main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

Also sounds like another of thier many gimmicks to get people in the seats. Everyone's already wondering if it refers to Luke or Rey. Ooo! Is it plural?

This is supposed to be Star Wars, not Lost.

2. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Somehow they managed a title that sounds even more like a fan fiction than "The Force Awakens". That's an accomplishment.

3. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Like the title of that A New Hope reboot masquarading as Episode VII of George Lucas´s Star Wars saga that we got two years back. It´s not really surprising that it doesn´t fit into the rhyming pattern of the original six subtibles either.

Also a pretty boring title on it´s own.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Jedi Knight Fett and Cryogenic like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Kind of bland title. I miss the "never saw that coming" appeal of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Also boring seeing the same wordmark as TFA.

6. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Disney's focus groups have decided your opinion is irrelevant and the outlying factor. Your minority stance is not a threat to their pocketbooks.

[​IMG]

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Much much better than the new Disney style used for the ST.

But still... I'm not too fond of this title. And not because of the simplicity. It somehow undermines Return of the Jedi for me, idk how else to explain it.

8. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
  9. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016

I know the feeling. But to be fair, hasn't the approach to the Sequel Trilogy as a whole been kind of an exercise in undermining Return of the Jedi? Well...from a certain point of view anyway! :p

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Well, that sounds about right, sadly.

So much about "last of the Jedi will you be... pass on what you have learned".

11. DementedMeerkat

DementedMeerkat Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2015
    A thoroughly meh title I think. I initially reacted with utter distaste. It really does sound like specifically OT fan fiction, not general fanfic, or a more end of a trilogy sort of title. Just corny I guess. Something about it isn't right, even if you take out the cheese; I think its the reuse of a word for an Episode title (Jedi)? Menace/Clones/Sith/Hope/Empire/Jedi/Awakens/...Jedi again?
    A bad start to the hype, of what little there was going to be for me after TFA. I'll be keeping solidly on the fence (or slightly pessimistic) as much as possible to hopefully reduce the disappointment I might feel if the movie is similar to the last. If I'm wrong I suppose I'll be 'pleasantly' 'surprised'?

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I have absolutely no expectation for this movie but it's just a title. A generic title, sure, but not something to get riled up in positive or negative, imo.

Tonyg and Cryogenic like this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TFA already did (in more ways than one). And that's probably the biggest drawback of this movie. That it's a sequel to that thing and is limited by its events.

14. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Are you sure ? :D

Subtext Mining and Cryogenic like this.
  15. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    I was disappointed when I first heard the title. I would have preferred something which refers to the villains (like Empire Strikes Back or more loosely Attack of the Clones). I also wish they hadn't used a keyword that had already been used ("Jedi"), it makes the title feel non-unique.

But, I've moved past my disappointment now. I guess the title is okay. It might have a subtle double-meaning if something happens to Luke at the end.

16. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Personally, I don't really feel something towards this title... My first reaction was just: "Ah... Ok..." I feel that we would all have seen this coming and it isn't a surprise. I guess we should wait for the first teaser trailer to really evaluate and feel this movie...

I think that "Rogue One" was more an original and exciting title than both "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi"...

Mark Hamill's reaction to the new title:

17. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    That's not a four letter title!

Also, is it just me or does the Diz want to get rid of the Jedi so that they can just focus on laser shootouts and space battles?

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    A few of my thoughts (slightly amended) about the new title from a lengthier private discussion:

Part I

My first thoughts were that it sounded a bit dowdy and bleak; though I also like the beguiling minimalism of it (kinda).

The "last" three titles:

Return Of The Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

See what I mean?

Superficially, it does make for a decent rhyme with "The Phantom Menace" and "A New Hope"; though I'm not sure how significant a thing that is.

It is also notable for breaking with the symmetry of "Attack Of The Clones" and "The Empire Strikes Back"; and Star Wars is full of these pattern-breaking discontinuities.

But again -- significant; special; worthy? I'm not sure.

