main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT-Theatrical version vs DVD vs BLu Ray Versions

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Feb 17, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Or you can buy a Blu-Ray/DVD combo player and get the appropriate cables that allow you to plug all ports into your television.

More like people don't want to have to upgrade their libraries again, after doing so from VHS to DVD. I had to do that ten years ago and I don't plan to again.

But you're not losing anything. If it was 4:3 to begin with, it is still 4:3 on Blu-Ray. The only change is that you see the black bars as a result of said footage being 4:3 to begin with and not having anything surrounding it. Unlike "Transformers: The Movie", which was intentionally altered to begin with, the rest of the show is still 4:3 on Blu-Ray.

This is footage from season three, circa 1986. It is in 1080p, but the footage has not be altered. The black bars exist as consequence of being encoded on Blu-Ray. The whole footage has not been changed.

No one screwed up. They preserved the original image of the original 4:3 footage. It is a consequence of newer technology and older technology.

Indeed. The same thing happened with "Transformers: Animated" which was widescreen when it was made and changed to 4:3 for no reason at all, by Hasbro when it aired on Cartoon Network. Fans could only see it 16:9 on the Hub Network, over two years after it was cancelled.

[​IMG]

The top image is the broadcast and DVD version. The second is the original footage from the Hub Network and the third is from Japan, where they added a wallpaper as the show was still 4:3 when it aired in 2010.

The Blu-Ray versions are the widescreen versions. Depending on your settings, you either see the black bars or you don't.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    thejeditraitor

That's the second time in an hour I've seen posts insulting others. Please stop. Further continuation of this behaviour will warrant you a ban.

3. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Alexrd I agree on full screen for the star wars films there's a problem, but I'm talking about things other then star wars. And I want star war full screen to look good.

Also my phone's broke. Just imagine the 4;3 footage stretched out. It's not as bad as you think for being stretched, it actually looks good on my TV. It looks like it's transferred fine and doesn't look stretched at all, if anything the blu ray squished bars looks weird being smushed. It only looks good full screen on widescreen or classic TV. The only drawback is the lose of footage. Either you lose footage or screen, both are a con I don't like. Can we just leave it at that?

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So it's like I said. You're watching Star Wars stretched = deformed = not good = wrong.

5. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    As it is right now, yes Alexrd...I agree 100% that the star wars full screen dvds ARE deformed/wronged. I just want all the footage and screen is all. The only thing that has that is 4:3 star wars DVD's like clone wars and ewoks.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If you're watching a cropped version, you're already losing part of the picture. If you like to watch it cropped, it's your choice. But don't pretend it's a problem with the movies, the Blu-ray format, or that it's perfectly fine.

7. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I don't think you've been reading what I've posted correctly. Let's just drop this ;/

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The solutions are simple and don't involve stretching your picture to fit the whole television frame. You can get a combo player and watch the appropriate DVDs of your favorite television shows, while watching feature films on Blu-Ray.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  9. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015

It's impossible to fit a Star Wars film perfectly into a TV screen of any size or proportion, because the films were not shot or released in a format that conforms to the size of any TV screen. What is so hard to understand about this? Your demand for a version that fits without any black bars, without any squashing or stretching is impossible to fulfill.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  10. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    If you dislike 16:9 so much then why did you buy a 16:9 TV?

DavidSword79 likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Neither Clone Wars (Micro series) nor The Clone Wars (feature film and TV-show) were produced in 4:3. The micro series was produced in 16:9, while the CG animated show was produced in 2.35:1 (and shown on TV cropped to 16:9).
    The 4:3 Star Wars products you can find are: Droids, Ewoks (animated), Ewoks (movies) and The Holiday Special.

As for the movies - they were shot in 2.35:1 (this means 2.35 times wider than the height of the picture). They have been released in this aspect ratio on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray. In the good ol' VHS days, most releases however, were cropped to 4:3 (1.33 times wider than the height), making you lose about half the picture. In a few countries, even some DVD's were released in this now obsolete aspect ratio, because people were used to it. Some TV stations now play the movies cropped to 16:9 (1.78 times wider than the height), which would make it the only way to see the movies in a "fullscreen" format for modern televisions.

