main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

2. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    /\ "The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing" -- Socrates

Delta Scepter's post wins the thread!:p

4. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Would tend to agree. Tfa and seemingly Rogue One didn't exaggerate the presence of Luke or Vader. If anything they played it down. Those action stance promo posters of Vader in ROTS with his famous red light saber were a bit poor. The Luke with his saber comparison is an apt one. We would be calling for blood had they done that.

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I gotta disagree with you here. In pre-marketing of TFA, JJ said that one of his top goals was figuring out who Luke Skywalker is (or something along those lines). Plus, Mark Hamill got 2nd billing on the theatrical poster and the commercials, even though Kenny Baker and Daniel Craig and the guy flying the helicopter all had a bigger role than Hamill in TFA.

6. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    But he didn't make a single full appearance in a single poster or trailer. Already in the promotion they were setting up a mystery, and having people ask "where's Luke?". That's honest marketing. Images of suited DV in action stance with OT saber = dishonest marketing. As Downunder said would be like promo images of a saber wielding Luke for TFA. That would be BS.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Exactly! & having MH in the poster credits etc AND no appearance anywhere else is what perfectly created that mystery, even before the movie was out. Vader in R1 hasn't been misrepresented either, as far as we can tell.

DrDre and DarthCricketer like this.
  8. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Downunder, serious question man; what do you gain from driving us all mad with the twist of the twist of the twist of the argument?

Getting many around here angry at you?

Seems like a pointless crusade if you ask me

Jedi Knight Fett and earlchinna like this.
  9. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Darth Downunde
    Maate ♡
    M8, say hi to kangaroos for me, plz.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's just conversation amigo. Banter, the occasional debate. Feel free to ignore any posts that don't interest you.
    As for this little tangent of a topic, no one has twisted anything. It's actually a relevant & notable point. That opportunistic commercial marketing played a part in SW long before the ownership handover. In some cases to a greater degree.

DrDre and DarthCricketer like this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Seeing Vader in a couple of posters for ROTS or whatever, when he actually appeared in the film, doesn't seem as bad as the supposed 'return' to practical effects compared to the PT, which was also a lie, as the film had no more practical effects than any of the previous 3 films, and just as much CG.

At least Vader was in ROTS, and the movie was about Anakin's fall. Seeing Vader in a few posters doesn't upset half of the Star Wars fanbase at least.

There were clips in the TFA trailer that weren't in the film. That's just as bad as Vader's posters, and arguably worse, because it created the assumption that those scenes were in the film, apart from a general sense of Vader.

12. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    Darth Downunder
    Didn't tag you correctly, maate ♡
    M8, say hi to kangaroos for me, plz.

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    ^ You should stick to contributing to the discussion topic comrade.

Who cares whether it's "as bad"? Why can't they both suck? If Luke had been shown on TFA promotional posters ready for action with his lightsaber, & then we saw no such action from him you'd be rightly calling out Disney/Abrams/LFL Marketing as misleading a-holes. Why not do the same regarding those Vader posters? As if we dont know the answer. It's bcs you're a PT fan & you don't want to criticise anything about the PT. It's what's commonly referred to as a double standard. Don't worry though, you're not alone in having them.
    Alot of movies have quick takes & scenes in trailers that don't make it to the final cut of the film. Not a big deal. The ones in the TFA trailers weren't hugely anticipated snippets that everyone was bummed over not seeing. In any case the PT trailers did this too. Did we see that same take of Vader slowly being raised on that guerney as shown in the RotS trailer? No.
    So that leaves the posters with suited Vader brandishing his red OT saber as distinct examples of dishonest marketing. Blatantly designed to get OT/Vader fans excited for the movie.

DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    The very fact we nearly got a Boba Fett movie (and still might) pretty much proves to me they're still testing the waters by playing it safe. Darth Vader! Han Solo! Boba Fett! Sorry guys, got to have familiar characters in it somehow.

Darkslayer and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Of course. Start things with the surer bet characters & then go more left-field after that. I feel sure that post Ep IX we'll see some ST characters spun off into their own movies.

DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So much for choosing the "best" option. It's going to be a long wait, that's for sure. Let's hope there's no more bashing over the head about the greatness of the original star wars, the "feel" of the OT, or the real sets nonsense.

17. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    Darth Downunder
    I'm Serbian, btw. We use "brate".
    I will, just make sure to say hi to the kangaroos, i love those little *******, m8.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    One of the thing I miss from the PT is all the behind of the scene featurettes, the step-by-step development of the movie. There were so much of them and they weren't shy to really show us what happened, I absolutely loved those. The 2 hours commentary of JJ was a step in the right direction even if I felt sometimes he was more describing the scenes/answering to the complaints than really telling us the development of the movie (to his credit, he did state that he didn't do much commentary but at least he's making an effort.

Darth Basin and Darth Downunder like this.
  19. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Of course; TFA is set 30 years after Vader's death, Star Wars: Rogue One is not part of the main (Skywalker) saga. And for TFA they wanted to put focus on the new characters. While they... search for Luke.

Perhaps. But it's all just marketing.

We all expected to see the mechanical Vader in ROTS and we saw him. It wasn't as we expected, to see him in combat, but it was good. Less is more, right?

I like his involvement in Rogue One, it's very tastefully done.

But you know how things work. For ROTS there was Vader, for TFA practical effects and real sets and deserts with no CGI. And yet...

20. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014
    ↑ Why can't I see my post?

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

What post?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Delta Scepter

Jun 5, 2014

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Your post is still there, but whatever you quoted or replied to is missing. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    No CGI? They never said that. That is a.. post truth.

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Your arguing with an OT elitist. One who thinks a piggish Gamorean looks better than Jango Fett. You'll never win.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.