main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Purpose of Ackbar's death?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TwiLekJedi, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    (I hope this isn't too redundant, but I barely know this place, so, be kind)

When asked whether he would want to write Luke Skywalker's death scene, Aaron Allston said, basically, yes, if it serves a purpose. Characters shouldn't be killed off for the sake of making the reader sad or shocked.

Maybe it was because it was only a brief mention in the heat of a battle or something, but I never quite got what Ackbar's death in The Unifying Force meant ?[face_plain] It was of old age, right? Why did Luceno feel the need to inform the guys and us that Ackbar died? Why was it in that particular scene, and not slightly earlier or after the battles? It didn't seem to crush or embolden any spirits, changing the course of one battle. It didn't even seem tragic, because it was of old age, and not a war casualty.

Help?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Probably just to cover up that little loose end, and to establish that he won't be used later. It sort of fit with the theme of death in the series, the change from old movie characters to the newer ones.

3. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Well, he was old, and had a disease. Nature happens.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Probably just to cover up that little loose end, and to establish that he won't be used later. It sort of fit with the theme of death in the series, the change from old movie characters to the newer ones.

Also a reminder that not all of our heroes have to go out like Chewbacca or Ganner in giant climactic action sequences. Some get to enjoy a long life and die of old age and pass the torch to younger generations. A different sort of hero's death that resonates differently with the other characters and the readers.

5. cthulhu-spawn

cthulhu-spawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2004
    I think it was a logical progression of events for Ackbar's character, and it also served to illustrate his relationship with people like Wedge and Tycho who were friends of his. As to placement, perhaps it was to show that people don't always die at times when their death will have an effect.

6. Dark_Assassin

Dark_Assassin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2003
    You have to die sometime in life...

7. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    i'm sure admiral nick will be here soon enough. [face_devil]

grr.... i'm just glad he's dead. [face_devil]

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Because the NJO is replete with random death serving no purpose to the plot whatsoever. We all knew it was going to happen, but I don't think anyone expected a two sentence offscreen death.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    By the time we get to the NJO Ackbar really doesn't see as much air time as he did earlier in the EU. In fact I'd be willing to say that the last time, chronologically speaking, Ackbar was heavily used in the EU was in JAT. Basically it seems that he was killed off to prevent him from falling into EU limbo.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Purpose TLJ? Purpose implies design, a plan, a meaning for our existence. Purpose implies that which the NJO does not possess. It is a story without a design or plan, without purpose or meaning.

OK, a little too Agent Smith in the phrasing but you get the point! :)

JB

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    EU limbo is really more of a state of mind, since we can travel back chronologically to earlier GFFA times or there always the cloning copout option.

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I like jawajames' explanation best.

and is an opinion about the NJO's quality (or lack thereof) really needed when asking about a death's purpose (....does the title really say "Puropse"? Damn, that sucks. Raven, Venture, anybody.... please, change that!) in a story? *shrugs*

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just because you start the thread doesn't mean you can control where it goes! ;)

JB

14. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Knight, Ackbar was heavily used in Destiny's Way, and I believe the purpose of his death was

a) To continue passing the torch, to Kre'fey, Sovv, and other younger commanders.

b) To illustrate that you can die in your sleep.

c) To illustrate that non-vital characters can die (just like Crix Madine)

d) This might sound callous, but I think they felt they needed a death in the last book, as the first and middle books (VP and SbS) both had character deaths. Nobody big was originally killed, so they went back and decided on Ackbar.

It doesn't really matter anyway, because when Lucas does VII, VIII, and IX, he is gonna have cameos from Ackbar and Chewie, and Coruscant will be perfectly rebuilt, so the whole NJO will be Infinities. ;)

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree, obvioulsy Ackbar's death came as no surprise, but to me the timing of it seemed all wrong, more so because it was a throwaway, offscreen death more than anything else. I would rather have had Ackbar get one final scene, maybe sharing some final words with Wedge or something.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Ah, but that would have involved devoting an ENTIRE SCENE to a pair of characters that weren't Jedi. IN case you haven't noticed, if they don't have the Force, they got next to no role in the NJO. :p

I was expecting more than an offscreen death for an important character like Ackbar though. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Admiral Ackbar's death was actually done quite well. The admiral served the galaxy for nearly three decades. He deserved to die peacefully in his home on Mon Calamari.

