main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

publishing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Angel_of_Sith, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    i was brwsing through the pages, and i read a mesage about publishing on the net. it said that publishers won't publish something that's been published on the web.

what exactly counts as publishing on the net?

i was hoping to get my fanfic novel published as the start to my career as a novelist, and i was hoping to post it on here first.

if it can't be posted because it would count as publishing on the web, does anyone want to beta read it?

one more thing: when should i approach publishers with it?

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Firstly, fanfiction is hard to get published because it has to go through the company and be checked for errors and most of the time they don't like it if it doesn't strictly adhere to the rules (although this is not completely true).

If you want to get something published then you shouldn't put out more then 10% on the net. More then this and most publishers will get dubious about it. (I got this information off the Sara Douglas' (a kickass australian writer) homepage where she discussed this.

I don't mean to put a dampenar on your ideas or dreams. I had similar thoughts about a year ago and when I found out stuff like the above I decided that maybe I should start to write my own novel *grin*

Kit

3. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    i'm going to have to finish my novel first, then i can see how much is 10% and then post it.

i'm also writing a fantasy trilogy as well, though this has been put on hold till after my exams are over, and i can think of what to write next.

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    You're not going to sell fanfiction, end of story, so you may as well post it on the net (which is as published as it gets). All the professional books are commissioned -- you're welcome to send them a letter saying that you're around, but if you mention an idea in it, they'll return it to you. Basically, on media tie-ins, the idea is "Don't call us, we'll call you." And in SW, they have very definite ideas, and the books are contracted for several years.

For your original story, don't post it on the open web. That's publishing it, by the definition of the people who buy things. You can sell first rights, first serial rights, things like that, but once it's been published (which includes posting it online in an open forum), all the rights are secondary rights -- reprints -- and pro publishers are interested in first rights. unless you're very well established. (In the case of media tie-ins, they're interested in all rights -- even if your real name is R.A. Salvatore, LFL owns everything you do in the SW universe.)

If you want feedback, try www.critters.org -- it's password protected, so pieces workshopped there are not considered published any more than they would be if you photocopied them for your local writers' group.

5. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    An Addendum to JG's information: Star Wars Gamer Magazine, published by Wizards of the Coast in association with Lucasarts, has on their website submission guidelines for Star Wars fiction. The bottom line is that Lucasarts will not consider any story idea, regardless of quality, from an ?unpublished? author. Any idea submitted from an unpublished author would be returned unviewed. With your submission, they require a bibliography of the author?s published work.

It is my understanding that this policy exists throughout all of the LFL departments, including the newest, Lucasbooks.

6. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Oh, yeah. Heck, I am a published author, and they return things to me unread.

7. Erin_Hart

Erin_Hart Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    i haven't tried for publishing through LucasArts but I have had some of my work in print in Fanzines. I figure it's the closest I'll get until I get original work published (if that ever happens) Not the same as getting a paycheck but I have actually had people tell me they read my stuff in the 'zine and enjoyed it. So there was some sort of gratification from the process. Every lil bit helps my ego! :D

8. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    What sort of stories did you publish in the Ezines? SW fanfics?

9. Erin_Hart

Erin_Hart Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    I've gotten three Star Wars stories published in two Zines (same title, different editions). Usually some silly humor piece. I have a couple of in progess SW novels published on the web since they're much too long for a 'zine (since I work on them randomly instead of straight through it'd take years to finish them for publishing. LOL) and I like the reviews too much not to post online once in awhile.

10. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    I know the feeling... er... at least, I know I'd appreciate the feedback. ;)

It sounds like a lot of fun.

11. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    How would I go about getting an original story published? Send the publishing company my work?

Also, what publishing company/companies would you suggest?

12. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Many of the large companies (Magazines and books, alike) won't look at unsolicited material, but there are some who take submissions. Writer's Digest books publishes some great (and huge!) reference books for aspiring authors, artists, etc. The one you may want to look into is 2002 Writer's Market. You can also obtain older versions (they're published every year), although some of the data may be out-dated. Also, 2002 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market may be of help. All of their books have a wealth of helpful tips and professional proceedures to help you get published. they even have an Illustrator's Market (I use that one ;)).

JG and some of the other writers may have even more ideas for you.

13. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    The Writer's Market Guide is the best major source. It lists the markets, what they pay, who the contact person is, and whether or not they accept unagented material.

If you're talking about a short story, then pick up some magazines that have that kind of story you're writing in them. Get a feel for the editorial biases, and choose the magazines that publish the stories you like best, and which you feel yours would fit among. Then check the masthead and see who the editors are. Or, better, look it up in Writer's Market.

Some magazines have their submission guidelines online; that's always worth a try.

If you've got a novel, finish the manuscript -- they're not going to want to buy on spec from a new writer. Then look up information in WM, see who handles what genre (or, again, check the publishers on books you like in the genre, then look them up in WM, or in the Literary Marketplace -- either should be available at your local public library, reference section for the current year). Find out what their requirements are, and send them.

14. Harp

Harp Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2002
    Just a heads up in case you were unaware; Star Wars Gamer has currently suspended publication after issue 10 (the current issue) and it is unknown if it will come back. This is horrible news as it is the only mag that provides Star Wars short fiction. I'm trying to rally a group of people together to start a letter (& email) campaign to keep the mag alive.

15. BIL_KIT_JINN

BIL_KIT_JINN Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2000
    From what I've heard, the SW publishing cirles are very cliquey and only accept stuff from published authors. Then they are more or less told what to write. When I started Dark Republic, I had high aspirations for it, wanting to make my charcters, such a Sarolyn Lordan, official Star Wars characters, but I am now resigned to putting it on the net. At least with my own site, I am in control of the content.

Volume I of Dark Republic will be ready for uploading to my site by the end of July (hopefully earlier) and the site already has a "Volume I Databank" containing detailed information and pictures relating to the characters, locations, etc. there is also a fan-art section plus hitherto empty discussion forum.

Check out the site at www.starwars-darkrepublic.co.uk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.