main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PT] Prequel Trilogy Forum Now Open!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Strilo , Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The mods have been doing a terrible job thus far. I'd like to file a formal complaint to the administration.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The forum is over run with people who don't know what they're doing.
    I don't mean to be negative, but it is true.
    Tell your friends about this forum, it is in need of good posters. It is new and needs time to grow, it needs more structure, hopefully seasoned posters will come along, join the forum and take a more active role.

-Seldon

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    This forum will be fine, it's only three days old and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    There is a large number of new users posting in the PT forum that is true. Structure will come in time, from moderating and from seasoned users showing the new people how it's done.

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm glad this finally happened. :)

Is there a timeframe on when the Episode 1 and 2 forums will be merged with this?

~ James

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We don't have a merge feature. Maybe the mods of those forums might move threads over. But the eventual plan is for the TPM and AotC forums to be closed down.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I know it will take time to build up the forum, and I'm confident it will be put together nicely.

Last night, I was just frustrated with some of the discussions, and I suppose that frustration was illustrated in my post within this thread.

-Seldon

8. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Maybe the mods of those forums might move threads over. But the eventual plan is for the TPM and AotC forums to be closed down."

If anybody would like a thread moved from the Attack of the Clones forum to the new PT forum, I will gladly do that for them without question. :)

You don't even have to ask. All you need to do is tell me that you want it moved.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

9. CaroselThePimp

CaroselThePimp Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    And thus, another reason why Windy is the best mod on the JC.

:p

10. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Darth-Seldon, after seeing that "the C-3PO and R2-D2 problem" thread--I agree completely.

Honestly, no offense intended(I think it's off to a good start and will probably soon become one of my favorite JC boards), but some of the threads there irritate me--c'mon, I can't believe that some STILL don't know that the droids get their memories wiped between the two trilogies.

Again, I don't mean to be negative, I just wanted to get that off me :)

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You better get used to newbies... they will be around for a while.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Just remember that not all users create threads like the memory wipe because they don't know the answer so much as they love to get a rise out of people. Sad but true. Happens about a hundred times a day in the 3SA.

13. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    You spoiled people are a weird breed.... :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

14. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Ugh. I'm doing my best to contribute in the new board, but it's simply hard to post when everything's already been discussed...perhaps if people posted less threads, more specific and undiscussed topics could go up there. But for now...wow...

15. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Thus far, the "PT Forum" is a borderline disaster. It is overrun with an abject and pervasive tone of negativity, ludicrous propositions, and occasionally redundant threads. Even topics which are directed towards an allegedly "specific" and neutral conceit, ultimately descend into countless posts which question the "artistic worth" of the prequel films; I am beginning to think that this forum is simply a "Bashers' Sanctuary" writ large, something which does not encourage me to post in it. It is not necessary to have more than one or two threads which specifically address the "failings" of Episodes I and II, and all of the flaws that they might encompass, not thinly veiled topics which develop into attacks on plot or character minutia, serving as a proposed microencapsulation of all that is wrong with the films thus far. We do not require, for instance, multiple threads on questionable acting, why "The Phantom Menace" failed, why "Attack of the Clones" was a misfire, if the "Clone Wars" cartoon is better than Episode II, unimaginative character names, "Lord of the Rings" vs. "The Matrix" vs. "The Prequels" vs. "Harry Potter" vs. "Gigli" (I'm obviously being hyperbolic, but I hope that the issue is understood), and so on and so forth. Even the recent "Attack of the Edit" thread quickly became reduced to yet another tiresome debate over what went wrong with the prequels - I find it amazing as to how every single person suddenly attains a wealth of editorial knowledge which would rival that of Eisenstein, Kuleshov, or Griffith. It's terrible, and the commentary on both sides of the critical divide exhibits a vehement disdain which is frankly quite miserable and off-putting. I understand that a forum such as the one in question requires posters to contribute positively to a particular community in order for it to function properly, but at this point I have little desire to do so. Of course I could, in theory, spend my time endlessly defending the prequels and systematically de-constructing and refuting arugments, but there are times in which I would rather devote my energy to something else which pertains to these films, and does not concern the topic of their relative artistic worth; apart from a handful of threads, it isn't possible to do so. Therefore, I shall limit my time in this particular forum until the point at which some of these matters can be rectified (if those in control see fit to do so, although I do empathize with the fact that it is a work in progress).

16. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that one Hutt - the forum is meant to combine relevant discussions from the previous two forums and integrate Ep. III when it rolls out, which means that any form of discussion - positive or negative - is fair game. If you find a thread offensive, don't post in it. That has worked for the past six years, so don't expect it to change. There is nothing to be rectified.

17. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Thus far, the "PT Forum" is a borderline disaster. It is overrun with an abject and pervasive tone of negativity, ludicrous propositions, and occasionally redundant threads."

