main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Q: about starfest 2003

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by McLean, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    Who was the guy dressed up as that spawn thing from starfest? I was wondering if hes around here because i want to ask him some questions and i didnt get a chance at starfest

2. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, his name is Jeff.

We know that much.

Most people (the garrison, and I think the RMFF, too) know him as Jeff "No, sorry, I don't have a phone, e-mail address, place of residence, or any possible way of contacting me." LOL. [face_laugh]

3. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Really, though, Jeff's cool. After having tried twice to get his info, I've decided to respect his privacy. He's known from coast to coast for having the coolest Spawn and Manga Spawn costumes in existence -- at the expense of a few...personal sacrifices...that most people wouldn't make... :(

...or...have to make, under the right circumstances. :)

We've thoroughly interrogated him, though -- maybe I could answer one of yer questions? What were you looking for?

4. McLean

Jan 1, 2004
    do you think hes gona have some amazing costume this year? or does he only do spawn stuff?

5. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    He mentioned wanting to do a Gundam, but he had so many mods planned for his Manga Spawn that I can really only figure there's a 50/50 chance he'll have something new. If you were at MileHiCon, he wore his normal Spawn costume there.

That was a LOT of hot glue.

6. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    After having tried twice to get his info, I've decided to respect his privacy.

I just realized how psycho that made me sound...LOL. [face_laugh]

7. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    What other questions?

His Manga Spawn suit was framed with a set of football shoulderpads, hockey goalie gloves (if I remember right), and a set of ski boots.

The rest was made with sheets of black ABS. Nothing was vac-formed -- each piece had layer upon layer of small strips that were cut, slightly bent with a heat gun, and then riveted on. He didn't know anything about vac-forming, or have the space for it when he was making the suit, otherwise it would've taken much less plastic than what he used.

The whole set of armor weighed over 150 pounds.

Some of the detailing was made with hot glue.

It took 4 troopers to help him get undressed, and 6 to help him carry his armor out to his truck.

He also had to walk down the hotel hallway sideways because the costume was too wide.

8. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Umm...

He machined the spikes -- he's a machinist...

The skulls were made out of metal. He made a template, cut them out of sheet metal, and bent them to the right form.

He couldn't sit down in it -- he spent all day standing up, and never took the armor off.

By the time were were done helping him get undressed, we had figured out tons of mods to make his armor much more friendly...although he'd pretty much need to make a new set. LOL.

He also spent like, 1500 hours making it (and 600 on his normal Spawn, if I remember right) -- another thing that could have been sped up with vac-forming. So, basically, his costumes have more or less been his life for the past 2-3 years.

9. McLean

Jan 1, 2004
    oh yah, now that i think about it,does back stage at starfest have a ramp or stairs on to the stage? i sent an email to starland but they never responded(my possible starfest costume might have a foot span of about 25 in. and that doesnt agree with stairs :) ( im amazed jeff didnt make his costume with vac- forming)

10. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Poor guy also didn't have fans or a voice amp in it, so he was pretty much all alone in a 90-degree 150 pound tank.

Ack.

11. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, I don't think it does. The room the costume contest is held in doesn't have a green room/stage monkey area. It's all stairs. [face_plain]

It gets pretty crowded there, and with them having Starfest at that uber-sucky convention center again (the previous place was SO MUCH better), any kind of awkward costume is hard to maneuver in. [face_plain]

EDIT: Took out a slightly measurement error on my account. P'raps it's time for bed...

12. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    INCHES!

Sorry. Inches. Not feet.

Howzabout this -- make more friends here quick, and somebody's bound to help you carry a ramp. LOL. [face_laugh]

13. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Now I'm curious as to what has a 25 inch footspan.

A Gundam?

Another big stompy robot?

Actually, they SHOULD provide a ramp -- I just remembered from my rave party days -- every building with stairs has to have ramp access for the handicapped, ambulance stretchers, and snakes, otherwise it's considered a fire hazard.

And just as a precaution, somebody could bring a 5-foot-long sheet of plywood.

14. McLean

Jan 1, 2004
    this is off topic but i just visited the fanforce site and in the starfest 03 section im listed as Jango Jr. I NEVER WANT TO BE IN THE KID DEVISION OF THE COSTUME CONTEST AGAIN. but i will be because im still under 18. :( and i completely agree that this convention center SUCKS. i liked the previous one

15. McLean

Jan 1, 2004
    in the email i sent i requested they set one up (ramp) because im not sure but i think its illegal not to have one(for wheel chairs and stuff)

Edit-forget this post. i didnt see the previous one about fire safety, and to answer some questions, the 25 in foot span is for a robot. an A.P.U. from the matrix.(i dont know if ill finish it, but if i do ill give jeff a run for his money)

16. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Ew.

Yeah, that's gotta suck.

Think of it this way -- by the time yer 18, you should be good enough to knock the pants of off most people that are old enough to have police records that stay with them for the rest of their lives. [face_laugh]

And you'll have a nice portfolio if you wanna go to art skool.

17. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Oooo...a Matrix 'mech would r0x0r.

Someday I'll do a Robotech Cyclone...

Someday...

WAIT! I know someone on the costume contest staff. Let me mail him real quick before I head out for the night...

18. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Okie. He's e-mailed.

I'm outtie now...

19. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, my goodness! I actually got a reply!

Sooo...what of the STAIR/RAMP question???

"I have not been on the StarFest stage, since they moved to the Marriott, but
    I'd assume that the stage is probably similar.

It is about 3' high, with 3-4 stairs leading up to the stage. In the past,
    the stairs were fairly rickety. Also, there is a curtain at the top of the
    stairs at the edge of the stage. It if very unsafe to exit the stage,
    through a curtain, directly on a set of stairs. There have been costumes in
    the past which could not make it up the stairs and had to come out through
    the curtain on the floor level with the audience. Great for people on the
    front row, bad for people in the back.

A plywood ramp could maybe be done. The stairs are probably about 3' wide.
    My best suggestion would be to have your own stage crew to help wrangle the
    costume and get it on stage. If you expect Starland to help, I'm sure that
    it will make them mad."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.