main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Uhm. I think you can be a fan of your own creation!

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

"PT persecution complex" is a fatuous red herring; which I think you know.

This explains my take on the whole "Disneyfication" of Star Wars -- and the correlated, ongoing fan-obsession with the PT -- better:

"There seems to be something like a Gresham’s law of cultural evolution according to which the oversimplified ideas will always displace the sophisticated and the vulgar and hateful will always displace the beautiful. And yet the beautiful persists."

-- Gregory Bateson, "Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Bateson
    http://www.oikos.org/mind&nature.htm

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham's_law
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons

[face_peace] [face_coffee]

3. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Are you implying I don't like sophistication or beauty? I think you owe me an apology.

DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  4. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

You are entitled to your response. Though "I'm offended" doesn't constitute much of a response in my eyes.

5. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Don't use Hitch against me. I'd post a video where he too, gets offended and demands an apology from someone over simplifying an argument but the content is quite heavily critical about religion and I think that WOULD offend people and is not apt for this board.

So I still think you owe me an apology for saying I don't like the sophisticated or the beautiful. On an intellectual level you wound me. The amount of times I've had to bite my tongue, today alone, with regards to some of the things I read on these very pages is shocking to me. Yet to put it out there as simply as you do, is to fulfil the quote.

What you have said is 'People who do not like the prequels do not like beautiful things' and seems to me, to feed directly into the 'Prequels persecution complex' that has been mentioned.

'H8r's boooo'.

(I am in part pleased with your use of the Hitch though, nice work)

[​IMG]

6. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Then it seems our irritation/displeasure is mutual.

How noble of you. As if belonging to a religious sect of one sort or another, by the way, uniquely entitles a person to claim offence; and other people, for other reasons, can't be offended?

And again, claiming offence, in and of itself, does not constitute an argument. Not in my eyes, at least. If you're such a Hitchens fan, well, you're certainly sanguine, aren't you?

Oh, purrrlease. I was having a bit of fun and making a broader point or two in the process. And on an intellectual level, any number of things offend me; so get in line.

I also think your solipsistic offence-taking is really showing in another way -- since you immediately demand an apology from me but pass right over a very obvious bait/inflammatory remark that I managed to respond to, and without taking offence, let alone demanding an apology for (by someone who has been very, very active in this thread and many others, constantly and openly chiding and denouncing PT fans for being paranoid/uptight/entitled/jealous/blinkered/etc).

No, not at all. Again, you don't seem to notice the obverse, which is the constant bait and slander suffered by prequel fans regarding their opinions, for literally decades (or almost decades plural), and on a dedicated prequel board, too. Prequel detractors have had the microphone for seventeen years. Your upset lacks any sense of proportionality. Though, again, you are entitled to your view; I just can't respect you acting like a special snowflake -- and in this of all threads.

"H8'rs boooo"? When you just stamped your feet and demanded I apologize for a relatively innocuous post; in a thread which I have barely said anything in the past two weeks?

Yes, interesting. You're happy to imply an obvious and rather supercilious attack on prequel fans is perfectly valid; while immediately deriding my response and rebuking me for allegedly causing you pain and discomfit.

My advice: Don't take any of this so seriously. I've tried my best not to the past couple of weeks. See what happens when I intervene? Someone immediately starts breathing down my neck. This thread is little more than a joke at this stage; my response, while offering a scintilla of substance, was also meant to be part-sardonic and contiguous with my last few responses, reflecting my ambivalence toward all the back-and-forth rhetoric that has been (and is still being) spewed.

I'm reminded of Hitch remarking on how thin-skinned and boorish the religious mindset actually is when confronted with anything of a remotely unserious, mocking, or playful nature. Under such conditions, everything is offensive, or can become offensive at any possible moment.

Good.

And there's no way in hell a man of Hitch's intellect would have barked that someone apologize to him over so trivial and transient a thing.

One might also imagine he would have caught and perhaps enjoyed the slightly raffish, ironic undertone of my original response.

7. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Haha. (I'm genuinely laughing now in a good natured way) My original post was a bit of fun then you threw a hitch slap in there! Darn you. Then I read back more and you posting up links and what have you sort of got my goat a bit. So maybe I missed the point.

I've been active in threads where I've had to bail because, I don't mind people liking prequels, or bashing new films, but there has to be a voice that says to someone 'that's a silly argument; If that's not allowed then, oops, sorry.

Its ok for people to seemingly say daft things to me, but if I respond and say 'that's' daft I'm somehow a demon?

I certainly wish I'd put a 'wink' in that original comment.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  8. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Passive-aggressive backpedalling. But okay.

My original post was meant as a semi-playful rebuttal to the -- in my opinion -- spurious notion of PT fans having a "persecution complex".

No-one was saying a "daft" thing straight to you personally. You have ascribed a rather personal motive or unidirectionality to my response that patently doesn't fit.

And yes, for clarity, I did include smilies. Sometimes, they help.

All that aside, this whole exchange has been ridiculous. Hitchens would probably have withdrawn his approval by now.

Prisic Duskleap and mikeximus like this.
  9. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    I don't doubt it. I apologise.

Honestly I apologise for the whole thing. The first part was a bit of fun. Then I got annoyed. I've had a bad day.

Darkslayer and Cryogenic like this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
  11. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Hey, you're alright.

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, I do wonder about that!

But thanks. Better days for us all. :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It's is an honor to be "Hitchened".

Cryogenic and PaulWrightyThen like this.
  14. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

Yes it is! Its the first time ever ever been hitchslapped. Solipsistic was a tad harsh I feel ;) But still I see the errors of my ways.

Darth Basin and Cryogenic like this.
  15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    In another ten days, it'll be five years since he left us.

That's about the same length of time I was aware of him when he existed.

Things slip away so quickly.

Okay, enough melancholy from me.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  16. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I've only been aware for the last 3 years. Gutted doesn't cover it. I'm trying to watch every debate he's in. Pure champ.

Cryogenic likes this.
  17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Don't leave out his books, pamphlets, and articles.

Though there's nothing like seeing and hearing the man in action.

Hitch was one hell of a human being -- no doubt about it.

18. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

Working through the books as we speak. I raise a glass of blue milk! Having said that. I think we are wildly off topic now. If you fancy, I'm always up for a 'hitchchat' so, if you ever feel inclined, I'm easy to find.

edit: Forget Blue milk. Scotch...

19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

How about blue milk laced with scotch?

Might open doors to cosmoses unknown.

Anyway, yes, I agree, we have drifted a little.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That never occurs in this forum.

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's goddamned ridiculous.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Do you recall anyone, actor, producer, writer, makeup artist, set designer, etc, etc, etc saying ANYTHING good about the PT leading up to TFA?

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. you sound like a conspiracy nutjob.

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Thanks! Hahahahahahahaha!

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    If everything goes as planned, I'll see R1 on Friday.

DrDre and Darth Downunder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.