main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD QFF's 'Casual' sports discussion - whatever your sport.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    It was INDEED a VERY long way today!

Holden wins again..congrats to all who finished the Big race.

I was SO ready for Marcus to come up and challenge for 3rd or even 1st after that 2nd last pace car, and then the INCIDENT with Mr Murphy. I'm a Ford fan, and tend to think Marcus is a bit misunderstood so I'm on Marcus' side on this one. I thought it was ironic that had he actually gone over that rail, tumbled down that hill and caught fire that that balaclava would've saved his lovely face, whether he liked it or not.

I was so hoping that Mark Skaife would get out of his car at the end and NOT have a balaclava on. But they didn't show it.

I also LOVe the way Lowndes can have a REALLY crap day, and smile and continue on, even after almost death a the hands of a car tyre.

An enjoyable day. BUt who the hell scheduled the Japanes F1 today too! I'm too tired to be bothered watching it now!!

Oh and whoever thought of putting 4 dollar lunchtime pizzas on at Domino's today was a genius..although now I feel tired and SICK! :)

Oh and those Cougar ads were great!

Not a bad day for it.

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Totally agree Kahlan!

I cringed when that incident occured with the pile-up. Ambrose was very close to going over the embankment, and down into the scrub some 15m below! That was a very difficult thing to blame. I hope it goes down as a "racing incident".

That stretch of road is becoming notorious for incidents... Last year's Roo prang, this year Lowndes' tyre vs windscreen, and the Ambrose/Murph + pile-up.

Congrats to the Dodo guys on their win! Ashby and Reed deserve some results after all those years at the Mountain.

The helicopter chasing looked awesome, but at a VERY low altitude! Was that legal?

Great race, well done to Webber as well!

3. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    LOL actually after that pile up I was fully expecting the helicopter to crash on the track. That would have really capped off an eventful Bathurst.

4. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    It's had its fair share of oddities, that track.

I recall a corporate tent blew onto the track a few years back. Last year was the roo collision. People burning their sofas atop the Mountain after the race. It goes on...

Can the Rest of the World team beat Australia in the Test Match in Sydney? I say no.

Will Valentino Rossi leave MotoGP in 2007 for World Rallying or Formula One? I am sure he will have won 8 consecutive championships by then... 6 straight in MotoGP alone.

5. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    F1... finished.
    Footy...finished.
    V8s...only 2 rounds to go.
    WRC...almost finished. Australian round soon!

Lots of stuff coming to an end...but what's this?

Hello Cricket!!

6. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    I've totally missed much of the last few rally's. I should find out what's doin!

7. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    The Queenslander Chris Atkinson's podium recently has done his chances of remaining with Subaru good. Although Citroen and Pugeot are leaving the Championship next year so there's a heap of awesome drivers looking for factory drives with the remaining teams.

Drivers such as Gronholm, Martin, Loeb and Duval. Hopefully Atko will score a podium in Western Australia next month!

The Bulls have just started a tour match against the West Indies (not sure if it's at the Gabba or in Aspley), and we're batting. Carn the Bulls! (Hayden out for a duck...lol.)

8. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    It's not 100% sports related, but there's enough of a tie to make it worthwhile...

How's this for unusual coincidences?
    Year 1981

1. Prince Charles got married
    2. Liverpool crowned Champions of Europe
    3. Australia lost the Ashes
    4. Pope Died

Year 2005

1. Prince Charles got married
    2. Liverpool crowned Champions of Europe
    3. Australia lost the Ashes
    4. Pope Died

In future, if Prince Charles decides to get married and Liverpool wins another
    European crown ... someone please warn the Australian cricket side and the
    Pope!

9. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...and why is it that only one of these scares me? Well, two if you count The Ashes and the Pope. Three if you add Liverpool.
    I've mastered my fear of the Prince. I met him in 1983 at Maroochydore Airport on his Honeymoon with Diana, the day they went to Big Pineapple. And when I saw him shake my hand, I cried. I screamed with fear.

Fortunately I'm no longer scared by anything he does. Although those easrs are kinda menacing.

10. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Tri Nations final this weekend...
    Down with the Kiwis!

