main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT is more sci-fi oriented

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ValinFett21, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    In my opinion, the PT has more elements of sci fi than the OT. The ideas of a clone army and midichlorians seem farther from the realm of fantasy and myth than the rancor and Boba Fett(who becomes part of the scifi aspect due to the PT).

Any thoughts?

Dagsy edit: Please use the Trilogy Comparison thread

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    When you make a space opera, or a fantasy in a space setting, some science fiction is eventually gonna work its way in. There is a paragraph in the novel for ANH where Luke thinks about how the repulsorlift works on a starship.

Not that it matters TOO much, but usually sci-fi is a catch all term for space and fantasy, where as science fiction is a story in a space setting where technology is a very integral part of the story, so much that without the technology there is no story.

3. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Not really. If anything, the PT is more politically oriented.

4. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    Politically- very good point
    I think that there is the right amount of politics in AOTC, but in TPM, much of the story is based on the 'evil bureaucracy' and how it is becoming corrupt.

5. Guru_Yoda

Guru_Yoda Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2003
    The PT is definately more political, whereas the OT is more of a adventure with a good vs evil feel...IMHO

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Not really. If anything, the PT is more politically oriented."
    "The prequels will be altogether different in look and tone from the existing trilogy. They will be more melodramatic, showing the political intrigue and Machiavellian plotting that led to the downfall of the once-noble Republic. They will have only enough outward action to keep the plot moving. Obi-Wan Kenobi?and Darth Vader will be seen as younger men, while Luke Skywalker may make a brief appearance as a baby in Episode III." - Lucas, 1983

[i][b]"The first Trilogy will not be as much of an action adventure kind of thing. Maybe we'll make it have some humor, but right now it's much more humorless than this one...a little more Machiavellian - it's all plotting - more of a mystery."[/b][/i] - [link=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/features/lucasquote.htm]STARLOG Magazine #48, July 1982[/link][/blockquote]
    [i]"When you make a space opera, or a fantasy in a space setting, some science fiction is eventually gonna work its way in."[/i]
    [blockquote][i][b]"I suppose it's space fantasy,' Lucas said at the time. "But we don't explain anything. We take the hardware for granted. The story really is an action adventure, a fantasy hero's journey. It's aimed primarily at teenagers, the same audience as American Grafitti."

There was, most especially, Lucas' emphasis on the idea of a used future that was meant to be experienced as reality rather than fantasy. The Star Wars future was not showroom shiny but dented and rusty, as if it had had hard use on the back roads of innumerable galaxies. Lucas told an interviewer during production in England that the Apollo capsules may have looked brand-new when they soared away, but it was clear when they returned that the interior was littered with candy wrappers, empty Tang cans, and other trash, just like the family station wagon.

Ben Burtt was a teaching assistant in the sound department of the cinema school at USC when he was recruited to join Lucas on Star Wars. At their first conference, Burtt says, Lucas told him he wanted everything to sound real: "the motors to sound real, to sound squeaky and rusty, to use acoustic sounds - that is, to go off in the world and gather sounds. By using them, as we discovered, everything begins to take on a sense of reaity. The spaceships osounds like they really have motors in them.[/i][/b] - George Lucas: The Creative Impulse[/blockquote]

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Right, right. I have read all that looooong ago.
    What most people are questioning are things like midicloreans and clones and other science fiction staples. Once again in the PT Lucas brushes over them without any major explanation, the SW galaxy is very used to its technology. But the technology is there and sci fi and fantasy and science fiction type questions will all come up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.