I don't see what your problem is. If everyone loved every single second of the Prequels discussion wouldn't be as interesting. Redundant threads are common place regardless of which forum they are in. This is going to sound cheesy, but you have a better opportunity to better your understanding and knowledge of the Prequels if you discuss it with other people that have different opinions to you. If you believe the Prequel Forum is full of negativity, why don't you post some thought provoking positive topics? You might even make other people think about their current opinion and they could focus less on the negative and more on the positive.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This is the third complaint about the PT forum being overly negative. I will also note that all three complaints are coming from people who have posted little to nothing in the PT forum, certainly no new positive threads. The way to combat that is to post relevant and interesting threads that are positive. I see very few. If everyone who loved the PT posted there actively, the forum would reflect the positivity. What I see is that the people doing the complaining aren't willing to help keep the forum positive. They are content to complain about it but not be part of the solution. What good does that do?

It is overrun with an abject and pervasive tone of negativity, ludicrous propositions, and occasionally redundant threads. Even topics which are directed towards an allegedly "specific" and neutral conceit, ultimately descend into countless posts which question the "artistic worth" of the prequel films; I am beginning to think that this forum is simply a "Bashers' Sanctuary" writ large, something which does not encourage me to post in it.

Then perhaps you need to become more familiar with the Sanctuary. In that thread, "gushing" is off topic. It is not allowed. In the PT forum, it is allowed just fine. We have to let people post their opinions, positive or negative so long as they stay within the rules of the TOS. It is not our place to moderate peoples' opinions about the films.

It is not necessary to have more than one or two threads which specifically address the "failings" of Episodes I and II, and all of the flaws that they might encompass, not thinly veiled topics which develop into attacks on plot or character minutia, serving as a proposed microencapsulation of all that is wrong with the films thus far.

So we as moderators should be locking most of these negative threads? Funny, when I have done anything close to that in the past, I get accused of being a heavy-handed moderator. Discussing the minutia of these films is what the forums are all about. Again, positive or negative we have to allow it so long as it's within the TOS.

We do not require, for instance, multiple threads on questionable acting, why "The Phantom Menace" failed, why "Attack of the Clones" was a misfire, if the "Clone Wars" cartoon is better than Episode II, unimaginative character names, "Lord of the Rings" vs. "The Matrix" vs. "The Prequels" vs. "Harry Potter" vs. "Gigli" (I'm obviously being hyperbolic, but I hope that the issue is understood), and so on and so forth.

We have one thread discussing TPM's flaws and one discussing AOTC's. More than THAT would be redundant. The discussion of the cartoons vs. AOTC is legitimate as is the comparison of LOTR / Matrix and the PT.

All of these threads you have mentioned I have kept a close eye on. They are currently proceeding with good discussion on both sides of the fence. This is all we can ask for in a discussion forum about the Prequel Trilogy.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This is just growing pains for the new forum. After the film's release and the DVD's out, it will be the only place to discuss Episode's 1-3. Discussion will grow and the negativity will lessen. The same thing happened when the 3SA was created years ago and we didn't know a thing about the film nor did we have anything to talk about. That created a stale environment and negativity was allowed to flourish. So trust me, get through a few more weeks and the PT Forum will be just fine.

20. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I apologize for the tone of my previous post in this thread, which was somewhat of an overbearing and reactionary diatribe. While it does contain the mention of notions that I shall maintain (please note that the use of negativity is not necessarily connected to a person's opinion), the manner in which I conveyed my thoughts was a bit counter-productive and unfair.

21. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    WIll there still be a Revenge of the Sith forum?(a mix of the EpIII spoiler forum and non Spoiler) as there was a mix of AOTC spoilers and AOTC no spoiler? or will everything go straight to the Prequel forum?

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Your question is answered several times in this thread already. The 3NS forum will merge into 3SA forming the ROTS forum. Sometime after the DVD release, the ROTS forum will merge into PT.

23. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
  24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I love the new forum because it allows us to think in terms of film(s) not just one in particular.

Great new place.

strilo
    The way to combat that is to post relevant and interesting threads that are positive.

Yes, like the "What is, hands down, the best thing about TPM?" thread.

25. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I apologize for the tone of my previous post in this thread, which was somewhat of an overbearing and reactionary diatribe.

Don't worry, it's all good :)

But Strilo is right. It's the responsiblity of the those who love the PT to express that love: Start positive threads, say positive things in threads like the ones you mentioned above, etc.

Also, honestly, the PT forum is a run of the mill PT forum. I've seen far, far worse in my four years with TPM, AOTC and PSA. There is nothing new or unusual about this place (actually, I find it quite positive). It just has the advantage of being open to all PT movies, not just pinned down to one (which at this stage in SW's history, was a serious disadvantage to the TPM and AOTC forums).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.