main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT-Theatrical version vs DVD vs BLu Ray Versions

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    darskpine10 Yes it can. Just squeeze the film/transfer it to 4;3.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yes, but then you lose parts of the image.

You can't just crowbar a widescreen film into a 4:3 shape without a loss in image.

3. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
  4. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    u can do it without losing image though.

5. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    This discussion is...just completely fascinating.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What is this, the twilight zone? You can't, If you squeeze it becomes deformed.

7. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Edit: Nevermind. Found what I was looking for on YouTube.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
  9. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Alexrd then how come I can watch my 4:3 movie

a normal TV

a widescreen TV

DVD on widescreen TV with no problem

blu ray one wisdescreen TV with black bars

I think you're just accepting what we're given. Neither one of us works in the business of porting with DVD's, maybe you do IDK but with technology limits aren't much for this kind of thing.

If you're right then when I watch my dvds on blu ray it's be all messed up, and it isn't, just screen lose. And then my 4:3 wouldn't work on my widescreen TV where it's scretched out, but it still balances out perfectly. So it is possible, it's just a case of Hollywood/big corperations being stupid. it's something they do all to often (points to original Xbone limitations. points to DBZ remastered sets.)

10. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    A.) Here's what a 4:3 (fullscreen) movie looks like on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

B.) Here's what a 4:3 (fullscreen) movie looks like stretched on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

C.) Here's what a 4:3 (fullscreen) movie looks like zoomed on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

D.) Here's what a 2:35:1 (widescreen) movie looks like on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

E.) Here's what a 2:35:1 (widescreen) movie looks like stretched on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

F.) Here's what a 2:35:1 (widescreen) movie looks like zoomed on a 16:9 television:
    [​IMG]

So, between options A-F:
    1.) Which are you saying you like (& would prefer it to look like) the most?
    2.) Which does it look like when you watch a 4:3 (fullscreen) DVD on a DVD player? Which does it look like when you watch a 2:35:1 (widescreen) DVD on a DVD player?
    3.) Which does it look like when you watch a 4:3 (fullscreen) DVD on a Blu-ray player? Which does it look like when you watch a 2:35:1 (widescreen) DVD on a Blu-ray player?
    4.) Which does it look like when you watch a 4:3 (fullscreen) Blu-ray on a Blu-ray player? Which does it look like when you watch a 2:35:1 (widescreen) Blu-ray on a Blu-ray player?
    5.) What exactly are you saying that DVDs can do that Blu-rays cannot? And when you say this, are you referring to the DVD/Blu-ray discs or the DVD/Blu-ray players?
    6.) Which do you think "Hollywood/big corperations" are doing currently, and which do you think they should be doing instead?

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You can't without deforming or losing part of the picture. Unless you're watching a 4:3 movie, you're going to get black bars on your 4:3 TV.

Blu-ray, like DVD, has nothing to do with aspect ratios.

What we are given is how the films are. You are the one making irrational complaints.

Like I said, when you watch the cropped, fullscreen version, you lose part of the picture.

If it's stretched, it's not balanced nor perfect.

Once again, you show no knowledge of what you're talking about. From what I can tell, the latest Dragon Ball Blu-ray release is cropped to 16:9. The original aspect ratio is 4:3, therefore they had to remove part of the picture. Same thing with the fullscreen versions of Star Wars. The original has a different aspect ratio. To fill the TV, the image was cropped.

RogueDianoga and DavidSword79 like this.
  12. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    A) E looks the best easily.
    B) again, E ....I'd like E with my widescreen DVD's but it has the black bars like D.

You're using a film that isn't 4:3 so most of them have to be thrown away as they lose footage, as apposed to a 4:3 product.

C) It looks like A unfortunately. Second answer is D.

D) Second answer is D, but the first on I'm not sure.

E) I'm saying my DVD's will show my 100% of 99% of my dvd's WITH 100% of the screen being used, and if I use them on my xbone (blu ray player) it makes me LOSE screen size.

