main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Discussion of future SW Content (Locked) - Discussion Moved to Saga Board

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Could not agree more with this. The New Republic's gotta have some new ships right? (if they weren't all destroyed...) I'm assuming the Resistance is just using all those old ships because they don't have as many resources.

The world-building has got to be one of my favorite and one of the most important aspects of the Star Wars universe. TFA was easily the weakest film in this department (in my opinion) so I really hope The Last Jedi delivers. I can't wait to see all of the new characters, new planets, and new vehicles. We are 30 years past ROTJ so I'm assuming there's been some sort of advancement in the technology in the galaxy.

Tonyg and Mostly Handless like this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Thank you. But we all do that, all our long lives.

That's one of - if, indeed, perhaps THE -- most joyous things about Internet-based communication.

Lucas got it very right with the midi-chlorians. People seem to think they're about power levels or "explaining" the Force, but they could actually be considered a stunning meditation on the communicative essence of life itself. I might be getting a bit heavy here, but really, up against the "macro", we are all "micro" communicators; we're all midi-chlorians. And when you pack a lot of them together, then the Force really begins to sing.

Then there are concepts like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

The age we're living in is pretty mind-blowing. And it's another facet to my liking the fuller disclosure of Star Wars -- the ornate upgrading of a "meta" text describing the universe and our place within it -- in the PT.

Interesting. I see that!

However, much of the B-Wing's visual intrigue, in my opinion, derives from its exceedingly thin wing-body. Ironically, it is this very design feature that caused the B-Wing to essentially sign its own death warrant:

Model maker Bill George explains:

"It was originally planned to be a much more featured ship. But, unfortunately, because the wings were very, very thin, when it got pretty far away on the blue screen, the wings had a tendency to disappear, and because of that it played a less significant role in the attack on the under-construction Death Star."

QuangoFett likes this.
  3. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I thought Leia's shuttle was really small for a deep space going shuttle. Also thought the FO landing ships were too small for space transports. Perhaps a nice size for a armored land or air speeder but not space.

4. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006

Jedi Knight Fett and Cryogenic like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

So after X-wings, A-wings a rumored B-wing and a TIE Bomber now we have FO walkers or are those OT era walkers?

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Celebration Orlando 2017

New pics of some new toys in the new packaging, an alternate cover for the THRAWN book and the new Celebration Orlando 2017 poster!

STAR WARS Celebration Orlando 2017 Pics Part 2!

New pics of Celebration Orlando 2017 stuff! A badge and schedule, exclusive patches, exclusive ARTFX figures of 0-0-0 and BT-1 from the Vader comic! Also R4-M9, R2-X2 and the classic R5-D4! Only 1 month to go!

STAR WARS Rogue One Toys, BTS and more!

New pics from Rogue One A Star Wars Story! The Blu-Ray Premium Box, Collector's Edition comic cover, Jedha Revolt 4-pack, behind the scenes pics and a deleted scene with Chirrut!

7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

Those are OT walkers. TFA did have FO walkers in the background on Starkiller's surface. They are pretty weird looking and appear headless, just big guns sticking out of the main body instead of a neck and head.

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics! Part 48

New pics of Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Mark Hamill and the late Carrie Fisher!

STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics and a SPOILER PIC! Part 49

New pics of a Con with a memorial wall for Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew signing, the IMAX camera used for Ep 8, Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill preparing for re-shoots and some fan art! The first pic is from MakingStarWars and is an interpretation of a scene shown to Disney execs!

STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 50

SPOILERS! Found some more SPOILER pics that i hadn't posted yet of shooting from Dubrovnik, Croatia and Ireland! Tons more pic in my TLJ playlist here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Celebration Orlando 2017 and Star Wars Land Pics! 3

New pics of Celebration Orlando 2017 stuff! Exclusive patches and passes. Only 1 month to go! STAR WARS Land concept art and construction in L.A.! Check out the walkers being built!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Pablo Hidalgo interview.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/meet-the-...nd-out-which-bit-of-lore-he-wants-to-clarify/

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi CAST Pics! Part 51

New pics of Daisy Ridley and her sister, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Gwendoline Christie and Kelly Marie Tran (in the polka dot pants) and Colin Trevorrow the director of Episode 9!

12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

To follow up on that...

Art, broadly conceived, can be thought of as "imagination technology". Art is most certainly about conveying emotions and establishing an emotional response in others.

However, the emotional range and sensibilities of people are both trivial and vast; so it is something of a nebulous term. But, as a spur to the imagination, art has no equal. And films, in my opinion, have a unique alchemy. Lucas probably had this notion in mind, very slightly, when he called his visual effects house "Industrial Light and Magic"; not to mention the name "Lucasfilm" being used to imply a different kind of film-going experience.

