main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT visuals "sub par" in 20 years?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by bobasho, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I actually agree with what Durwood just wrote. And that's a first!

:)

2. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Sorry, but a South Park cartoon isn't going to convince George to do anything. And you know good and well you're going to buy the OT, regardless.

I wouldn't buy it if it didn't include the original versions. It wouldn't be what I became a fan of, so I wouldn't have any interest in it.

I'll get the DVDs if they include the original versions of the Star Wars movies. The reason why the E.T. DVD interests me is because it includes the original version.

As long as Lucas includes the original versions he can replace everyone with Ewoks for all I care. :)

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Like I said, don't count on Lucas including the complete original versions as he has made it pretty clear that these are not the versions he prefers. I'd expect him to do like Robert Wise did for the excellent DVD edition of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE where the alternate versions of various scenes were presented as supplemental material (the film went through two or three recuts over the years prior to the director's definitive DVD cut).

4. threepio_mania

Dec 15, 2002
    Like I said, don't count on Lucas including the complete original versions as he has made it pretty clear that these are not the versions he prefers. I'd expect him to do like Robert Wise did for the excellent DVD edition of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE where the alternate versions of various scenes were presented as supplemental material (the film went through two or three recuts over the years prior to the director's definitive DVD cut).

He may not prefer them, but plenty of fans do, and he should release them for the fans.

Is the Star Trek TMP DVD a special edition where several minutes of the film are cut out? Those special effects shots with the Enterprise dragged on and on and on and on and on and on... well, you get the idea.

5. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Actually, the ST: TMP DVD has more effects shots, incorporating new visuals that either were not completed in 1978 or were impossible at the time. Robert Wise and his team went back to the original story boards and created new effects sequences just for the DVD. I still think STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE is one of the most underrated science fiction classics.

As for Lucas, the original films are already available for anybody who wants them and will probably continue to be available in one form or another after the Ultimate Edition release.

As for the fans, well, it seems that most of the fans reacting negatively to his decision are the ones who have been giving him hell ever since RETURN OF THE JEDI, so you have to ask yourself what compelling reason there is for him to go out of his way to cater to them. His true fans fully respect his decision.

6. threepio_mania

Dec 15, 2002
    Actually, the ST: TMP DVD has more effects shots, incorporating new visuals that either were not completed in 1978 or were impossible at the time. Robert Wise and his team went back to the original story boards and created new effects sequences just for the DVD. I still think STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE is one of the most underrated science fiction classics.

So the Star Trek movie is even longer? And I thought it was boring before...

As for Lucas, the original films are already available for anybody who wants them and will probably continue to be available in one form or another after the Ultimate Edition release.

Yeah, they are available on VHS. Why not put them on DVD so they won't wear out? I'm sure he will make money off of original Star Wars Trilogy DVD's.

As for the fans, well, it seems that most of the fans reacting negatively to his decision are the ones who have been giving him hell ever since RETURN OF THE JEDI, so you have to ask yourself what compelling reason there is for him to go out of his way to cater to them. His true fans fully respect his decision.

Hey, I have only been badmouthing Star Wars since AOTC. :) And even then I think that the movie was still pretty good.

His true fans? What the hell determines a true fan? Someone who fully agrees with every thing he does? I consider myself a true Star Wars fan, even though I don't think of every SW thing as excellent just because its Star Wars.

I remember watching the original Star Wars movies before the SE and I thought they were the best things I had ever seen. I would love to have those versions I remember on a format that is higher quality.

I think that if it makes him more money Lucas will do it. The original versions of the OT on DVD will most likely make Lucas money. So hopefully he will do it.

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Let's face it, by the time the entire 6-part saga comes out on DVD some enterprising people will probably have the entire original OT available to download online anyway. If they don't already...

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    his true fans fully respect his decision.

Jeez! what is this, some kind of religious cult? If it's all the same to you guys I'll just carry on using my own brain to form opinions rather than worrying if I'm a 'True Fan' or not.

9. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    The true fans are not devoid of opinion, they're just the ones who happen to respect the man and his work.

10. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I'm not a George Lucas fan. I'm a Star Wars fan... there is a difference.

11. threepio_mania

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm not a George Lucas fan. I'm a Star Wars fan...

Same here. You can be a "true" Star Wars fan and not think that everything Lucas does is excellent.

Not releasing the original versions of Star Wars on DVD would suck more than Jar Jar Binks.

12. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    20 Years?!? In five years SW, LOtRs and HP will look quaint & nostalgic. Things are moving very quickly and tastes are changing. In 20 years our fave genre films will play like silent films do to most of us; slow & clunky.

13. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    20 years is a long time to base a assestment of the visual effects in PT. That's like holding on to a inferior method of presenting films to the general public, for fear of change...otherwise know as the movie industy's obsession with film.

GL has said, on many occasions, that he views the most recent version of OT (SE...soon the "Archive Edition") as the closest to his original ideas. While I'm all for more SW, I would like the theatrical release to be preserved for generations as an example of how GL set the standard for visual effects. But that's not my decision to make. The thing I liked about SE was that, while many new or "re-do" shots were introduced, not everythng was scraped in favor of the latest technology. In ANH, while they improved the shot of the fighters approaching the DS, many of the scenes classic moments were preserved:

"I'm gonna cut across the access shaft, and try and draw their fire"
    ((X-Wings roll towards the right))

our fave genre films will play like silent films do to most of us; slow & clunky
    I disagree, while the technology used will improve, I think good storytelling will never be considered "slow & clunky." Movies like SW, LOTR, and Harry Potter have been so well told, the level of the special effects will not be looked down upon. If you want a movie that will not stand the test of time, WITHOUT all it's special effects...file "The Matrix" under all-hype...no substance

14. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    Yep, I think in about 20 years the effects in the PT will look pretty fake and outdated; unlike the OT, which I think has managed to stay pretty convincing in its effects through the years (with exceptions of course, one being the Rancor)

This will probably be true of all current movies that use a lot of CGI, like LOTR, Spider-Man, X Men, etc. You've just gotta figure that the story will be endearing enough to draw future audiences, regardless of the "outdated special effects".

Still, think about how much CGI is used in the PT. There is a lot of it. Sometimes the only thing that is actually real is the actors. If, in 20 years, all this CGI looks incredibly fake and cheesy, it will detract from the movie if nobody can believe the characters are talking to Jar Jar because he looks too fake.

15. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Yep, I think in about 20 years the effects in the PT will look pretty fake and outdated; unlike the OT...

Whatever! [face_laugh]

16. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    Look, when I watch ESB, Yoda doesn't look fake to me. I mean, yeah, he's a puppet and you know that, but you his appearence doesn't alter the performance. Same with a lot of the space battles and stuff. When I saw the trilogy in the late 90's, I was impressed with the effects. Not saying the OT has great visuals, because it doesn't. Besides the effects, the film just looks old. You can tell it was made a long time ago. But still, it looks good for a movie made 20 years ago.

In 20 years, if CGI Yoda looks really fake, it might distract from his character. Ever see a movie where something looks totally fake and it sorta distracts from what's going on. I know when I saw Jaws, I was laughing at the shark because it looked fake. When the movie first came out, people probably didn't laugh, because the shark looked convincing to them.

17. threepio_mania

Dec 15, 2002
    I personally don't care about the effects all that much. My reason for liking the movies that I like is because of the story. I don't give a damn if the shark looks fake in Jaws, the film told a good story. Probably the reason why I don't like The Matrix as much as everyone else is because even though the effects were excellent, the story being told wasn't all that great towards the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.