4:3 DVD used for DVD-E

4:3 movie used for Blu Ray-A

If it's going to work as both a DVD "AND" a blu ray player, don't downgrade my DVD experience in some stupid scam to make me wanna buy blu ray. Blu ray isn't killing DVD's like they want because their own stupidity at the start (being so slow and requiring the internet and crap. So glad newer blu ray s don't do that to my knowledge.)

F) Hollywood and corporations just always seam to do stupid things, and they shouldn't do them. Take xbox one for example, I can't play a game I bought if It's digital and I have no internet connection.....that literally serves them no purpose and makes me despise the corporation and want to switch to Nintendo...which I actually did. Not getting the next xbox system. Or how about how achievements are locked to the internet? Now they have to use up cloud storage and more money for a system that has been failing to unlock achievements and annoying people.

Or how about when funimaiton "remastered" DBZ and cut of 60% of the footage to add on black bars an make it 16:9. GO look up how bad the remastering for the orange brick seasons sets are. It's a complete disgrace. Imagine looking at E for the original footage, then lucasarts remasters it so the top and bottom are cut off and you lose windu's feet and half the smoke on the top there.

13. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Alexrd I don't know what to tell you because where you're getting your stuff from man IDK. My 4:3 dvds for example play fine on a widescreen TV. It transfers perfectly.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    As it should, with black bars on the sides.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm sorry i just have to ignore this. it's making my brain bleed. this guy has to be a troll or i don't know if i can go on living.

16. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    So what I'm gathering is that you like 4:3 (fullscreen) DVDs on DVD players because you are able to stretch them to fill your television screen?
    But just to clarify, when you say your 4:3 DVD looks like E on a DVD player, did you mean to say B? Because E is the stretched widescreen version. B is the stretched fullscreen version. So B is the stretched version of A. E is the stretched version of D.

And do you see how your preferred viewing method (for Star Wars) is distorting the picture? 4:3 (fullscreen) DVDs are already cropped & have chopped off sides. But when you force that image to fill your television screen, you're stretching it. Do you not care that you have such a cropped and deformed version of the original picture?

As far as what you're saying about Blu-ray players, you're probably right that they don't let you stretch 4:3 movies to fill the 16:9 television screen. But again, why would you even want to do this? You're just stretching a cropped picture. You're not gaining image on either side when you stretch it to fill your screen. Also, I doubt that Blu-ray players ever required an internet connection. Do you realize that with Blu-ray, you can watch movies in HD? Like in a much higher resolution? You're able to see much more detail in the picture (see here: http://www.generalforum.com/images/hosted/bluray_vs_dvd_vs_vhs_01.jpg). So the only thing against Blu-ray that we've established is that it can't stretch 4:3 movies to fit your 16:9 television. But that again begs the question: why would anyone want to do that???

Regarding what you're saying about DBZ, it's a completely different situation. DBZ was animated in a 4:3 ratio; Funimation cropped it to 16:9. Star Wars was created in 2.35:1...and that's the way it should be watched, unless you want to crop or stretch the picture.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  17. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Alexrd No, it only ONLY has black bars on my widescreen when its blu ray. I keep saying that man. you keep saying it's impossible or looks bad when it's possible and has been done and looks amazing on my tv. Maybe you need a better TV?

theMaestro I like what I like. I want all the footage+all the screen. it's doable. I don't accept limitations, that's halting progress. I meant E because as I said things like b has to be disregarded because you asked about a 4:3 product but used 16:9, which means there's a difference. because 16:9 full screen makes me lose screen,. as 4:3 doesn't, which is why it's VASTLY superior. I know full screen is a big loss of footage for star wars, my sentiment is that is shouldn't be.
    I want to lose NO FOOTAGE and NO SCREEN. As do many I spoke to. I get some prefer the bars for a cinematic experience, but I think they should tell people that there's lost footage on full screen, as for the longest time I did not know that about star wars. I've watched fullscreen thinking I've got all the footage and had widescreen for collector's sake when actually it's the other way around. I prefer fullscreen when I don't lose footage, and that what we should have. isn't the star wars blu rays full screen with no footage lost?

