main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    What you guys personally thought of the trailers is irrelevant to the subject, which was the reasons for TFA's outrageous success. That the trailers received record breaking views & were very well received is what is relevant.
    You mean like shoe-horning OT Vader into nearly every bit of promotional material? Talk about commercial marketing & pandering.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  2. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Oh DD it seems your the most consistent one you never fail to amaze how you can twist anything to fit your narrative quite a skill I must say. Look its extremely rare for any film to get the ridiculous hype that TPM/TFA got. I remember very clear the hype for TPM back in the day with people even camping out to see it on release day it was nuts. If you really thought that level off success was going to happen with AOTC/ROTS your delusional. Both though did extremely well in an era of blockbusters and they were released right in the heart of the summer movie season. AOTC especially had it difficult dealing with the monster that was Spider Man back in 2002. ROTS had it a lil better with its strongest competition being the first Batman film in 8 years. At the end of the day though both films were huge success and both were in the top 5 of box office success in the years they were released. ROTS in fact was the second highest grossing film in 2005 just under Harry Potter. That's no easy task in the era of blockbusters that the PT had to compete in.

Now you flash to TFA and its easy for you to talk up its success with it being released in December with no competition. It was a smart business strategy on Disney's part no doubt but its not that impressive compared to the PT's success with them being released in a much more competitive era right in the heart of the summer movie season. I don't doubt that even if TFA was released in the traditional month of May it that it would be any less of a success. The fact is it was the first SW film in 10 years it was always going to do well based on that alone.

Now I will have that cake[face_party]

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Ehh I would have that cake on ice for a while longer.

First, moving TFA was a bit risky. SW always opened in May before, this would break with that tradition. And from what I've read, it partly came about because JJ couldn't have it ready for May 2016 and Disney didn't want to wait until May 2017.
    And while December gives you a boost from Christmas and New Years, once you hit January, the figures tend to drop. Esp during the weekdays.

Second, prior to TFA, December films have not had huge openings. And not for a lack of big and popular movies. The very much anticipated RotK had an opening of 73 M$. Yes it opened on a Wednesday so not an exact match but still.
    TFA's opening was about THREE times the second biggest opening.
    Neither TPM or AotC set any record for opening weekend and RotS did so but it only beat Shrek 2 by a little.
    And what is even more impressive, even with it's monster opening, TFA had legs quite similar to other December movies. The opening was 26,5 % of the total. The Hobbit films had figures around that. RotK had 19,3 %. The big outlier there is Avatar, whose opening was just 10 % of the total.
    To compare, the big Marvel films, like the Avengers, their openings was between 33-43% of the total.

Three, May is hardly "in the heart of the summer movie season." That goes from May to August and SW was released in the middle of May so they were at the start of that season.
    By mid/late June, both AotC and RotS were down to 5-6 M$ weekends.

Four. Competition. That argument cuts both ways. Yes Spiderman was competition to AotC but AotC was competition to Spiderman. It opened in the 3rd weekend of Spiderman and yet that film held it's own very well and became the biggest film that year in the US.
    How much competition did TMP have? Not much, in it's 4th weekend it was beaten by the Austin Powers sequel. And yet if we adjust for inflation and add the 3D re-release of TPM, TFA still beats it by 200 M$.

Five, first SW in ten years. Yes that added to it and the return of Han, Luke and Leia added even more. Well perhaps not Luke so much as he is hardly in the film.
    But TPM had 16 years plus the hugely successful SE re-releases in 1997 to get people hyped and bring in people that never saw SW in the big screen. TPM did well, very well indeed. And it had very good legs, even for that period.

Six, about a drop off. Yes most films that have a huge first film tend to drop to the sequel.
    But that is less of a rule these past 10-15 years. The first Spiderman did 403 M$ domestic, very big.
    Yet the sequel made 373 M$. Not a very big drop.
    The three LotR films didn't drop at all, they increased.
    Now with TFA, I do expect a drop, both with R1 and ep VIII.
    Esp given how bloody huge TFA was.
    To compare, if R1 or ep VIII drops as much as AotC did, then that means a domestic gross of about 650 M$ and WW 1,4 B$. Both of which are quite huge.

To sum up, yes all SW movies have done well, very well even. But TFA was huge even by SW standards.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    o_O What do you mean? I don't follow.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
  6. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I wouldn't say DD isn't a fan of the prequels. Very critical of them at times, yes (particularly of the visual effects). But I, and I don't intend to speak for him, believe that his point of view is that they got better as they went along.

CIS Droid, DrDre and Darth Downunder like this.
  7. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    AotC is the worst, but ok.

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    You said irritating, I said rough & course. Now you say soft & smooth & we're done.
    Whenever I try to leave PT fans get together & petetion for me to stay.

9. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    You're annoying, honestly. Just leave if you're not a PT fan.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Comrade, any SW fan is welcome here to discuss the Prequels. Just like anyone can hang out in the OT & TFA sections. Over there when people are critical they're not asked to get out. So I'll stay. Thanks all the same.

Strongbow, CIS Droid, DrDre and 2 others like this.
  11. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    Mate, it says "PT FANS" in the title.

12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    DDU is there anything (besides the music) from the PT you like?

13. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    So I'm trying to pull away from spoilers as we enter the final stretch, but I couldn't help but notice the big scoop today.
    Two characters from TPM may turn up in RO whose appearance will "break the internet".
    What do you make of this?

14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    MACE LIVES!

15. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Now I'm curious.
    Do we know who?

16. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That's just it, we don't. This could be very interesting.

17. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016

Though we all know whosa sprung to all our minds first! :D

Jedi Knight Fett, earlchinna and B3 like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Non-anglo here, you have to explain better.

19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I would be so thrilled... especially if he isn't killed off. But that, I'm afraid, is a big if.

He's just making a reference to AOTC.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darthman92 like this.
  20. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I hope they do not bring another dead pt character back to life.

Tonyg, CIS Droid, mikeximus and 2 others like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, oooooooh, now I understand and feel a bit stupid. DD said it in such a way that I did not even think that s/he was making a SW quote reference.

22. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

Source?

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I hope it's Jar-Jar like in that dream I had. And seeing as Tarpals is dead, and they probably don't want to break continuity with TCW, Boss Nass should turn up as well. :p

24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Intrigued. Sio Bibble lives! So, where is this coming from?

25. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

Why cant DD stay? Just because its a thread in the PT forum for fans of the PT to discuss the upcoming movies, doesnt mean other star wars fans cant come here and share their opinions, if only PT fans were allowed to post here, it would just become an echo chamber.

Different points of views are never a bad thing, as long as one has respect for others and they respect you back. So please, refute his arguments, it much better than to tell him he´s not welcomed here.

Good question, Darth Downunder , do you like or dislike the PT, and what parts (if any) of it do you like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.