As pointed out above, it also recklessly repeats the word "Jedi", sapping ROTJ of some its uniqueness, and tainting the unbroken chain of heretofore unique nouns and adjectives that are constellated together to give the series its arresting B-movie variegation (one long "daisy chain" signature). One might argue that, the obvious "rehash" agenda of Disney aside, Lucas set out to rhyme but not repeat; and that the mirrored-but-uniquely-constituted titles are an apt expression of the breath (and breadth) of Lucas' intentions; a clue to the primeval syntax of the rolling tapestry of the "same but different" contouring and contiguity of the saga itself.

Part II

I have to admit that these new Disney titles are all a bit "stiff" (and perhaps, therefore, "corpse-like") and, yes, as above, committee-approved. Three variations on a theme of corporate conservatism: "The Force Awakens" (sounds like a video game; and there was "The Force Unleashed"), "Rogue One" (another video game-y title; and there was "Rogue Squadron"), and now, "The Last Jedi" (a bit of a rip-off of the EU novel series, "The Last Of The Jedi"; also cribbed from Yoda's dialogue to Luke in ROTJ -----> "When I am gone, the last of the Jedi will you be").

"The Last Jedi Takes A Fall And Shatters His Hip"
    "The Last Jedi; No, Wait, There Is Another"
    "The Last Jedi Strikes Back At Critics For Saying He Is Old And Past It"
    "The Last Jedi And The Search For His Catheter"
    "The Last Jedi Standing" (Starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    etc,. etc.

In many ways, you can tell they're not leaving anything to chance/fate/The Force. Which seems about as anti-Star Wars as you can go!

A crazy title would be cool; something with a good deal of mind-shocking subtext to it. They'd never call it something like "The Forgotten Citadel". Too obscure. Anyway, yeah...

These new titles have a slightly faux-religious quality to them. "The Force Awakens", "The Last Jedi"... "The Final Reckoning"? I dunno. I have this "bad feeling". But, on the other hand, the minimalist nature of the new title is, well, new. I'm with Mark Hamill on that. For all I've said, of course, I am withholding judgement until I've seen the movie. Rian Johnson has much to learn about the Living Force, but he is capable.

It is, however, worth recalling that Lucas' first spin-off title was "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" (that eventually mutated into an entirely different movie called "The Empire Strikes Back"). Looking back, that same title also seems to have anticipated the gauche-but-elusive B-movie poetry of "The Phantom Menace (see: 1935 serial film "The Phantom Empire"). It is hard to imagine Disney being this flowery and allowing some colour to creep in. Everything seems to be run through their modernist "droid factory" first. Anything pre-1970s just cannot exist; neither can wackiness. Crush, kill, destroy.

Part III

A reprise on the "dowdy and bleak" observation:

"The Force Awakens" has an optimistic elan, but the movie itself sort of treats the Force as a bad thing, with another Rebels/Empire conflict, and shattered icons who fled from responsibility. If the young clan are full of energy and confidence, the OT characters are downcast and crestfallen (compare to the good-humoured Obi-Wan in ANH inspiring Han and Luke to courage and greatness). And now this new title comes along and implies that their "failure is complete"; that this will be a sullen, fallen world; a world saying goodbye to the magic and promise there once was. On the other hand, the title, much like TFA itself (and AOTC for that), could be something of a red herring.

Eh....

"Rogue"-what???

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

It's just you. LFL has been spending a LOT of thought and effort of the lore surrounding the Force. We have the Church of the Force, the Guardian of the Whills, Bendu, the Force Awakening, and Snoke.... whatever he is... a Dark side user who is not a Sith. We getting more texture to the concept of the Force and those who use it than EVER.

titansupes and Cryogenic like this.
  20. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    The name for ep 8 is interesting. I don't think it is terrible,but not amazing either. I do find it amusing how if you look on fb comments or twitter nearly everyone is gushing about how amazing the title is. Just shows how as long as its not Lucas making it, star wars is awesome! :rolleyes:

But anyway, i think the fact that it deviates from the conventions of the rest of the saga's second chapter (attack of the clones, the empire strikes back, The last jedi?) is indicative of the direction of this entire film. Rian Johnson is anything but a conventional filmmaker. He showed he's willing to break the star wars traditions when he decided to make ep 8 start exactly where TFA left off without letting any time pass. If he is willing to do that, why not break the stylistic conventions of the title for the second chapter in the star wars trilogy cycle?

