PT Soundtrack Anthology?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Kenneth Morgan, Apr 7, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    A while back, I got the boxed set of CDs with of the OT Soundtrack Anthology, including the expanded scores for each movie, plus unreleased and alternate tracks. Later, I picked up each 2-disc release of the OT-SE soundtracks.

Now, has anyone heard anything about when/if there are plans to do the same for the PT scores? I'd certainly want them.
  2. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    It doesn't look like there were any such plans before the Disney purchase, but who knows what Disney will do.
  3. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    After all, Disney loves remastering stuff.
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Strictly speaking, for some bizarre reason Sony distributes the music. And given the...less than thrilled..response people had to the TPM UE, I doubt they're going to try again.
  6. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    Well, they should've followed the OT Anthology example. Multiple discs, full re-mastering, previously-unreleased music, alternate tracks and takes, and extensive liner notes. I doubt I'm the only one who'd go for something like that in a minute.
  7. darklordoftech Chosen One

star 6
    Personally, I love the TPM UE. In fact, I often listen to it on my ipod.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Kenneth, the OT Anthology is actually not the model they should follow. That was focused on remastering and releasing the original soundtrack releases as nicely as possible. It was no where near complete and it was not remotely in film order, something many film score fans prefer. The gold standard for Star Wars scores are the OT Special Edition 2 disc sets. They were in film order and included almost all the music in the three films.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    Point taken. A combination of both approaches might work better.
  10. OldSchoolFan Jedi Master

star 1
    I have both the Anthology boxset and the individual SE 2 discers and I much prefer the SE 2 disc sets, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, the SE discs are more or less in order where as the Anthology discs seemed a bit slapdash and have some music on the 4th disc that should have been included on the movie that the piece appeared in's respective discs. So stick with the SE double discs (if only they could find the lost Max Rebo grooves or at least have some band re-record them, my SW music collection would be complete)
  11. Porkins4Ever Force Ghost

Yeah, I agree that the 2 disc SE sets are the best ones out there....since you can pretty much quote the movie line for line while listening to the music. I mean if you really watched the movie enough to know it line for line...[face_whistling]
    CaptainHamYoyo and DarthBoba like this.
  12. OldSchoolFan Jedi Master

star 1
    Uh oh, somebody must have been looking in my window the last time I had the ANH disc on....;)
  13. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    The Anthology set and the 1997 sets have advantages over one another. The Anthology has better sound quality for ROTJ as well as two versions of the Ewok Celebration, which is sorely missing on the '97 set. However the '97 set has the complete Battle of Hoth and a chronologically coherent Battle of Yavin.
  14. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish Sony would let La-La Land Records take over the rights for Star Wars scores. They always do the most thorough job on their releases. Phenomenal work. It would be amazing to get complete scores for I-III from them.
    Last edited by Billy_Dee_Binks, Jun 5, 2013
  15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    My friend Neil does a lot of work for them. He's tipped me off to some great score re-releases and limited editions.
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9

Oh, I like it too...the fan reaction (especially around here) wasn't what I'd call thrilled, though.
  17. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's far better than nothing, but as a "complete" score release, it's pretty bad.
  18. butlerd Jedi Grand Master

The only movie so far that has the complete score is TPM. I want full unabridged recordings for AOTC and ROTS ( though ROTS did recycle some music from AOTC)
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    The Ultimate Edition is not the complete score. There are tons of unreleased cues and tracks, including the unhacked tracks as they were composed by Williams.
Moderators: Darth_Nub