main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I thought it was Forest Whitaker.

Darth Basin and Darkslayer like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    You mean Morgan Freeman?

3. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Sidney Poitier.

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    More like Keith David!

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Ugh! Just when I thought I had successfully repressed my memories of this, you had to remind me! :p

6. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I think that those few terms, that I'm about to use in order to describe all this "practical" and "real desert" speech used during the promotion of TFA, are more than appropriate, especially during what we are living these days in our real world : populism and demagogy...

Darth Nerdling and Cryogenic like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have never understood people getting mad about digitally recreating actors after their deaths especially because they have to get permission of the estate first. So unless they recreated someone to sell food I don't get the huff over it.

8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Okay, the hurt feelings are now achieving epic status.

9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    well Lucasfilm said they aren't doing that with Carrie to me its sort of creepy, honestly just recast someone its like coachella when they brought out the holographic tupac and Michael Jackson it just feels wrong.

10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Hurt feelings? No -- that's just your spurious and histrionic strawman/ad hominem. One could quite possibly charge, however, in light of the above, that Disney/TFA fans are the ones with "hurt" feelings, since they apparently can't even let a couple of light-hearted remarks between prequel fans slide past them without their making an empty drive-by attack.

Also, just for your information, and a little bit of free education, the terms "populism" and "demagogy" are not usually chosen when one is expressing "epic" hurt feelings, but rather, when one is calmly pontificating about what are blatantly obvious and deeply concerning trends in the interlocking contemporary political system, the media, and the entertainment industry.

In other words, we're having a bit of fun, but there are serious points being made; and worrying signs to take note of in our current (shared) cultural space. One might argue, in fact, that in Lucas having sold Star Wars to a global conglomerate, and given the themes that he embedded in that very entertainment property, he has issued a stark and forbidding warning, for those able to actually engage their minds and think, about the colonization of our physical world and our minds by various imperial forces, including the imperial force of corporate capitalism.

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Gotta be honest, as cringy as this was, this was a fun time during 2015. :p There was SO MUCH discussion about TFA compared to RO and pretty much every PT poster and lurker joined the convo. :p *looks back fondly to 2 years ago* Goooooood Times. :p

12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

The retro has become retro. ;)

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    And one day, a REAL desert will be too digital to the old techniques of CGI!!!!!! :eek: :p

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah... sure.... okay. :rolleyes:

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Everything's perfectly alright, now. We're fine. We're all fine, here... now... thank you.

How are you?

17. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    [face_whistling]

Well I guess it's a perfect time to derail the discussion and talk about my personal feelings:

"I don't like sand......"

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i just took it as trump hangover, which everyone should have. now that i re-read i really can't agree. equating your ire for the st with trump "is dangerous. i don't trust the two of them together."

Jedi Knight Fett and Strongbow like this.
  19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

LOL! Perfect response! Well done!

20. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

In fact, when you think about it, I wasn't just making a reference to our current political era, but the idea was there as Cryogenic mentionned above. But when you take the definition of demagogy, it's the following:

Link: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/demagogy

So, I don't think that, in my opinion, we were that far with the speech and the promotion for TFA last year when they were trying so hard to flatter the most purist fans, even if it was misguiding informations (everyone now knows for example that CGI were used for TFA)...

Darth Nerdling and Cryogenic like this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yes but you're conflating one comic-con presentation and one bts video. like the way they pumped the film was an insult to gl. it wasn't.

it's called suspension of disbelief.

they were trying to say "it's all real" like they did for older movies. to capture the imagination. no one went around before e.t., close encounters, jaws, the indy flicks and the original sw saying, "this is how we did all the effects". that comes after the film release and we have seen countless ILM videos showing how they created everything.

they weren't trying to lie to people. they were trying to give them that feeling of the nostalgia we got from those old films. i remember those times (i'm almost 40) when everything effects wise was clouded in mystery so you believed it was real. hell most movies including sw acted like it was real. there's nothing wrong with that. there's a difference between that and what a lot of people here like to think.

i'm glad i dont owe any of you any debts because you would always keep reminding me and reminding me... "you remember that one time?"

grow up. get a spine. it's just a movie.

once again i bring up the juxtapostion betweeen pt haters and st haters. it's the same thing.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Darth Basin, L110, mikeximus and 2 others like this.
  23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i cast you out as sw fans! you are no longer a true sw lover! if you don't agree with me then you are shunned! shunned i say!

seriously though, we have the ot, the pt, the st, r1, tcw, rebels and all the other new material coming out. this is the golden age of sw. all of it is great, quality stuff! how people can be snooty about it is beyond me.

and no you can't compare any of this to the thing called trump.

24. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Who said we were ST haters? It's a bit falling into simplistic and childish qualifications here...

The main problem that we (or I at the least) have here were with the misinformation spread during the promotion, not with the movie itself. As I said before, I gave a favorable review to TFA in another thread and I really liked Rogue One.

Cryogenic likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    well there a lot who equate the two and it's not childish. that's how others simplify it, not me.
    many here levy the same complaints on the st as the pt haters did. all i want is for fellow fans to enjoy all sw if they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.