main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Practical or CGI?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediJurist, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJurist

JediJurist Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Hello all:
    I was wondering if there has been any news or rumors about whether the ST will go back to the OT roots of using live action puppets and costumed characters instead of CGI characters.

I realize we're in for a healthy dose of CGI and that it's improved even since the PT, but I really hope we get actual costumed characters and puppets in the ST, at least some of the time.

Having recently watched the OT with my two young boys, I realized how much they really enjoyed the costume and puppet aliens. That was a big part of the magic of Star Wars when it first came out and it's amazing how well those characters have held up over time. I actually prefer them to their CGI counterparts. They interact better with the live actors and give some realism to the scenes.

CGI characters, even though they can be impressive at times, still feel like cartoons to me. I much preferred OT Artoo and Chewbacca over CGI PT Artoo and Chewbacca. To me, the puppets and costumed characters made the OT worlds that we visited a more realistic feel.

Hernalt likes this.
  2. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    please cgi.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
  5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    CGI please.

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Artoo and Chewbacca weren't CGI in the PT... in fact they were the exact same actors (Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew) in costumes

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    If it weren't for the fact that we know Andy Serkis (aka the King of CGI) was in the cast, I'd be adamantly rooting for more puppets this time around. I'm of the mind that if you can do it live, do it live. It'll generally hold up longer than if you do CGI. However, with Serkis' presence in the film... I'd be far more open to CGI now. The guy knows how to make great CGI characters that holds up long term.

However, I do want a combination of both. :)

Artoo-Dion , Echo Base and Dewback like this.
  9. JediJurist

JediJurist Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Didn't know Baker learned how to fly around in the old Artoo suit.

10. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I think that puppets work the best since it's impossible to properly mimic the way light plays off of a real object, and the effect becomes dated much earlier. However, I'd like a mixture of the two, with more practical effects.
    "Where the Wild Things" are had a great mixture. (Couldn't finish the movie, though)

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm up for both, and that's probably how it'll turn out. But yeah, I lean toward more puppetry being used. CGI will probably end up being used more though..

donk1970 likes this.
  12. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

13. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Combination of both, please.

Good practical effects trump even the best CGI, because you get the sense that it's "actually there." When you rely too much on CGI, you get crap like the non-existent Clone Troopers in the PT, which just takes you out of the experience.

Well-designed puppets with a touch of CGI to make them seem a little more lifelike is the perfect compromise.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I prefer CGI; look at the awesome stuff it can do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde, Rabs, Immortiss and 9 others like this.
  15. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Practical FX are usually superior for creatures in my opinion, for inorganic things like machines and landscapes CGI is fine but I prefer real sets and props for those as well. When movement becomes a problem then of course CGI needs to be used but I think it's always best to use practical FX whenever possible.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Awesome is subjective.

17. Ricky Olié

Ricky Olié Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    Puppets, definitely, animatronics feel a lot more real than even the most advanced CGI because they're actually there.

Not that CGI doesn't have its place, impossible alien designs are good for them, but they should never go CGI when a puppet is possible.
    Especially with the robotics of today.

18. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I really dont understand the guy who sees a big fake, dumb, cgi setpiece and says "this is awesome". I thought those guys died out in 2005.

19. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    As someone else already mentioned, the presence of Andy Serkis pretty much answers this question.

Jobertus likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Preemptive strike: So far, so good... but keep OTvsPT rubbish out of this thread forum.

21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
  22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah puppet yoda in ep 1 really worked.

23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Both/and, not either/or.

That goes for pretty much everything in Star Wars, IMHO.

Jedi Knight Fett and Jobertus like this.
  24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    They need to use whatever is most effective for the scene and shot. The PT didn't have many puppets, but it did have tons of miniatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.