While he definately was not very active in the NJO, his plan in Destiny's Way saved the New Republic, which then became the Galactic Alliance.

His masterful strategy at Ebaq turned the tide of the war and restored morale to the NR fleet.

Rest in peace, Admiral. You earned it. :)

--Adm. Nick

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    He also died with the guilt of not planning for the Vong to actually land on Ebaq 9. Even though he really had nothing to feel quilty about, he did.

I hope he didn't die with that guilt.

Hopefully a Tales story will be made showing the last moments of Admiral Ackbar.

19. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    That would be beautiful.

And you're right, Nick, he did earn it.

20. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    but he didn't get to live to see the end of the war? =(

21. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "obvioulsy Ackbar's death came as no surprise, but to me the timing of it seemed all wrong, more so because it was a throwaway, offscreen death more than anything else. I would rather have had Ackbar get one final scene, maybe sharing some final words with Wedge or something."

Exactly.

"Ah, but that would have involved devoting an ENTIRE SCENE to a pair of characters that weren't Jedi. IN case you haven't noticed, if they don't have the Force, they got next to no role in the NJO."

The Daughter of Yub Yub should know better ;)
    (I did see the face_silly)

"Admiral Ackbar's death was actually done quite well. The admiral served the galaxy for nearly three decades. He deserved to die peacefully in his home on Mon Calamari."

Yes, the circumstances of his death are appropriate and deserved by Ackbar, but the way it was presented feels wrong.

My question was about the writing/reading point-of-view, not the story POV. It wouldn't be different for me if the line had said "Oh, by the way, Ackbar's jetpack malfuntioned and he fell into a giant waterslug. Speaking of slugs, shoot that Vong cruiser over there and....". ;)

I don't even have a problem with the fact that it's an "offscreen"-death, it just should have had a few more lines.

(wow, I think this is the only thing about the NJO that really bothers me :eek:)

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I guess Ackbar was supposed to be the FDR character. Since both never saw the end of their era wars.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    While Ackbar did not get to see the war with the Vong end, I have no doubt in my mind that he was confident of the galaxies victory.

Many of the officers that helped win the war served under Ackbar, and he trained them well.

I thought it was great how Jim Luceno mentioned that the Galactic Alliance held a grand military memorial for Ackbar after the recapture of Coruscant. It sounds like it was a fitting tribute to the admiral.

BTW, a recent RPG book said that the Mon Cal name "Ackbar" means selfless servent.

It is fitting, and 100% true. :)

(Lifts glass)

To Admiral Ackbar!!!

--Adm. Nick

24. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    I would rather have had Ackbar get one final scene, maybe sharing some final words with Wedge or something.

Here's the scene that got cut out. I found it just for you...

Inside Ackbar's aquatic hut, the admiral wheezed and beckoned Wedge to move closer to his bed.
    Ackbar: Wedge... Wedge...Do not...Do not underestimate
    the powers of the Vong, or suffer Anakin Solo's fate, you will. Wedge, when gone am I *cough*), the last of the non-main characters from the movie will you be.
    Wedge, the background-character essence runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Wedge... (with great effort) There is...

another...back... backgrounder.

Ackbar closes his eyes and vanishes, leaving Wedge full of wonder.

Wedge wanders back to where his ship is sitting. Gate beeps a greeting, but is ignored by his depressed master. Wedge kneels down, begins to help Gate with the ship, then stops and shakes his head dejectedly.

Wedge: I can't do it, Gate. I can't go on alone.

Crix Madine's voice from nowhere: Ackbar will always be with you.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    OMG. LOL. :D :D :D

I love it.

Oh, and even though Ackbar did not get to see the Vong war end, he was with the fleet in spirit. :)

--Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.