main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Public Moderator nominations/voting thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    We don't have a voice in mod nominations, which is the whole point of this thread. Nominating people for modships is forbidden everywhere on the JC. How is that a voice? And I know Sapient has been in here telling us he gets a few PMs suggesting people every now and again, and that's great. But there's no way for us to know if those that are suggested are ever picked.

So? You still won't know if the choice is picked even if you have your so-called voice. So what's the difference?

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    You're taking my words out of context. Instead of being overassuming, I suggest you question my judgement instead. It works a lot better that way.

I'm saying that by using the Costuming/Props forum, they're tightening their grip on who gets to pick our leaders - them, and solely them. Maybe it's our fault for not giving enough suggestions, maybe we should use our resources better, but all in all, it's just showing how little real power the JC populace has and I'm not happy with that, but perhaps other JCers are satisfied. Who knows.

And I have no problem with who has been picked. Most of them have turned out just fine. I'll use an Austin Powers cut scene to illustrate my sentiments.

In Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery, Number Two got fed up with Doctor Evil and tried to strike a deal with Austin Powers - which included one billion dollars and a lovely briefcase.

Austin found out that he was actually around $800 dollars short (I don't remember what it was exactly) and Number Two admitted that he used that money to purchase the briefcase. Austin loved the briefcase, but he didn't like the fact that it was picked for him. He had no say in the matter.

That's precisely how I feel.

GO 'CLONES!

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "You and I both know that 'drama' will not end even with this illusion of a 'voice'."

I said "less drama," not "no more drama." And what makes you think this voice would be an illusion? If regular members could nominate several users, and the admins pick one or more of those we nominate, that is a voice. It wouldn't be an illusion in the least.

"So? You still won't know if the choice is picked even if you have your so-called voice. So what's the difference?"

That's why it should go through the AC first, as YodaJeff has stated so many times. That way, we will know.

Amazing.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    And what if the admins see it necessary to go outside that list?

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I said "less drama," not "no more drama." And what makes you think this voice would be an illusion? If regular members could nominate several users, and the admins pick one or more of those we nominate, that is a voice. It wouldn't be an illusion in the least.

Again, you won't know if your nomination is taken seriously or not. And you won't know unless that person is elevated to mod status. So, yes, it is an illusion.

That's why it should go through the AC first, as YodaJeff has stated so many times. That way, we will know.

If it goes through the AC first there will be campaigning, peer pressure and all the other joys of life. No difference either. It's still up to the mods and admins. Where's the 'voice' at? When it all boils down to it you really have no voice, even if this idea is implemented. Again, an illusion.

6. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    It doesn't really matter. If four mods were to be picked, and two were "people's choice" mods and the other two were "mod choice" mods, that's good enough. At least the members still have their voice, as Amazing said.

GO 'CLONES!

7. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Again, you won't know if your nomination is taken seriously or not. And you won't know unless that person is elevated to mod status. So, yes, it is an illusion."

Read the edit to my last post.

"And what if the admins see it necessary to go outside that list?"

Then you should expect huge threads in Comms complaining about the admins totally dismissing the regular users. But, really, do you think so little of us that that would be necessary? I don't.

Amazing.

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    What if we had the people make the list and the AC pick the a mod from it?

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If it was necessary to go outside the list, then I think a reasonable explanation would be given.

What if we had the people make the list and the AC pick the a mod from it

No. That completely leaves out the administration, which will be working with whomever is chosen. Not a good idea.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    It doesn't really matter. If four mods were to be picked, and two were "people's choice" mods and the other two were "mod choice" mods, that's good enough. At least the members still have their voice, as Amazing said.

It does really matter because the 'people's choice' would be mods who people thought it would be 'cool' to be a mod. And the modsquad would have two unknown quantities. People they cannot predict. I think it'd be a little harder for them to moderate the moderators if it were people's choice.

11. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "And what if the admins see it necessary to go outside that list?"

Cries of bias and ignoring the members in no short order ;)

"So you use the lesser frequented forums...."

Contrary to what you may think, the majority of traffic for these boards does not come through Communications and JCC. Yes, they are big forums but such sweeping decisions as these effect the entire boards. 5 vocal users in a single forum does not make a majority.

12. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    I never said that the members actually physically would vote for them. Of course there'd be a few people that the members would think of as being "cool".

The mods would simply pick the best out of the serious considerations.

EDIT to DA: I'm aware of that. I regularly post in about a half dozen forums and lurk daily in at least 5 more. For example, FanFic is frequented even more than YJCC. Just because I don't post there doesn't mean that I don't spend time there to see what's going on.

GO 'CLONES!

13. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "If it goes through the AC first there will be campaigning, peer pressure and all the other joys of life."

How so? No one would know they were nominated. Only ACers and mods. Therefore, no campaigning.

Amazing.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I never said that the members actually physically would vote for them. Of course there'd be a few people that the members would think of as being "cool".

The mods would simply pick the best out of the serious considerations.

Which leads back to my original statement that this would all be an illusion. So why do you want it changed?

How so? No one would know they were nominated. Only ACers and mods. Therefore, no campaigning.

That was made if it were public in the AC thread.

15. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "That was made if it were public in the AC thread."

Or the AC forum, for that matter.

16. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I actually think it is a great idea. Because I know a bunch of people who would make great mods, but don't because "their not well renouned"

I think its excellent. THe idea of having the Advisory Counsel, is genious. Then the Admins can choose who they think is good out of all of them. Genious idea I say.

Peace and Unity

JMA

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    We're talking abotu one mod for a test period, lets see if it workd before saying for certain there will be campaigning and favours and back scratching?

After all, if the mdos find out about that they can always throw the person out or remove any member campaigning from the list.

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    So we've gone from the users expressing their opinions on new mods in private to choosing the next mod in the space of 4 pages? ?[face_plain]

19. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Or the AC forum, for that matter.

There's an AC forum? :eek: Damnit! Why am I not informed of such things?! :D

Anyways this would all be an illusion. And then eventually members wouldn't be as content with this illusion as much as they were when it was implemented. Then members would cry foul and call for a more direct form of nominating and would actually want the mods to elect mods based on a vote. Like the electoral college. You really have no voice even if you get this policy. It's not a great one either. Too havoc causing and would take a lot of work to get it perfected.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "There's an AC forum?"

Yeah, and regular members can't read it. As such, all nominations posted there would not be public. So there couldn't be any campaigning.

Amazing.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually there still could be. Member A asks Member B to nominate them. And eventually the clique could get a silent campaign going. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it won't be happening. Just knowing that they'd take nominations seriously could cause members to campaign.

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    And why not make campaigning a spankable offense.

Anyone who had done enough to be in serious consideration wouldn't want to upset that I think.

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    The thing is there would be no way of knowing if the campaigning were done through PM and I doubt someone doing such a thing would go to someone they didn't trust.

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If the campaigning is only as much as 'if you nominate me I'll nominate you' I don't think that would have much impact on the deliberations.

And I think we're also being a bit overcautious. exactly what do we mean by campaigning and how would it effect the discussion?

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    If the campaigning is only as much as 'if you nominate me I'll nominate you' I don't think that would have much impact on the deliberations.

You know members try to make deals. Like "If I become a mod I'll try to make sure you're at least considered and maybe promoted" now such a scenario would never happen in quite that way. But something similar could happen.

And I think we're also being a bit overcautious. exactly what do we mean by campaigning and how would it effect the discussion?

Campaigning would include rallying your supporters and have them nominate you. It would also entail trying to give them favors once said person becomes a mod. Whether it really would happen or not is open to question. But I'm fairly certain that is how it would work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.