Oh, and a belated WooHoo and congrats to the Socceroos!

11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Yeah the game was great. Go the soccaroos!

12. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Last round of the V8 series this weekend!

Go Lownsdey...or Russell. Don't mind which :)

13. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Well it is still a mathematical chance for eithr of the Holden Racing Team cars to win the championship.
    [face_praying]
    ...but failing that, go Lowndesie.

Atkinson has signed with Subaru for the 2006 WRC season! [face_dancing]

And Brian Lara is finally carving us up. 'bout time. Shame about the rest of the 'windies.

Gooba "someone PLEASE tape the V8s for me!!! [face_praying] " Fish.

14. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002

The F1 starts this weekend, the WRC is running and the V8s are due in a few weeks.

Oh yeah, someone said something about the NRL starting this week too.

15. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    OUCH!
    Them Cowboys came to play...:oops:

Oh well, onwards to the Bahrain F1 GP,
    where Aussie Mark is qualified in 7th.

16. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Carn' the Hondas! Or the Williams! Well, anyone apart from those two red rockets on the front row!

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Alonso takes a great win, with the Schu and JuanPablo filling the podium.

I'm so excited for the rest of the season. Can McLaren catch the Renaults and Ferraris? Onya Webber on your 6th place. Massa's kamikhaze effort on Alonso failed - the Renault wins!

Can't wait for R3 - Melbourne!

18. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Er, it was actually Kimi "The Monotone Robit" Raikkonen in third. The encouraging thing for Williams judging by the fastest laps, is that both cars were in the top 5 for the day. Aussie Mark might just be up for that first win this year. Though his new team-mate Rosberg might give him a bit of a run by the looks. Love the qualifying this year... very hectic and exciting. I just wish they'd get rid of the '2 races/engine' rule.

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    I didn't see the race but the qualifying looked insane!! I tried to understand all the rules as they went through them on RPM, but got a bit lost. I like that they can change tyres, but yeah it does seem to defeat the purpose of the v8 rahter than v10 engine. Anyway, I'm just repeating the RPM guys pretending that I know so much! LOL

Commonwealth games start tomorrow people!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOO, and in a time zone we can watch!!

20. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Uh, yes, Kimi... [face_worried] Well I was distracted by the shiny chrome tops on those McLarens... [face_whistling] And I have to say that I'm looking forward to Melbourne (R3 this year instead of R1) more so than when I WENT to the race last year.

In the games I'm looking forward to the Triathlon, maybe the Rugby Sevens. Oh, go Kelvin Kerkow! Not that fussed on the Athletics or Swimming. The netball will be interesting. The Kiwis are the no.1 team, but it's in Melbourne and the Aussies will be pumped. Not that the Kiwis aren't as pumped (with it being the Games and all), but the home advantage should play for something, right???

Adrian Morley: What a hit! He didn't go for the head. I have often bagged him and his style, but this hit seemed legit to me.

21. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Ben Walker=SOFT. Morley got suspended for his reputation... and that just sucks. I've seen Sonny Bill Williams hit a dozen blokes like that and no one batted an eyelid. I've come to respect Morley as one of the game's last of a dying breed... he is the NRL 'Hard Man'.

22. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Some other hits of his were either high or reckless, but this one was okay.
    imo.

The F1 is on again this weekend?
    [face_dancing]

23. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Sepang Sepang!

Could be an interesting race...
    One flaw with the new qualifying format is that the faster cars have to run for longer, thus putting more stress on their engines. So it'll be a point of interest to see just how many of the top teams make it to the end. I conjure that 20000-rpm in the heat and humidity of Malaysia, coupled with the long straights on the circuit, would be a recipe for detonation.

Edit - Hope it doesn't happen to Aussie Mark though.[face_praying]

24. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    -Highest revving engine.
    -2nd race for the engine.

It's not adding up, but this *is* F1 and 2 race engines are to be expected from any manufacturer, even Cosworth.

25. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Webber qualified 4th for tonight's race.

This year is going to rock. Williams has joined Hondo, Ferrari, McLaren and Renault as in-form teams. Good to see! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.