You can keep wishing for Star Wars movies that cover the entire TV screen without any loss of picture, but it's probably never going to happen (unless 2.35:1 televisions become a thing. I've seen such TV's on display, but I don't think anyone would buy one). Directors for epic films such as Star Wars prefers the widescreen format, since it allows for nicer picture compositions, and makes the worlds they create look larger (and it does mean a bigger frame - more picture information to use for storytelling).

The bars on the top and bottom (or left and right if you're watching 4:3 content) makes the picture correct. It is the only way to watch the films the way it was intended. I promise, if you give it a chance, you'll learn to appreciate the widescreen format, since you get so much more of the films.

DavidSword79 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Do they even still sell 4:3 format TV sets?

13. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015

Sure, at second-hand stores like Goodwill in the US.

14. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I prefer the theatrical cut of Phantom Menace because that's the version I had taped off of TV when I was younger. Clones and Sith, I'm not really that bothered which version since they are mostly minor.

15. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I asked that we drop this and people keep going back to it -_-

And what makes you think I bought one? My drunken father broke my TV and had to get me a new one. 4;3 is bad. IF you disagree great, I don't care. We don't have to agree, talk about the PT editions, not screen formats people.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Just trying to help out, dude.

17. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    It's fine but people have been getting offensive and overly emotional over this. I feel like I'm the guy who says 16:9 is a GOOD thing on another forum I use. Here everyone is for 16:9, over there it's cancer incarnate. I just hate the change in TV's more then anything, because it's the reason so many things have bars on the sides when they're supposed to be full screen, that's just how I feel.

18. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Emotional? Right.... Like you can see everyone's expressions.

whostheBossk and DavidSword79 like this.
  19. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    Yes, even for the DVD (to a lesser extent) I believe. When I first got the DVD I was like what happened to the beautiful colors in some scenes?

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Lol, my post there was seven years old. :p
    The original dvd did not have the green tint that the later releases got though.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    Haha, and that is not the crazy thing, the crazy thing is the next four pages of posts! That I was not expecting.

But now that it is finally back on topic after a decade hah....

I'm pretty darn sure the DVD added some teal too, at least to a few scenes. I don't think the DVD is what the 35mm looked like regarding colors, certainly not for some scenes. Maybe the digital theatrical looked like it, not sure, I do recall the digital looked different (I thought blander, but maybe something was set wrong at the theater I saw that one at. For TPM, the digital versions were more brilliant. But maybe they already added some the damping teal?)

On a side note, here is a nice look at the original robit hand in hires:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  22. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I love having the theatrical widescreen version of TPM on VHS, minor as the changes are I do feel quite nostalgic for the theatrical cut and just think 133 minutes is the right length, that is what it was, should be experienced again as and 136 minutes just a bit too long and off, the theatrical pod race as is long enough and even if it could be a bit longer (while other racers introductions are really not needed) that increase and a little more in very introduction to Coruscant probably throws off the rest at least a little.

On the other hand with Clones DVD I do like quite a bit the added hand holding, the uh-huh and the extension of the confession scene feels very natural and flowing, very always was/should have been part of the scene, minor but I do like those changes. Sith DVD feels even weirder to just change two wipes so soon after the theatrical version but doesn't make a difference.

23. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    By the way, I do tend to prefer 4:3 for television shows, something about that having shorter length but for many episodes, the squarer, more intimate focus (and usually more on the main characters) feels nicer and more fitting while (aside from generally liking original ratio period) films, especially the intentionally more epic ones, feel more appropriate being wider.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Destroyed...by the Empire!

25. RogueDianoga

Sep 11, 2022
    Here is the digital theatrical and all home media version for comparison (just did a quick screengrab of a youtube video for this, not sure if it looks so much darker because they didn't do a good HDR->SDR before posting or if the digital version simply is like this, haven't checked disc yet):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023