Public Opinion of AOTC

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Lord_Hydronium, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There have been a lot of threads in which people mention that most of the public liked/disliked the prequels. A lot of different surveys and polls have been brought up, and I thought it would be a good idea if they were all brought together. So any polls, statistics, or whatnot you have on public opinion of AOTC, post them here. This does not include things like "That critic thought it was good", or "My friend thought it was bad", but actual proveable statistics that sample a large number of people. If you can provide a link, all the better. Basically, there is an unspoken "PPOR" here.

NOTE: This is not intended to become a "b-word"/"g-word" thread, nor is it intended to tell people that they are wrong if they disagree with the general public. I'm just interested in getting an idea of what the populace thinks of Episode II.

Let's start with a often-mentioned one: Rotten Tomatoes

64% of critics liked it. Not an overwhelming majority, but a majority nonetheless, and enough to give it a fresh rating.
  2. AL Chosen One

star 5

Why can't we use grandiose and billabong?

What have you got against those words?
  3. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Because "garbage" and "banal" are better words to describe most posts in this forum.

Except those by me. :cool:

EDIT: Changing the happy face to the cool face
  4. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Amazon.com The average star rating of 800 people is 4/5. That's excellent.

Epinions.com 188 people at this site give AOTC an average of almost 4/5 stars. Again, excellent.
  5. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    I should also mention that
    moviefone.com users (500 total) give AOTC 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
  6. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Billabong?

Well maybe there was one on Naboo but other than that.......
  7. MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Of course the public likes AoTC. Most of the people who don't are just Prequel haters who won't even give the PT a chance just because "It isn't the original trilogy."

And another thing... There is no PT or OT. There's just Star Wars, a set of 6 movies. Just because Lucas made the last three before the first three doesn't mean that the first three are a different set of movies, or that they don't count, or that they're bad... Honestly, I just don't get prequel haters' logic...

And yes, someone's going to say I'm a hypocrite because I really don't like The Phantom Menace at all. The thing is, I don't like TPM for the actual content of the movie, not just because "it's part of the prequels", which is basically the reason most of these bashers hate AoTC.
  8. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    MetalGoldKnight, I also am a PT fan, and believe that the public in general likes AOTC, but I created this thread so that we could get some hard facts on what the public thinks, rather than all the conjecture that people use and that starts so many arguments.
  9. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Thank you Lord Hydonium. I'm getting kind of tired of having to repeat myself and prove to uninformed people that the majority of people actually liked AOTC despite what the vocal minority of "B-words" attempt to claim.

Now I can just place a link back to this thread when the conversation hits a wall, as it always does.

You have done TFN a great service, you should be commended.
  10. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Cinescape poll

Out of 6885 people polled, 53% say AOTC was their favorite summer movie. The runner-up, Spider-man, only got 29% of votes.

Thanks, Only-2. I think consolidating data is always good, especially when it keeps conversations in other threads from getting sidetracked in discussions on who liked what.

Any other submissions?
  11. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Opinions of Star Wars fans (not necessarily "public opinion", but still important):

theforce.net poll

15,677 polled, 53.89% rate it excellent, 28.12% very good, and 9.59% good. That's 82.01% who rate it very good or above, and 91.6% who rate it good or above.

From the JC forum poll:

65% of 996 people gave it 5 stars, and 89% gave it 4 or more stars.
  12. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Before this turns into another round of B/G wars....

I doubt the validity of Internet polls...
    really, you know how fan "factions", uh, sites promote polls to tip the balance in their favor...

How many times has TFN posted a link to a poll so that SW will win... is that fair and honest if the Spider-Man sites don't know about them, but TFN does, so they send their masses to vote for AOTC or TPM...

Why do you think people aren't allowed to vote for President over the internet?
    Whenever I vote in a internet poll, I usually go for what WON'T win, it's the internet, it doesn't really matter!
    Poeple use them for entertainment, not life or death decisions....

Really! I think you guys put too much faith into those polls... what is this? The Clinton administration? ;)

I'm sure someone can find a few polls where SW didn't get the majority... it's not gonna end this pointless argument.

13. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Punisher, although I'm sure the Spider-man/LOTR/Matrix/whatever sites post about the polls too. Basically, internet movie polls only serve to show which fanbase has more time on its hands.
  14. hanshootsfirst Jedi Knight

star 2
    Entertainment Weekly exit poll from audiences gave AOTC an A-.

Fandango.com's poll of favorite summer movie gave AOTC 41%, Signs 23% and Spiderman 18%.

Unfortunately, that poll isn't on the site anymore, so you'll have to take my word for it.
  15. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Cinemascore.com gives AOTC and average rating of an A-. People under 21 gave it a full A.

Around May 16th AOL was running a poll about AOTC and how members liked it. Does anybody that has AOL remember the results?
  16. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I doubt the validity of Internet polls...

You'd probably sing a different tune if the polls supported your opinion.
  17. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The polls may be a bit skewed, the "factions" do alter the outcome a bit.

