main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Punk RAWK... Noise ROCK!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by GrandAdmiralPelleaon, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Anyone else listen to these genre's?

I'm listening to Arab on the Radar right now. "Vatican Is Up To Bat Again", you should check it out, however, I hope you can stand alittle noise cuz, that's what it is, Experimental/Indie/Noise RAWK.

If you want more noise ROCK

The Locust
    Sonic Youth
    Pussy Galore
    And the obvious fathers of Noise and Punk: The Velvet Underground

As for Punk, is it still ALIVE?

"Punk's not dead" -EXploited

True? I'm sure that there must be some new good bands out there. Right? Anyone know any?

[image=http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd100/d112/d11281rg514.jpg]

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    hey GAP!

i don't know about any good punk rock these days.. but, back in my day.. oh man, you could hardly keep up..

Black Flag, Circle Jerks, DRI, Agent Orange, GBH, Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, The Germs, Butthole Surfers, The Sex Pistols, Fear, TSOL, The Clash, The Ramones, Exploited, SNFU, The Vandals... this list could get to extensive ;)

i consider The Stooges and the New York Dolls to be pretty instrumental in the birth of punk rock..

3. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Yeah, I wish the international scene was still like that...

MTV ruined the definition of punk by placing the label on crap bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41.

How on earth could the definition of Punk go from The Sex Pistols to Blink 182?

Now playing Black Flag - Damaged I

(ok scrap that, Black Flag ended, now it's Pussy Galore - Solo=Sex)

4. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Well I don't see anything good in punk rock from any decade. Punk rock is just noise with no depth. Punk rock ruined many great groups in the end of 70's. And that is something I don't like. I think I stick with better music.

5. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

i am not too sure at all. other than the fact that if MTV sees an audience in any genre they will, no doubt, start plugging wannabes, ripoffs, insta-music pop stars, and basically recreate, thus redefining, a genre... the thought makes my stomach turn...

they really do seem to cater to the lowest common denominator.. such a freakin' shame.
    and honestly, i didn't always hate MTV

Blink182 and crap like that stands in contradication of what punk rock was... i'd bet any amount of money that those dudes bathe every other day, if not daily - and, no i am not being facetious.. my point is, punk rock wasn't supposed to be pretty, radio-friendly music... barf

6. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    >>Well I don't see anything good in punk rock from any decade. Punk rock is just noise with no depth. Punk rock ruined many great groups in the end of 70's. And that is something I don't like. I think I stick with better music. <<

They did not "ruin" any bands. Yes, they did end Prog. Rock's glory period, but that was because Prog. Rock had all but died out by then, the Mainstream audience does not have the patience to sit through 20 minute songs. (a shame really.)

Punk Rock does have dept, but it relies heavily on lyrics, real punk has a message. As for noise ... they do not have the musical brilliance of Yes or King Crimson but that's not what Punk was about. Punk was a countermovement to Prog.

7. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    "Punk was a countermovement to Prog."

And that's why I don't like punk.

8. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    >>my point is, punk rock wasn't supposed to be pretty, radio-friendly music... barf <<

So true, Punk started as an anti-movement to the popular radio music.

Best song to illustrate how Punk is anti radio to me is: "NOFX - Please Play This Song on The Radio".

Tod, do you hate Punk because it killed of Prog. or do you hate it because you don't find the music appealing?

9. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Ummagumma, The Greatest Probe Droid Ever Activated, says Rancid Posie was the coolest punk band ever.

10. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    I cast my vote for Bad Religion.

11. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I've never heard of "Rancid Posie", (any chance you ment "Rancid"?)

12. Ummagumma

May 3, 2002
    Ummagumma, The Greatest Probe Droid Ever Activated, meant Rancid Posie.
    They were from the Reading, PA area back in the early 90s.

13. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    aw, yeah.. Bad Religion is great!

i happen to love both prog rock and punk rock (come to think of it, i like, at least, a little of something from almost every genre of music except for boy bands and the britney/christina types of music)

punk rock was a response to prog rock - it was addressing the social-political issues of the time...

prog rock wasn't writing songs about the filth in the street (there was a garbage strike in Britain at the time), or the unemployment problems, they were taking fantastic journeys to other worlds - punk rock addressed this world, it's problems, hypocrisies.. and yes, it spat in the face of prog rock because prog rock seemed like music for intellectuals.. and when you feel like dirt and don't have enough money to buy food, those other-worldly intellectuals looked like a pretty good target to let loose the angst on...

i love the progression of music.. and if you think about it, modern prog music was definitely influenced by punk rock...

14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I also love prog. as you should have noticed because I posted in both the JCC prog thread and the new thread. :p

Well yes, that and the fact that rock was beginning the get commercial, groups were making 2 hour albums consisting of 4 songs and then suddenly you had bands like the Ramones who stripped down rock & roll to the essentials. playing sets that consisted of 20 songs in 20 minutes. British Punk was what Kerr described.

15. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

yes ;)

sorry i didn't clarify that... i had more thoughts in my head about what i was talking about than i was able to type out..

i was thinking of British prog rock bands (YES and Pink Floyd in particular) who were made fun of, my punk, for being "longwinded" and "unrealistic"...

16. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Tod, do you hate Punk because it killed of Prog. or do you hate it because you don't find the music appealing?

Both reasons.

17. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I just finished listening to Sonic Youth's "Dirty". What a great album.

Oh and I don't know if they'd be considered Punk (I think they are) but Elvis Costello and Television are awesome. I burned a hole in "Marquee Moon".

18. Ummagumma

May 3, 2002
    [image=http://collegian.ksu.edu/graphics/logos/i.gif]

19. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I'm a huge fan of punk music. For some reason in the UK punk is often associated with extremist right wing views, yet all the best bands, IMO, were political radicals with left wing leanings. The Clash are the best example, though I also love Stiff Little Fingers, Alternative Ulster and Wasted Lives are two of the best anthemic rock songs of all time.
    The split between punk and prog is false, since you can like both,personally I've a soft spot for Marillion, and certain bands like The Stranglers have a foot in both camps. Punks can relate to Duchess, No more heroes and Go, buddy go and prog fans can surely relate to sverige, waltzinblack,etc.
    My favourite US punk band are The Ramones, I've been a convert ever since I bought Brain Drain, any band that can combine a great rock song with a Stephen King novel deserve greatness, RIP Joey and Dee Dee.
    Although not strictly punk, I'd recommend giving The Jesus and Mary chain a listen, a weird combination of Beach boys melodies, fuzzy guitars, melancholia, and The Velvet Underground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.