main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Purpose of life?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Cruzer_Fett, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruzer_Fett

Cruzer_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    Purpose of life?

2. The-Bald-Wookiee

The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Feet! No, wait... what was the question?

:D(Really knows the answer, but isn't telling).

3. Yodaa

Yodaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    Live Large, Have fun, Stay out of trouble or cause all the trouble. Take your pick.

Humm... this could be fun...

1) If your a ??? (Want's large government and expect government to pay for
    everything, while giving away your rights thus being controlled)

2) If your a ??? (Want's smaller government and expects little from the
    government while working for what you have/want)

3) If your an ??? (Get what you can, work for the rest)

Can you fill in the < ??? >. :p

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Purpose of life?

THE ABOLISHMENT OF LIVER AND ONIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No?

To leave the universe, upon your departure, a little bit better than you found it.

5. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    I've got nothing against onions... but I'm there with you on liver, eeaauuuggghh! No me gusto.

6. Cruzer_Fett

Aug 31, 2005
    Not even chicken liver fried? Ummm

7. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    mmm... liverwurst! and provolone!

with mustard...

*rumbling tummy*

8. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    Very sorry, but Liver = Eww!

Unless it's still all hooked up and doing what it's supposed to be doing, then it's alright.

P.S. The answer is Happiness.

9. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    ...what's that..?

10. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
  11. Cruzer_Fett

Aug 31, 2005
    An illusion?

12. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    Happiness isn't an illusion, it's just a pain in the butt trying to get to.

13. Cruzer_Fett

Aug 31, 2005
    ...or is it always there right in front of us or around us, but we just fail to see it or realize it's there?

"Happiness" kinda seems like a somewhat selfish and egocentric purpose for me.???

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Only if "happiness" applies only to yourself. If the purpose of life is to increase the happiness of those around you...that's not quite so selfish. :)

15. Cruzer_Fett

Aug 31, 2005
    Ahhh!

So then Purpose of life = making others happy while enjoying life yourself??

I could go with that one!

16. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    And that is The Answer. Happiness for everyone. I can think of no worthier pursuit, nor a better way to spend one's time here. Anything less would just be spinning your wheels and going nowhere, and life is far too short for that.[face_dancing]

17. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yep. I think that works for me. With a little exploring of the universe for good measure. [face_peace]

18. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    And the occasional donut.:D

19. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    well, trying to make those around you happier can make you feel happy yourself. and then again, you can just feel more and more miserable and taken for granted and insignificant.

or so i have heard.

how about finding beauty in the random, and appreciating it? maybe even occasionally, getting it on film? some things expend so much energy in their brief little lives, someone should notice, and at least say "hey, that's pretty..."

*sorry, just woke up*

20. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    Yeah but the whole "getting it on film" thing only works sometimes for me. I have videos of Toad growing so far, but as a whole I think differently. It's like the part in "Lost Highway" when the cops ask Bill Pullman's character if he own a video camera,and he replies with," No, I prefer to remember things the way they are in my head" or something like that. Sometimes Experiences are better in your memory, not on tape. Anyway, enough of my ranting. Off to work, hhahah

21. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    Sure, finding beauty is a good thing... which can then lead to happiness (you see, Happiness), unless you look at something and say, "Hey, that's pretty... gosh I'm depressed." That can't be healthy[face_sick].

I like the "keep stuff in your head" bit, because that's what I do, except for the stuff that I just gotta draw, and I do that for the enjoyment of doing it.

Even when I get to the "I hate it" stage of a painting when I get around to the end I'm usually happy with what I've done. (= Happiness, you see?)

22. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    i don't find any of these things fulfilling. except for maybe donuts.

my beliefs are such that happiness for yourself, or others, is all pointless in the end. i personally don't believe that i could find purpose in something so subjective and trival as "what makes me happy" or "what makes others happy." i guess my point is that happiness is inately temporary. what makes someone happy today may make him depressed tomorrow - the same with every emotion - which is why one can't base existence upon fleeting human emotion. emotions are important to our existence, but they're meant to enrich our lives, not direct them. not to mention that many things that might make me, or others "happy," i don't even consider to be morally right.

i don't believe that we are all just random beings who happened here for a short while, and then cease to exist. nor do i believe that "we live on, merely in the hearts of those who knew us." i believe in life after death and i believe that the purpose of this life now is to determine what the one afterward will subsist of.

end of Liz's two cents.

23. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    First, "purpose of life" is too vague. Purpose of human life? or all life. Physical or spiritual? If all life then can the spiritual aspects be taken out if we talk of plants? Would a tree or blade of greass have a spiirtual side? That goes into another question.
    Happiness? If the purpose of life is to be happy then we should all use lots of calming drugs and be happy. Of course then everyone would set around in a semi-mindless state untill the drugs ran out and then we would be unhappy. Doesn't work.

Look at fleas. What is their purpose? They are a parasite. They do nothing more than feed and lay eggs. On a personal note I believe that the fleas purpose is to give me great, almost orgasmic pleasure when I crush them with my thumb nail. The sound they make when they "pop." (shudder[face_batting] ) But I degress. What is the purpose of life for a flea? The same as for man. To exist. That's all. Our purpose is to survive and exist. Anything we get out of it in the meantime is nothing more then a perk.

24. Cruzer_Fett

Aug 31, 2005
    What if when we die, we just ceast existing. That's all. Nothing more. No afterlife, no nothing. Just ceasing?

Curious as to the "afterlife" you're refering to Liz_Skywalker?

MP, the question is intentionally vague so that you can form your own meaning. But I was thinking more along the line of human life since I'm human...I think...there is that 5 minutes of my life I can't recall except for those small green large headed creatures surrounding me on a table within their flying spaceship. [face_laugh]

25. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I think I know those guys.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.