main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pulling rank....a question

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by RogueSquadronFlygirl, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronFlygirl

RogueSquadronFlygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    I recently had the Rogue Squadron book series recomended to me and have already read the first two in less than a week. I do love them, but they brought up a question that has been a sort of problem in my writing as well.
    Commander Wedge Antilles is, most clearly the man in charge of Rogue Squadron. Tycho Celchu is acting as XO (Executive Officer) and has the rank of Captian. Well, if I'm not mistaken, Captain is the higher rank, but Wedge clearly has the control. Tycho doen't get to boss him around, and is subject to Wedge's orders.
    So who's really in charge?
    Rank has always caused me problems, and I want it to be acurate in my stories.

2. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    For all intents and purposes, the ranks seem to follow US military ranks - US Navy for Fleet Command and US Air Force for Starfighter Command - with one exception. The only place Commander exists in the US military is in the Navy and Coast Guard - likened to Fleet Command. The rank of Commander, strictly following US military, shouldn't even exist in Starfighter Command. But, forsome reason, it does.

In the Fleet, it holds true that Captain outranks Commander. But not so in Starfighter Command. It's made clear in the books that there are differences in the ranks between Starfighter and Fleet, and I think this is one of those instances.

There is a site here that lists out military ranks. I always, for my writing, assume Commander to be between Captain and Major.

Hope I didn't just confuse you more :)

Jes

4. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Generally, have a look at sites detailing US Army/Navy ranks for answers about rank.

[EDIT] - beaten to it and with more detail!

5. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Alright it goes like this if you don't want to follow those links.

Star Fighter Command
    Flight Officer
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Colonel
    Commander
    General

Fleet
    Ensign
    Lieutenant (I'm thinking they only have one lieutenant)
    Lieutenant Commander
    Captain
    Admiral

I know I misspelled Lieutenant, I'm used to abbreviating it LT. So yeah. Oh and I think that a SFC General can take charge of a Fleet group, like Luke does at Bakura.

Oh and Commander in SFC is like Captain in the Navy, if you're in charge of a squadron no matter your rank, you're called Commander, just like in the Navy if you're in charge of a ship you're called Captain even if you're only an LT.

6. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Star Fighter Command
    Flight Officer
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Colonel
    Commander
    General

Where do you get that Commander is a higher rank than Colonel? Wedge went from Captain sometime in the OT to being Commander... doesn't make sense he'd have skipped three ranks that early on. Make more sense he'd have skipped more ranks later on, after refusing promotion so many times.

Fleet
    Ensign
    Lieutenant (I'm thinking they only have one lieutenant)
    Lieutenant Commander
    Captain
    Admiral

That's how I see it, except that you left out Commander between Lt. Commander and Captain ... unless they aren't used in FC?

Oh and Commander in SFC is like Captain in the Navy, if you're in charge of a squadron no matter your rank, you're called Commander, just like in the Navy if you're in charge of a ship you're called Captain even if you're only an LT.

I don't think so... Since you have Gavin, a Colonel I believe, in charge of a squadron in NJO.

7. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    Woah, I knew I left something out. And you'd think I'd remember that one as the only officer I have regular contact with is a Commander. :p

No, I think that's where it is, because Wedge turns down a promotion to General three times. When he's a Commander. I doubt they'd let him skip ranks like that. And they refer to Gavin as Commander a couple times I think, so I really think it's interchangable. Maybe there isn't an official rank like that, it's just a hold-over from the Rebellion when they had to interchange fleet and SFC officers.

8. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I doubt they'd let him skip ranks like that.

But they would have in the Rebellion? :confused:

*shrug* Probably no official word on it, anyway...

9. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    RogueSquadronFlygirl- Because people have already answered the issue of the rank structure, I would like to answer this portion of your post: Commander Wedge Antilles is, most clearly the man in charge of Rogue Squadron. Tycho Celchu is acting as XO (Executive Officer) and has the rank of Captian. Well, if I'm not mistaken, Captain is the higher rank, but Wedge clearly has the control. Tycho doen't get to boss him around, and is subject to Wedge's orders.
    So who's really in charge?

At the time, Tycho was considered a possible spy for the Empire and therefore not trusted. Wedge had made an arguement that Tycho stay with him, thus allowing his friend to still participate. So in this case, Tycho had to follow Wedge's orders.