I used this term yesterday in a private discussion, but let me redeploy it here. The Star Wars saga (that is, in particular, the Lucas saga) could be viewed as a conceptual caldera, in which a story is being told, but through peculiarly peculiar, abstractly abstract means. The "joy of Star Wars" (that is, again, the joy of the Lucas saga) is found not so much in the watching or the comprehending, but something more obliquely experiential: treating the films, in a sense, as rolling wallpaper, or hallucinogenic candy, in which abstract essences and moods constantly bubble and fizz; a sort of contiguous, structured, multi-coloured plasma-jism. Nothing but intricate, kaleidoscopic, free-flow patterning. Well, of course, I'm being a bit silly: they're not that abstract. And yet, in a way, they absolutely are. Over time, I've noticed they induce something closer to a non-watching watching; letting the mind's eye float just above the imagery; paying attention by not paying attention.

I was also watching a tone poem (of sorts) on YouTube the other day. Some short someone had made: a fusion of video-game imagery (a racing game) and a piece of electronica music. The effect, I have to say, was rather hypnotic; sort of like a compressed "stargate" sequence for the interactive-arcade/shader-saturated/GPU-obsessed age. Absolutely beautiful, it was, my brothers. And more like the kind of thing I anticipate Lucas making in the future; were he ever to get going on those "abstract tone poems" he has hinted at wanting to make various times in the past. At the start of the video, a disclaimer came up on the screen, and I wrote it down: "This film is made as an inspirational experiment only." That's kind of how I look at all of Lucas' work -- or play. Art is, perhaps, first and foremost, a sort of disciplined fun.

13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That is a very interesting point of view, but I admit I do not experience the Star Wars films (all of them, not just the "Lucas" films) in that way. But I think it underlines how profoundly we can experience them, even if we don't experience them the same way. For me, the romantic element (and I mean the classical meaning of romance, not the relationship elements) is what draws me to Star Wars. That element touches something deep in my cultural memory that I find thrilling.

Cryogenic, DrDre and Mostly Handless like this.
  14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    One of the defining characteristics of PT is that it introduced us to the high society of the GFFA, and well civilised planets. TLJ looks set to do this again with planet Dubrovnik, fleshing out the legacy of PT in the current cannon. I'm curious to know what you guys' thoughts on this are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016

Interesting
    reminds me a bit of Coruscant mixed with Tatooine. And then the city is on a water covered planet. It definitely feels like it will stand out to be different. I like. :p

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Well, that's also valid -- absolutely. I think I expressed things in a rather grandiloquent fashion above. I also love the romance of the series (I mean, really, who doesn't?). Although, in my case, I do seem to gravitate much more to the unique romance of the Lucas films. I love the three-act structures, the scene-construction grammar, the pithy repeating dialogue, the attitude of the camera and the cinematography in general, the unique blending of action and plot exposition, the action choreography itself, the less-is-more character dynamics, the gorgeous world-building, the near-perfect balance between the epic and the intimate components of each film, the soaring music, the scintillating sound design, etc. And just, in general, I suppose, the wit, the drive, and the magical topography of each film; and how they all cross-chatter with themselves and poetically intertwine. Lucas created a stupendous stew, in my opinion.

Strongbow and Cmndr_Thire like this.
  17. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Perhaps a fusion of the romantic and the technological,
    [​IMG]
    The burning Jedi Temple: A shot created entirely, or at least almost entirely of CG that takes place on a fully industrialised city-planet. Yet in terms of composition and framing, it is harkens to a more classical/romantic tradition than typically exploited by modern action/adventure movies.:)

18. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Star Wars, or the Lucas saga, is, indeed, a felicitous fusion of many things. A couple more terms to think about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techne
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiesis

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That image kinda highlights what I think make EP III the best of the prequels. It wonderfully captures the spirit I'm talking about. And it's well executed to boot. It almost has the look of a Maxfield Parrish work. These kind of grand scope images are something I love in Star Wars. Another Image I always have in my head is the now iconic image of Rey's speer in the ship graveyard, with the dead Star destroyer in the background. Even if one does't like TFA, it has to be admitted that's a breathtaking image with LOTS of story implied.

CIS Droid and Cryogenic like this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Celebration Orlando 2017 Art Pics! Part 4

New pics of Celebration Orlando 2017 Art prints and more! Rebelscum passes. Art featuring the Prequel Trilogy, Original Trilogy, TFA, Rogue One, TCW and Rebels! Celebration is April 13-16.

21. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd love to see a director like Edwards remake the prequels at some point.

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

He made an expensive (if slightly loud and dour) bridging movie.

Without remotely capturing the lyrical, off-beat genius of the main Star Wars ("saga") movies.

I think that's enough, personally.

23. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The art of trolling: come to a PT fans discussion of upcoming films thread and make a comment about remaking the prequels.

Brilliant.

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 52

SPOILERS! Found some more SPOILER pics that i hadn't posted yet of shooting in Dubrovnik, Croatia! Tons more pic in my TLJ playlist here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list.

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.