main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT Fans Discuss ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediKnight234, May 11, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite PT character?

Poll closed May 18, 2017.
  1. Obi- Wan Kenobi

47.8%
  2. Anakin Skywalker

34.8%
  3. Chancellor Palpatine

17.4%
  4. Yoda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mace Windu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jango Fett

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Padme Amidala

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Count Dooku

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    My favorite movie, great drama, action, and a little comedy with tragedy. Loved it!

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    "Underrated"? Hardly. It's generally considered the best of the PT and by some the best SW of all. It doesn't get bashed nearly as much as AOTC. What can I say about ROTS that hasn't been said already? Not much. It's a great movie, not perfect but very good. Since I don't like ranking the movies, I can only say that to me it's among the "top half" of the saga, along with AOTC and ANH, which I rate about equally, while TPM, ESB and ROTJ would be in a slightly lower category. Didn't like TFA and have yet to see RO. But I can easily understand how ROTS is to many fans THE best episode of the saga.

Martoto77 and Alienware like this.
  3. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It is considered part of the "awful, childish, terrible" prequels. The whole pack gets bashed regularly -that has become more evident with the release of the new Disney movies.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    This is true of course. We all know the "arguments" of those haters. Still, ROTS got treated relatively well, compared to the first two which seemed to get nothing but hate, at least as far as I can tell. Luckily when the prequels came out I never read any dumb YouTube comments or took part in any internet forums. I wasn't exposed to all that bashing until years later, so I was "free" to enjoy the movies, unaffected by all that negativity. Well, I don't care what they say, never did, let them hate if they want to. I like the prequels, even TPM, and at least in this forum it is clear that they have loyal fans as well. I enjoy the movies, and that's all that really matters to me.

wobbits, Tonyg, Jabba the Hud and 2 others like this.
  5. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Interesting insight to the Opera House scene in ROTS.
    Q. "Is Anakin Skywalker created by Darth Plagueis?"
    PH. "I would say all clues point to yes."
    @20:00 There are quite a good ROTS questions after the 20 minute mark.:)

Alienware likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    More than any of the other films, ROTS feels the most mythic.

7. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Just watched it again after a LONG gap. (Possibly a decade)

It's a lot better then I remembered and I really enjoyed it.

It does have a very seventies style (that is hard to explain) crossed with a big dash of Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra.

I know - odd way to describe it. But that is my current reaction.

UKS

8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    My favorite film and the one I generally gravitate to if I want to watch just one SW film. The opening sequence action with the banter between Obi Wan and Anakin was a great start. The sneaky malicious Palpatine was much more a convincing villain than in ROTJ. The opera scene gives me chills every time. The slaughter scene on Mustafar before the Obi Wan duel is one of my favorite moments. Anakin's anguish as he grows in power was one of Hayden's best. For me, nothing beats the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi Wan at the end.

9. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Part of the genius of this film is that Obi-Wan succeeds in defeating Anakin, but he's absolutely devastated.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The first 20 minutes of this film is A+ swashbuckling SW. Hell, the first 20 minutes will probably be as close as we will get to a live action Clone Wars film with Ewan and Hayden. Definitely the best opening of any SW film in terms of action and adventure.

When the battle ends and Anakin reunites with Padme, the pacing of this film is great. We focus on Anakin's internal struggle through most of the film until his turn. He's still our protagonist, even when he's being manipulated. Of course, we get some side CW action with Yoda on Kashyyk and Obi-Wan on Utapau, to give us a break from all the drama on Coruscant.

As someone mentioned earlier, the foreshadow of darkness in lines such as "Something's happening" and, of course, the fantastic "Padme's Ruminations" scene shows how one man's choices can affect the entire galaxy.

Once Anakin becomes Vader and attacks the Temple, the protagonist switches to Obi-Wan. He's the last line of defense and the only one who can defeat the monster Anakin has become. (But only physically)

I've always loved Obi-Wan and Padme's scene at the apartment. Coruscant still looks the same, even after the Empire has risen, and no one seems to care. The average citizen doesnt know how much has changed. The Jedi and Sith (Obi-Wan/Yoda) and (Sidious/Vader) are waging the war for the good of the people but no one else knows.

I think it's clever that the climax of Episode III isn't this big battle between military forces. It's 4 people battling for the heart and soul of the Republic.

11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    IMO the first half hour of ROTS is the most Flash Gordon-esque Star Wars produced since ANH in 1977, right down to the alliterating villains*;). One of GL's major inspirations for his space-opera series were children's movie serials, an influence that came full circle with TCW and later Rebels. In some ways the advent of SW cartoons feels like a homecoming of sorts for the franchise.

*Alliterating Villains...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I gladly and unapologetically maintain that this film is one of the high points of the entire saga. I never get tired of watching it.

13. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I enjoy all of the original 6 SW films, but even upon the shoulders of greatness, the last hour of ROTS stands as a true marvel.

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    As Chorus mentioned in another thread, the release of Rogue One created, for me, perhaps the best continuous stretch of Star Wars from ROTS (minus the Grievous stuff) through ANH. Watch those three in one sitting and the experience is mind-blowing.

15. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    The montages in this film are simply superb.

- Anakin and Padme ruminations
    - Order 66
    - Palpatine christening the Empire as Anakin slaughters the Separatists
    - Vader's birth/twins birth/Padme's death
    - Final montage of Padme's funeral/Vader and the Emperor/Alderaan/Tatooine

16. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    absolute kinography

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I just finished my annual view of ROTS. I love this movie. By far the best of the PT for me. It still has some flaws (my top two are General Grievous - blech, and the diminishment of Padme), but Hayden does his best work in this movie. Ewan is fabulous.... I mean just great, and I love how Ian gets to really dig his claws into being an incredibly slimy snake of a villain. delicious. The final lightsaber duels could have used some trimming, IMO... a little OTT. But the Order 66 sequence is really powerful, especially once you know some of these characters from watching TCW.

18. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I bet this is Lucas' favorite prequel.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  19. Rossini18

Rossini18 Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2016
    It's terrific! My personal favorite of the entire saga!

20. Dapper Droid

Dapper Droid Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2017
    10/10 movie. 11/10 with The Clone Wars behind it. Can't wait for the new season of TCW to come out and tie directly into it. I'm sure some fan will also make a super cut of ROTS and the Siege of Mandalore, which will be jarringly cool.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    whostheBossk and -Jedi Joe- like this.