there in regular people (even in very small amounts). That the Force was still trying to fight through the darkness, and not delegated too people named Skywalker, Yoda, Obi Wan, or the Emperor...

Even Chirrut's line "I fear nothing! All is as the Force wills it" gave me goose bumps the first time I heard him say it. It reminded me of Qui Gon "Finding him was the will of the Force, I have no doubt about that". So the idea that there was a character in Rogue One that while not a Jedi, felt and carried the Force with him was promising for me. The ideal that the Force was still trying to fight through the imbalance However, while he is faithful to the force, all he is, is a guy with a stick that somehow can elude lasers and as the power to draw stromtroopers with weapons that can fire at him from great distances, to within stick range of himself... Very disappointing...

I am interested in Jedha... I am excited at the possibility of getting some lore added to the story of the Jedi. I am excited to see the battles as well. It seems morbid to say this, but, I am hoping to see that the Rebellion had to pay an absolutely horrific price to earn their first victory and get the Death Star Plans to Leia's ship. The Empire still has to be a real, huge, dangerous, galactic threat by the end of this movie. The Rebellion just can't walk away from this unscathed and the Empire's reputation than rests on Darth Vader showing up in the final few minutes, possibly choking someone out etc etc...fingers crossed though...

I dunno... I think generic and cliched are the best words for me on my feelings so far on what I've seen... The few things that actually wowed me are starting to fade away. The bad ass hero, with the bad ass qualifications, with the bad ass rap sheet, and the bad ass one liner, are generic, been there done that in a lot of other movies... A hero that is motivated because of what the big bad Empire did to them.. been there done that... A main character that has daddy issues that pits them against one another, been there done that Twice now! Though I will admit with this last point, the movie may or may not play out that way. The daddy could be a captive of the Empire being forced to make the weapon, however, a difference in ideology seems like the route they would go.

I will be there though, opening night to see it. I am a Star Wars fan, and it is a Star Wars movie... I am really really hoping they turn down the nostalgia for this one. I don't need what they are doing in the show Rebels, where in every show there are multiple call backs to scenes from the OT... I fully expected to see stormtroopers, and tie fighters in this one, it fits within the timeline of the story that's being told, so that nostalgia is less obvious.

I just watched Independence Day 2... and that was a horrible movie (imo) because of all the cliched and generic story telling, and the eye rolling call backs to the first movie with the obvious attempts at nostalgia... Hopefully Rogue One won't go down that road.

Hoping Rogue One surprises me...

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Interesting. However it's not a case of her "just so happening" to be the daughter of the guy who built the DS. That's the whole reason she's been found & conscripted at all. IMO this is necessary bcs after the first teaser I was questioning why they needed her. Why would the Rebellion go to all that trouble to find & recruit one random mercenary girl for this mission? If the only reason (that the first teaser seemed to imply) was that she was an "ultimate badass" with a unique skill-set I'd find that a bit eye-rolling. The connection with her father makes sense of her involvement. Also if you have a cynical mercenary character as a lead you need to find a personal motivation for them. Otherwise they're going to be too cold & aloof as a protagonist. The teaser didn't give any reason for her accepting this mission. Seemed she just did it because Mon Mothma asked nicely. When things start going to **** & her life is in danger it would've been hard to buy her staying on mission for no good reason.

To me there was no way they could choose an every-man schoolteacher type for this type of crucial targeted mission. That's a character who's a rank & file soldier like in SPR. One just doing his job like thousands of others. As a generalist soldier, not on a pre-planned special ops style mission. In R1 the most obvious choice for the lead was an experienced & capable Rebel operative who leads the mission bcs they're a Rebel operative. Bit of a boring choice though as the main protagonist. Capt Cassian fulfills this part anyway. Once they decided to go with an outsider as the lead one option was an earnest moral type determined to do the right thing like Luke Skywalker. To be different & less generic they went with the cynical smart-ass as the main protagonist rather than the supporting character they're more commonly seen as. IMO this is more interesting than either of those obvious (& more common) choices. Given that character type a personal motivation was necessary to make sense of their commitment to the mission.

Tonyg and seventhbeacon like this.
  18. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015
    I understand the desire to have one "good" Skywalker/Solo. Like, perhaps Ben had a twin sister they didn't mention (that's not Rey). Or heck, maybe Luke is hiding his kid and naturally-talented Rey has to make the Skywalker kid her Padawan learner after Luke is killed by Snoke/Kylo/Rathtars. I mean, it would certainly have a different feel if she's suddenly stuck as a guardian to this kid, especially since her family abandoned her as a child long ago (lots of pathos to play with there). Then, assuming the sequels hit on all cylinders, the kid will be old enough to be the main protagonist of X-XII ;). Okay, now I'm just wildly speculating here.....

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing the next generation of Skywalker/Solo kids working together would have been amazing imo.

Anakin, Jaina and Jacen Solo in the old EU going into a Force meld even though all 3 had different views of the Force was very moving imo.

20. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

One of the images that still sticks with me (and I wasn't the biggest NJO fan overall but) was how they saw Anakin in his final moments through the Force, a powerful shining beacon of light and life, at one with the living force to the very end in the noblest act of sacrifice of a Jedi in the EU ever.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. That truly was one of the best moments in SW imo.

Pity we never saw Anakin and Tahiri meet again.

Two sets of interactions from the Solo kids in the old EU.

Hope we can get something good like those two quotes in the Disney ST.
    Relationships, not of Blood can be forged in fire but the EU Solo kids were something special imo.

22. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

Definitely. After hearing more about Lucas' treatments for the ST, I really do miss this untold tale and missed opportunity we could have gotten. I hope that it survives in some form, either in a later trilogy or in a comic/novel Elseworlds-style telling such as "The Star Wars" comic mini-series that Dark Horse put out near the end.

23. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Huh, I got the opposite reaction. I think she pretty much nails every scene from the limited footage we get of her in the trailer. I think she shows nuance in her deliveries and body language, and I especially like the scene where she is talking about finding her father if he really built the Death Star. Her delivery is on point if you ask me. It looks like she's gonna tear up at any moment and that she desperately wants to find answers as to what her father has to do with all of it.

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER Toy Pics! Part 81

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Take everything you said and make it the direct opposite, and that's how I feel.

Cryogenic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.