These are not big risks by any means, but after watching Disney play it about as safe as you can with TFA, to me it is pretty refreshing to see some risks being taken and some breaking of the star wars norms. I think we are in for even more risks, and more impactful ones with this film which is encouraging to me.

21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes. Although, to be fair, we're probably outliers in complaining/dissenting here.

A little bit the inverse of how the prequels are still talked about online, and have been, since inception, but I digress...

Very true. It does represent a refreshing break from tradition; and RJ does seem to be a filmmaker prepared to take some risks and personalize his projects as any true filmmaker/storyteller should.

"The Last Jedi" -- resonances with "The Last Samurai" aside -- could even be a "meta" comment, from the filmmaker, about his movie being a sort of "last stand" against the commercial tyranny/greed of the Empire he's working under...

Indeed, that could well be the case. One needs to reserve any sort of final judgement until one has, of course, seen the finished movie.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    gee, people in this thread hate the title.. couldn't have seen that coming. (sarcasm).

23. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Well... For me, I think it's pretty safe to assume the title is a direct reference to Luke. With the phrase "The Last Jedi" being a nickname of sorts for Luke in the opening crawl of TFA, it seems Episode 8 will have Luke doing more than just giving dirty looks to people.

What is interesting is that Rian Johnson, sometime last year, expressed that he drew inspiration for Episode 8 from the war movies 12 O'Clock High and The Bridge On The River Kwai. In both movies the good guys are brought together and bolstered by a strong leader that whips them into shape. Could The Last Jedi be a reference to Luke Skywalker returning and helping get the resistance into shape? Maybe?

Anyway, I know I have said that I am moving beyond my complaining about TFA, well the movie itself anyway. I will still discuss Disney's handling of the franchise itself, of which the TFA marketing is part of that handling. I've just felt that the movie is hat it is, I don't particularly care for it, and it's time to move on and look forward to Episode 8 and whatever story it may have.

The problem is, and as others have already pointed out, "The Last Jedi" is just such a stark reminder to what TFA did to the characters of Luke, Leia, and Han. I want to to move past that unhappiness of what Abrams did with those characters, but here is the reopening of a scar. Thanks to those responsible for reminding me that Luke threw the galaxies biggest pity party, thanks for reminding me that Han was a bad father that instead of sticking around to right th wrongs of his so, he decides a bachelors life is the right thing to do, and Leia, well she has no character development after 20 years at all, we left her as a leader of a Rebel group, and we pick up with her being a rebel leader. So the title, "The Last Jedi" does open a wound, so to speak! Luke failed, Han failed, and Leia kind of got frozen in time somehow.....

"The Last Jedi"?

Yoda: Luke...When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be. Pass on what you have learned. Unless some snot nosed emo kid betrays you and kills all your new Jedi, because the writers needed a convenient way to get you out of the script, but, couldn't come up with a good story so they have you run away, ignoring your responsibilities, to go hide and feel sorry for yourself. So that the writers of another film can use you being the last Jedi as the title of their movie... but do your best anyway Luke...

Luke to Yoda: Thanks?

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah I am personally not happy with the rhyme break. "Fall of the Republic" or hell, "Last Stand of the Resistance" is more pulpy and interesting imo. "The Last Jedi" is just so vague along with TFA and TFA did too much damage for me to care about the rest of the trilogy. Though to play devil's advocate, the vague title leaves more to the imagination.

On the bright side, the red lettering and the eerieness of the title have me kinda intrigued. Gives me a ROTS vibe in a way with dark crimson lettering to symbolize a less optimistic SW. Maybe I'm just a Kylo Ren but I love my SW dark.:p

25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Great, simple title. Love it! Of course it needs to be judged against the story & content of the movie but at first look I think it's awesome. Certainly don't think it warrants any reactions like this:

;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.