main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Soundtrack Anthology?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Kenneth Morgan, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    A while back, I got the boxed set of CDs with of the OT Soundtrack Anthology, including the expanded scores for each movie, plus unreleased and alternate tracks. Later, I picked up each 2-disc release of the OT-SE soundtracks.

Now, has anyone heard anything about when/if there are plans to do the same for the PT scores? I'd certainly want them.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It doesn't look like there were any such plans before the Disney purchase, but who knows what Disney will do.

3. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    After all, Disney loves remastering stuff.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Strictly speaking, for some bizarre reason Sony distributes the music. And given the...less than thrilled..response people had to the TPM UE, I doubt they're going to try again.

6. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, they should've followed the OT Anthology example. Multiple discs, full re-mastering, previously-unreleased music, alternate tracks and takes, and extensive liner notes. I doubt I'm the only one who'd go for something like that in a minute.

TX-20 and darklordoftech like this.
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Personally, I love the TPM UE. In fact, I often listen to it on my ipod.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Kenneth, the OT Anthology is actually not the model they should follow. That was focused on remastering and releasing the original soundtrack releases as nicely as possible. It was no where near complete and it was not remotely in film order, something many film score fans prefer. The gold standard for Star Wars scores are the OT Special Edition 2 disc sets. They were in film order and included almost all the music in the three films.

Howard Hand and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Point taken. A combination of both approaches might work better.

10. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I have both the Anthology boxset and the individual SE 2 discers and I much prefer the SE 2 disc sets, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, the SE discs are more or less in order where as the Anthology discs seemed a bit slapdash and have some music on the 4th disc that should have been included on the movie that the piece appeared in's respective discs. So stick with the SE double discs (if only they could find the lost Max Rebo grooves or at least have some band re-record them, my SW music collection would be complete)

11. Porkins4Ever

Porkins4Ever Jedi Master

Apr 12, 2005
    Yeah, I agree that the 2 disc SE sets are the best ones out there....since you can pretty much quote the movie line for line while listening to the music. I mean if you really watched the movie enough to know it line for line...[face_whistling]

CaptainHamYoyo and DarthBoba like this.
  12. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Uh oh, somebody must have been looking in my window the last time I had the ANH disc on....;)

13. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    The Anthology set and the 1997 sets have advantages over one another. The Anthology has better sound quality for ROTJ as well as two versions of the Ewok Celebration, which is sorely missing on the '97 set. However the '97 set has the complete Battle of Hoth and a chronologically coherent Battle of Yavin.

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I wish Sony would let La-La Land Records take over the rights for Star Wars scores. They always do the most thorough job on their releases. Phenomenal work. It would be amazing to get complete scores for I-III from them.

Howard Hand likes this.
  15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    My friend Neil does a lot of work for them. He's tipped me off to some great score re-releases and limited editions.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Oh, I like it too...the fan reaction (especially around here) wasn't what I'd call thrilled, though.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's far better than nothing, but as a "complete" score release, it's pretty bad.

TX-20 and Howard Hand like this.
  18. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    The only movie so far that has the complete score is TPM. I want full unabridged recordings for AOTC and ROTS ( though ROTS did recycle some music from AOTC)

darskpine10 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Ultimate Edition is not the complete score. There are tons of unreleased cues and tracks, including the unhacked tracks as they were composed by Williams.

Jedi Knight Fett and TX-20 like this.
  20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    ROTS reused music from both previous films. The escape from Naboo theme plays when The Invisible Hand starts falling.

21. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    It's everything that's in the film, so it's pretty ultimate to me. :)

darskpine10 likes this.
  22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank you, I don't understand why people were so critical of this release. I mean it's miles better than the treatment AOTC and ROTS got.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I would have loved UE of the same kind for AOTC and ROTS.

Hopefully the new films will lead to some 14 disc set with 2 discs for each movie and extra disc for each trilogy with source cues and the like.

Samwise_Skywalker likes this.
  24. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Weren't they creating a Clone Wars Season 1-6 CD Collection? Did that ever happen?

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    That would be wonderful. All we have now is Kiner's website and one really lacking soundtrack release. At least the TCW movie soundtrack is more or less complete.

Samwise_Skywalker likes this.