Public Opinion of AOTC

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Lord_Hydronium, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm not sure how well I understood that paragraph, Only_2, but I did understand one of the most popular apologies for the PT:

"It's not so much that the PT didn't suck, it's that the OT sucked just as much."

That's wrong. With the exception of a few minor clunkers, the dialogue of ANH and ESB is much "tighter", to use Durwood's word, than anything in ROTJ, TPM and AOTC. In most places, however, ROTJ's dialogue is also demonstrably better than the PT dialogue.
  2. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for letting us all know that the PT dialogue is bad, Jabba. It's great that a movie intellect, such as yourself, is able to spend so much of his time on this message board and share with some of us "lesser" moviegoers some of your infinite wisdom about the how-to's and how-not's of making movies.

Edit: Jabba, I would think someone with as much film-making knowledge as you claim to have would actually have made a film.
  3. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    The dialouge is the same in OT as it is in PT. It was just a corny. It was not Shakepeare. Make it as if it was the Holy bible or something. PT dialouge is the same as OT. George has this saga written out so I think the dialouge fits the saga.
  4. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why don't you make a movie for us Jabbadabbado, with a elegant script, interesting characters and issues that would make Lucas blush? I dare you. [face_plain]
  5. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I double dog dare him
  7. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    swfan you say your argument that the films are designed to be modern day "silent movies" is beyond me.

with that superior attitude perhaps you are the one who needs to start making movies to validate your opinions.
  8. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually Evazan (I refuse to address you as Dr. anymore), it was George Lucas who said that the SW movies were designed as modern day "silent movies." But I'm flattered that you would think I would have made the comparison all by myself. Cool!
  9. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    I just watched Pulp Fiction this morning all you double dog dare folk.

Now there is some great dialogue!
  10. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Jabba, I would think someone with as much film-making knowledge as you claim to have would actually have made a film."

Not interested, thanks. I would however be happy to edit the dialogue of Episode 3. I will do it for free and will make it much much better than anything Hales seems able to do.
  11. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm not sure how well I understood that paragraph, Only_2, but I did understand one of the most popular apologies for the PT:

"It's not so much that the PT didn't suck, it's that the OT sucked just as much."

Ahh, English is a difficult language to understand, I know.

I wasn't apologizing to you or anyone. I enjoyed them all even if the dialog in ALL of them is a bit clunky and hokey. When I say that the dialog is the same in all the movies, I am not saying they all sucked. You said they sucked, not me, don't put words in my mouth. I said they are all on the same level of clunky-ness(is that a word?). I happen to like that clunky-ness, it's one of the things I have found endearing about Star Wars since I was a little kid. I may need to use the idea that they all sucked so that you might understand better since you seem to want to take the negative approach to it all.

I see no reason to apologize for the PT, it only hurts those who choose to hurt themselves. Nobody told you to get pissed and go argue with people here because you didn't like AOTC, you did that all by yourself.

12. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not interested, thanks. I would however be happy to edit the dialogue of Episode 3. I will do it for free and will make it much much better than anything Hales seems able to do.

So someone with as much film-making prowess as yourself would rather critisize other people's work than to create any of your own. Interesting...
  13. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Not interested, thanks."

You can't make your own unique story? Shame. So instead you have to take his work and "re-make" it to your "image". There's a work for you and your type, but I won't post it here. [face_plain]
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No. I'm a translator and an editor, and to a lesser extent a writer. I could make George's work better. How Hales improved the script of AOTC has to be one of the more interesting mysteries of our time. George's original draft must have been truly, deeply horrible if what Hales did to it can be considered an improvement.

Keep in mind that I haven't criticized the creativity of GL's story for AOTC. That's another matter.
  15. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Jabbadabbado seems to be able to pick out the badly written dialogue of the prequels, yet he can't see it in the classic trilogy.

It's not that I don't care about the dialogue, I just want it to blend with the classic trilogy.
  16. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    George's original draft must have been truly, deeply horrible

So you use snippets of GL's "horrible" writing in your own?
  17. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Jabbadabbadoo

Armchair critic.
    (or is it deskchair at work?)

Either way I'd be willing to bet someone who's TFN forum username is derived from the Flintstones wouldn't be much better at dialog editing for Episode 3 than anyone else here, and that's not saying much.

Would you have Vader and Palpy argue over calling the Death Star the "Barney Copter" or the "Flintstone Flyer"?

I wouldn't want to try to edit it myself either. I'd much rather enjoy it, writing or editing isn't my bag, man.
  18. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Just to end the irrelevant part of this discussion, let me concede that I could never in a million years come up with a storyline as creative as AOTC. And I'm sure that if I directed a big budget film it would stink beyond comprehension. I'm glad to finally get that off my chest.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that any halfway competent editor could have made AOTC's dialogue better. What was Hales doing? Was he really involved with the project at all? It's hard to believe that he, or anyone, could be as bad a writer as Lucas.
  19. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I didn't notice a problem with the dialogue, perhaps if you cited an example.
  20. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I thought I already did that. I'd like someone to post the dialogue from the fireside chat scene. I don't have it memorized, but I think that would be the place to go next.
  21. Jesse_James Jedi Knight

star 1
    Fireplace love scene (approx)

"put more wood on the fire"
    "okay"
    "dinners nearly ready- do you want spuds tonite again?"
    "aye"
    "its cold outside tonite- looks like rain"
    "guess"
    "anything interesting in that paper?"
    "shut up"
    "dont dare speak to me like that"
    "sorry... and by the way... I love you"
    "thats nice. dinners ready"
  22. darthtj Jedi Master

star 2
    When has the dialogue ever been great in star wars? People need to stop overanaylzing it. Romance scenes are suppose to be "corny" imo, especially when it involves two inexperinced young people. It worked for me , and I am not a teenage girl. I enjoyed them a lot more than Hans solo and Leia in rotj, now that was tedious and pointless.
  23. RogueTrader Jedi Master

star 4
  24. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    more "star wars has always been crummy" please.

it warms my heart to think some of you are fans of something you think is so bad.

there are vast differences between the dialogue of the OT and the dialogue of the PT. i guess some of you just "dont get it".
  25. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    George Lucas made the movie, and no amount of whining from certain individuals from this forum will change what has been done. Accept it. You cannot change the script now. Move along and make your own story.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.