However, I could have sworn that later in the X-wing series, a Major was promoted to Captain in order to command a small ship. :confused:

LJS @};-

10. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    No, that was a Lieutenant. It was for the ship the Wraith's commandeered. When they were in a fight or something the Captain got killed so his 2IC had to take over and she was a lieutenant.

Oh and a CO is a Commanding Officer and an XO is an Executive Officer. So no matter what even if the CO's a Lieutenant and the XO's a Colonel, the CO's going to be able to order the XO around.

11. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    I could have sworn she was a Major- Wedge had a whole discussion about why he couldn't have her as his XO (something along the lines of "flying comes to her naturally. She'll get frustrated when she can't teach it to the pilots"). And when the captain got killed, she'd been on board and taken command...

Or maybe I'm just making this up :p :confused:

LJS @};-

12. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    Oh, you're thinking of the one that later became the Rogue XO. Yeah, she was a Major, and Wedge wanted her to be his XO, but since he was remaking the Rogues, he said he needed an XO that could teach pilots to fly. And no you're making the ship thing up. :p

13. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    Probably combined two characters in my mind and came out with one :p

Thanks for clarifying :)

LJS @};-

14. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Given that SFC squadrons are relatively akin to Army companies (though considerably smaller), I think it makes more sense for the Commander rank fall between Captain and Major. "Commander" might actually be one of those job-titles that float like Captain does in from time to time. A squadron CO may have another rank, but they're called "Commander" while in charge of a squadron.

That would put the SFC ranks something like:

2nd Lieutenant (or maybe Lt. JG, can't remember) - pilot
    1st Lieutenant - flight leader or squadron XO
    Captain - squadron XO or CO (Commander)
    Major - sqaudron CO (Commander) or wing leader
    Lt. Colonel - wing leader or SFC
    Colonel - SFC
    General

GFFA ranks are really wacky, though... and some folks seem to switch branches of the military for no apparent reason. Only the Army seems to be stable... everybody else is at the mercy of the author. Unless your name is Solo, then your rank is simply tied to the level of insanity expected of you.

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Aren't captains in terms of Star Destroyers etc. the higher rank, but in smaller units, lower? Because Captain Needa, Captain Piett...anyway...

16. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    At the time, Tycho was considered a possible spy for the Empire and therefore not trusted. Wedge had made an arguement that Tycho stay with him, thus allowing his friend to still participate. So in this case, Tycho had to follow Wedge's orders.

Tycho wouldn't have been in charge of Wedge anyway; Wedge has always outranked him.

Unless your name is Solo, then your rank is simply tied to the level of insanity expected of you.

[face_laugh] Interesting perspective... :p

17. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    Nah, squadrons are closer to Army platoons. The problem though, is that all pilots are officers, or Flight officers, so you have to remember that the CO is going to be higher up. I think normally it's a Colonel or Lieutenant Colonel in charge of a squadron, a flight leader's liable to be a Major or a Captain. And then down from there.

Now in the GFFA it's pretty much the same way.

18. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Aren't captains in terms of Star Destroyers etc. the higher rank, but in smaller units, lower? Because Captain Needa, Captain Piett...anyway...

Yeah, naval captains are higher ranking than captains in other services.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Do we ever see a Lt. Colonel in SFC? It would make a lot of sense if Commander (which is actualy short for Wing Commander in TTT) replaced the Lt. Colonel spot. If it was there, Wedge would outrank both Aril Numb (who was a Captain in Wedge's Gamble) as well as any Majors. He would also only be skipping 1 rank to hit General.

20. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Jaina is a Lt. Colonel at the end of the NJO, IIRC.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Right. Hmm. NRFC seems to have changed the rank system somewhere. It looks like they settled on ground ranks, rather than naval or air :(

22. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    Personally I go by the rank structure set up by the X-wing books. And their authors. And that is it goes...

Flight Officer(British origins I believe)
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Commander
    General

I just realized we never hear about a Colonel. So I'm thinking Commander was used instead of Colonel, or it just got screwed up somewhere between the NJO and the rebellion.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Colonel Tycho Celchu (I, Jedi)
    Colonel Gavin Darklighter (Dark Tide)
    Colonel Corran Horn (Dark Tide)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.