@ thejeditraitor XD

I think this has gotten off topic a little bit. I want what I want, that's that. If you prefer black bars then good for you, it's not for everyone. It's why there's full screen AND widescreen, because people don't like to lose some of the screen to literally nothing. Different tastes. You all asked why I hate 16:9, I said my peace. I'm not gonna force my view on you guys.

Back to the special editions. What were the best changes made to the PT? I honestly think making yoda CGI for episode 1 was a BIG improvement.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The only way to show without black bars is if it's either stretched or cropped, both of which are the opposite of "looking amazing". Why don't you post a picture of it? You'll see how what we are saying is how it is.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  19. theMaestro

Oct 16, 2015
    (I added red text in the quote as my guess for what you're trying to say)
    Okay, if your main goal is the fill your television screen, then fair enough. You want something that has all the footage and fills the whole screen, even if that requires stretching the footage.

And just so you know, it's not that I (or other people) like black bars. What we like is to watch the movie as it actually is, the way it played in theaters. And we accept that in order to watch it on a 16:9 television, there are going to be black bars. Option E involves stretching the picture to make it fit a 16:9 television, so we don't want that because it distorts the image and wouldn't be representative of how the movie actually is.

To answer your question, the Star Wars Blu-rays are 2.35:1 (so they're widescreen). They have no lost footage. But they will not fill up your 16:9 television screen. There will be black bars.

oierem and DavidSword79 like this.
  20. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Just so everyone can follow the discussion clearly:

By "lost footage" what you guys mean is "lost information in the image". Footage, as in physical footage of celluloid, means whole scenes or sequences, or entire shots within those sequences. What you guys are discussing is visual information at the edges of the picture plane, which has never been called "footage". :-B

As to the black bars, at the movie theater there are curtains or wall fabric or some kind of external surface above and below and to the sides of the silver screen. If we can ignore that stuff while we watch the film, surely we can ignore black bars on the TV screen. theMaestro nailed it when he wrote:

What we like is to watch the movie as it actually is, the way it played in theaters. And we accept that in order to watch it on a 16:9 television, there are going to be black bars. Option E involves stretching the picture to make it fit a 16:9 television, so we don't want that because it distorts the image and wouldn't be representative of how the movie actually is.

=D=

SlashMan and theMaestro like this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not sure why one would watch Star Wars this way:

4:3 Stretched:

[​IMG]

16:9 Stretched:

[​IMG]

When the actual movie is this way:

2.35:1 OAR:

[​IMG]

theMaestro and DavidSword79 like this.
  22. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    If I could post a picture, I would. But I can't even reply to people anymore, I have to type in their names for some reason. DIK what happened but it's been like this for about a month or two.

But when I put in a dvd on a widescreen via dvd player its great looking. the blu ray squishes it.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's nothing great about losing part of the picture (either by stretching or cropping).

And you can post pictures using this code:

Code:
    [img]insert link of the picture[/img]

24. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    1. I'm not losing any of the picture when I use my dvd! You keep saying I do but I don't. You lose it if you use a full screen for star wars. Let's just agree to disagree, also thanks for trying to help but all I see is a X in a photo and IMG in brackets. My problem is I have no way of getting my Tv's screen into a picture for the forum posting. But let's get back to the star wars topic because this kinda morphed from a question of why I don't like 16:9 to changing the thread into a 4:3 vs 16:9 thread, this is for star wars prequel version discussion.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What I'm saying is that Star Wars in fullscreen on any TV (widescreen or not) doesn't look fine. It's either stretched or cropped.

Take a photo, upload it on the internet and post the link.

DavidSword79 likes this.