main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Publishing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by PadawanNick, Aug 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Hi. I normally post in the Fan Film and 3D forums, but a friend of mine had a question that I thought this would be the best group to find some answers for her.

She's writing her own Star Wars novel based partially on the story frame of the fan film we're working on. (It's time-line fits in about 800 years prior the movies.) It started out as just fun, but now it seems to be really developing.

Anyway, the question is...
    Has anyone heard of a Fan Fiction being published?
    Is there a SW licensed publisher that is open to submissions or does anyone know how to go about licensing the permission to legally write within the Star Wars Universe?
    Is that is even possible?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions, but I'm just making a fan film so I've never really thought about any of this stuff before.
    I'll e-mail a link to this thread to my friend show she can see your thoughts.

Thanks.

Have fun.

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    one word: NO

it's a "don't call us, we'll call you" sort of thing. They contact you if they want you to write a book for them.

Your friend can post it here and on the 'net, along with the proper disclaimers and all.

Fan Fictions have been published in fanzines, which make no money, the cost covers printing and other expenses.

But I would not suggest your friend send her manuscript to lucasfilm asking for permission to publish it.

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Defnitely not. I've been in contact with both Del Rey and Scholastic -- just asking for guidelines! -- and they are very closed to contact. (This is not true of every licensed film or tv show; you can contact the editor of a given series to find out, but ask for the guidelines before sending anything!)

This is probably because the SW people would be swamped if they were as open as some others. Also, there's the legal concern... they could be working on a similar idea independently and if they don't send back manuscripts unopened, they open themselves up to some real annoyances, so it's advantageous for them on all levels to keep the gates locked and all the back doors secured.

I wish SW were more open to new writers (Quantum Leap was very open to fan writers when the novel program was going, and so are a few others), but unfortunately, it's not.

Has anyone had any contact with the comics publishers?

4. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Once upon a time ...

There was something called "The Star Wars Adventure Journal" which took fiction from fans who had never published anything before. Yours truly knows two of the lucky authors who got a break here.

Then the Evil Sith Lords stepped in and decreed that only previously published authors be allowed to submit anything.

Alas, West End Games went out of business and the journal disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Somebody on the west coast got the franchise and restarted the publication, under a different name, I believe.

But the Snob Rule remains: If you aren't a (raise your nose in the air and give a big sniff) *published professional,* they don't want to see your work.

(expletives deleted)

If this sort of attitude were prevalent 20 years ago, we wouldn't have Ann Crispin or any of her books.

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Hmm, that is quite sad.

I've read a lot of internet fan fiction which is head and shoulders above anything some of the EU authors have pumped out - purely for simply things like staying true to the characters and the spirit of the movies.

6. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    Okay guys and gals, lay off a little, it was a simple question. :)

7. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    But the Snob Rule remains: If you aren't a (raise your nose in the air and give a big sniff) *published professional,* they don't want to see your work

It's worse... I do have publishing credits under my belt (okay, just one), and I still couldn't get the time of day.

Their point of view is that published authors sell; my POV as a librarian is that with series, people mostly look for the series title and don't give a rip about the author. It should be a great place for new writers to get their feet wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.