That aside, that doesn't take away from the fact that far more people who saw AOTC enjoyed it at least to some degree than some detractors may lead us to believe.
  18. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    The detractors seem to try and discredit the evidence that indicates AOTC was well liked by most people, instead of posting evidence that supports their position. Perhaps that's because there is no evidence to support their position?
  19. yoda900 Jedi Master

star 3
    I conducted my own poll of sorts. I asked as many people as I could that saw the movie what they thought of it.
    more then 90% of them loved it, only a coule people had slight problems with it, noone disliked it. I talked to proably 100 or more , but I did not ask about who was a Star Wars fan or not, just people of all types, people from work, freinds, people in line, whatever.

20. AL Chosen One

star 5

I conducted my own poll of sorts. I asked as many people as I could that saw the movie what they thought of it.
    more then 90% of them loved it, only a coule people had slight problems with it, noone disliked it. I talked to proably 100 or more , but I did not ask about who was a Star Wars fan or not, just people of all types, people from work, freinds, people in line, whatever.

Move away Gallup. Step back into the sahdows Mori 'cos there's a new kid in town!
  21. Son_of_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight

star 1
    All internet polls are unreliable. The best is probably the one over at IMDB, Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com.)
    You have to be registered, and an avid voter, otherwise your vote will not count. That makes it difficult to manipulate the vote.
    Here?s how the Star Wars movies have fared so far:

Star Wars 8.8/10 (84,048 votes)
    Empire Strikes Back 8.7/10 (64,905 votes)
    Return of the Jedi 8.1/10 (49,502 votes)
    Phantom Menace 6.8/10 (50,457 votes)
    Attack of the Clones 7.7/10 (30,907 votes)

For comparison, here?s how other blockbusters have fared:

LOTR 8.9/10 (71,232 votes)
    Spider-Man 7.9/10 (25,034 votes)
    Harry Potter 7.4/10 (22,527 votes)
    Matrix 8.5/10 (75,702 votes)

I think these figures quite accurately reflect how people in general feel about these movies. If anything, the numbers may be a little too high (considering that male sci-fi and fantasy fans are overrepresented on movie sites). But the interesting thing is how the movies fare compared to each other.

Some conclusions:

* It?s obvious that the OT is more popular than the PT so far.
    * The Phantom Menace is quite clearly the least prefered Star Wars movie.
    * AOTC is not very far behind ROTJ. However the general trend on IMDB is that the rating average for movies with a big fan-base tend to go down as time passes (and more ordinary people vote). I would guess that AOTC will end up at about 7,5. That puts it comfortably ahead of Phantom Menace, but not anywhere near any of the OT.
    * The interest in Star Wars has diminished. It is striking that less than 31 000 people have voted for AOTC. Of course people still vote, but AOTC will still be hard pressed to reach 40 000 votes. That means AOTC will receive about 10 000 votes less than the Phantom Menace.
    * Spider-Man gets a slightly better rating than AOTC.
    * Star Wars is not the hottest franchise anymore. LOTR and Matrix are most popular. Not only do they score a great average (8,9 and 8,5), they also have a huge following with over 70 000 votes each, or more than two times that of AOTC.
  22. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Son_Of_Jar_Jar; you produced hard evidence, that's no good here.
  23. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Son_Of_Jar_Jar, that's an aweful lot of conclusions extrapolated from the slimmest of information. First you start off saying that internet polls are inaccurate then you base an entire argument on one internet poll that's not even open to the general public!

So either internet polls are inaccurate or they're accurate enough to draw some pretty specific conclusions from. If the former then even your argument hardly presents the "hard evidence" being applauded by yodaschum. If the latter then you need to take into account all polls, many of which show Star Wars with a commanding lead over the competition.

(And, no, I don't buy the argument that asking people to register to vote some how makes the poll more accurate. If anything, it reduces the sample size making the results even less accurate.)
  24. AL Chosen One

star 5

The IMDB polls, like all other internet polls, are total and utter shambles.
  25. Darth Euro Jedi Master

star 4
    "(And, no, I don't buy the argument that asking people to register to vote some how makes the poll more accurate. If anything, it reduces the sample size making the results even less accurate.) "

Of course it makes it more reliable. The greatest problem with internat polls is the "cheating" or multiple voting. If that can be avoided, the accuracy of the result is improved.

Any statistician worth their salt knows that a smaller, but better distributed sample is superior to to a slightly larger but poorly distributed one. Sample size is not the only factor. (One example would be polling 1000 SW fans vs. 500 people on the street, the latter would clearly be a better poll about the general liking of AOTC)

You can also add the fact that IMDB uses a proprietary algorithm that filters the votes to improve the accuracy. The details are secret, to make faking the poll harder, but I'd guess it involves looking at how many other movies you have voted for. For example, if I join IMDB and only vote for AOTC as a 9, that value judgement means very little without comparing your votes on other movies. See IMDB's explanation here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.