main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER Pics! Part 104

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-rogue-one-set/
    http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016...-r2-d2-and-lightsabers-being-in-the-film.html

Thanks to the people who translated the interview.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Vader/Anakin is the saga's main character. The whole premise of the PT was the origin of Darth Vader. Marketing it like that makes sense.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Doesn't mean it wasn't a commercial marketing decision. It was, & there's nothing wrong with that. Marketing by definition is designed to get people interested in seeing/buying your product. They milked the image & sound of OT Vader for all he was worth.

Strongbow and DarthCricketer like this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Of course they did. The promotional poster for TPM was testament to that.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Announcement: Due to losing a bet with @ Darth Nerdling I'm required to carry around a signature of his choosing for 1 week. For the record, the content of this signature is not true! I do not receive Princess merchandise. I get free rides at Disneyland.

Pensivia, PaulWrightyThen and DrDre like this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    This is completely, completely untrue!

Powers higher than me have discovered Darth Downunder's special relationship with Disney.

From what I have heard through the grapevine, they could not decide how to deal with what Downunder was doing. The forums have rules against solicitation and commercial spamming, but Downunder wasn't technically breaking those rules. I assume his new signature serves as a compromise way to deal with this situation.

Again, this is all hearsay to me.

I'm just speculating here about the signature, but suffice it to say, it has nothing to do with me. I'm just being used as a convenient scapegoat.

BTW, I have not been following the buildup to Rogue 1, but I am still convinced that everything Downunder has been arguing in this thread is wrong. :p

8. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    But that marketing was not insulting to a large portion of the people they were marketing to.

9. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
  10. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

I repeat. There was no bet. Darth Downunder obsessively hoards Disney Princess merchandise. It's really sort of sad that Disney exploits Downunder's obsession in this way.

Think how warped it is how Disney is exploiting the situation. Here, we'll give you an adult-sized Sleeping Beauty dress to wear around the house altered just to fit a man's frame as long as you write great stuff about a film you haven't even seen. It's like taking advantage of a drug addict. SAD.

11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Darth Nerdling Yo, bro! Don't insult my manliness with dresses, ok??!

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER Newest Footage Dec 3rd!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Thanks Comrade.
    Yeah but...pandering. Opportunistic marketing. Esp for RotS given how little Vader appeared in that movie. Take a look at the merchandising. I far prefer the restraint & subtlety LFL/Disney have employed with Vader for R1. Just a few glimpses. They haven't been cashing in & milking him as a marketing tool. So no one has been misled into thinking he has a substantial role. In fact the opposite may be the case, he may appear more than people expect. Quite restrained & honest marketing I'd say.

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Pandering? I seem to have missed something because I certainly don't remember Lucas bashing me over the head about the greatness of the original Star wars in literally every interview, how they needed to go back to the "feel" of the OT. As for R1, Vader and the Death Star appeared in most of the teasers, his breathing is everywhere we even have a whole teaser just about it and of course we also have merchandising about him, lots of them so I can say "restraint" is pretty much relative.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Minimal use compared to RotS. Even the other PT movies milked OT Vader in their marketing. Remember the AotC "Breathe" trailer?

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    At least the PT was about young Anakin becoming the Vader of the OT that was his story, R1 is a movie about new characters, not Vader but even with a new villain and the supposedly small role Vader has in that movie they couldn't help themselves to showcase him in most of the teasers/posters/merchandising, go figure. But to be fair to them, they didn't have the necessity to tell us they were filming in a real beach, thank goodness.

jimkenobi likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    "Showcase?". I don't think so? It's called subtlety. Unlike the multitude of RotS posters & promo stills showing suited Vader, even some where he's holding an ignited red lightsaber! Misleading & opportunistic given his uneventful cameo in the movie. You guys would tear shreds off Lucasfilm if they played that kind of stunt now.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I generally like what they're doing with their posters and I don't really care what they put on them as long as it's not too crowded, I was more questioning the "pandering" argument. And technically, Vader was more than just a cameo he just wasn't suited yet. We got to see what his potential could have been if he didn't have his injuries on Mustafar.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    :rolleyes:

Jedi Knight Fett and mikeximus like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Having suited Vader on RotS posters with his ignited red OT lightsaber was pandering to OT fans AND blatantly dishonest. You don't agree?
    Consistent standards would be nice around here.
    The R1 marketing RE Vader has been unrestrained & dishonest??

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Dishonest how exactly? Are you saying we didn't saw suited Vader? because that would be "dishonest".
    That's pandering but seeing Vader everywhere on posters/teasers/merchandising in a movie not focusing about him is "subtlety", right.

jimkenobi and mikeximus like this.
  22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Well, we certainly never saw suited Vader with an ignited lightsaber. And suited Vaber did feature HEAVILY in the marketing. But the whole "pandering" argument annoys the heck out of me whichever side it comes from. I think the use here is meant to be illustrative.

23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    You being serious? Promoting the movie with posters & stills showing suited Vader with his red OT lightsaber was dishonest. He never uses any saber let alone his red one. If TFA's marketers had sent out, prior to the movie posters showing Luke brandishing his lightsaber in various stances that would've been a disgrace.

24. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Darkslayer & darklighter99, come on guys!

His signature tells you all you need to know.

You're just helping Downunder earn his Frozen limited edition Elsa and Anna matching tiara set. Stop falling for his ploys. It's only helping to fuel his obsession.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013

THIS THEORY IS FOOLPROOF!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.