main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD QldFF Techie Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Well as I have a question to ask that's kinda techie, I thought those of us with questions others here might be able to answer could just use the one thread to ask it in.

Mine goes like this:

I would like to buy This remote control, but it is a United Kingdon item. I am not fussed with the price (I'd expect it to be under $30 all up incl. postage, and I'm looking locally for one too). This is the exact same remost as the one I'm replacing, but being sold in the UK, would it work on an Aussie TV/VCR?
    My common sense says 'yes', but I thought I'd ask...

You: "Hey GoobaFish, that looks like IC's remote..."
    Me: "Yes, it does..." [face_whistling]

2. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Don't worry Goob it will work so long as it is for the same model TV that you have and what not. The only changes made in TV's to ship from one country to the next is video format and the power (though these days that is less of a concern as most sets are made to adapt to any region ;) ). Remotes however don't come into this consideration as they run on batteries and are configured for the model of the set it was designed for.

You probably already knew all this but hey it's always nice to have your thoughts confirmed by the musings of another don't you think?

:D

3. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm not certain, but G sounds pretty confident on this one, so I'd go with what he says. There's no reason why it should change, but you never know with these people.

4. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    In me you shall put your trust.... Famous last words that [face_mischief]

5. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...thanks, G!

Anyone else with a niggling techie issue?

6. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Can someone please come around and set the time on my VCR?

and while you're there, the heads are a bit wonky, so if you could check them out that would be GREAT. They might need replacing. Also, eh eject mechanism sticks, so maybe if you just swap that for a new one it might work a bit better. In fact, the case is also scratched, and the remote has seen better days, so if someone could update those as well I'd really appreciate it.

7. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    All things considered... You'd be better off just getting a new one.:p

8. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    get a dvd player ya hippeh!

9. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...which would also means she would need a DVD Recorder to record those TV shows, and a capture card for her PC to transfer her VCR tapes to DVD, and a Burner to burn those.
    [face_tired]

10. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    ok I got one for you nerds :p
    just kidding *under breath*you nerds

I have a reciprocating compressor that is set to do a 18kw unit and has a fla of 10amps but on the off cycle the high side pressure drops too quickly and the operating pressure is well below the iso standard for this system also the housing is getting very hot and its not the crank case heater either
    what should I do ?

11. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Now that's a problem I know not how to fix... Well, actually I have know idea what you're actually on about :confused:

12. run

run Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    get a new air conditioner cheapskate!!

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I have a reciprocating compressor that is set to do a 18kw unit and has a fla of 10amps but on the off cycle the high side pressure drops too quickly and the operating pressure is well below the iso standard for this system also the housing is getting very hot and its not the crank case heater either
    what should I do ?

Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning.

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah I did all that but you never answered, I'm begining to think you're avoiding me.

15. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Is anyone interested by THIS program?

If it was freeware I'd be using it today...

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Oh yeah, I sure would give it a go :D

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Neat. I wouldn't use it, but it'd be fun to play with. It's my guilty pleasure that I love bells and whistles. Part of the reason I'm looking forward to Windows Vista is all the fancy graphical effects. Call me shallow. *Shrugs*

The whole 3d interface thing is all cool and sci-fi and stuff, but I don't think it would be very practical or user friendly.

18. sith star

May 29, 2000
    the discharge reed valve had carbon scoring on it and hence no division between the high anf low side

ok I got a good one

I am using a magellan explorist 400 and want ti sync it with google earth or a program similar but I am too cheap to get the upgrade for google is there another way around this so my gps will log in real time with my lappy ?

19. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
  20. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I know there's a big GPS community on the net, and that Google Earth/Maps uses an open API that is very easy to write custom software for, so I'm willing to bet that if you looked hard enough you'd probably be able to find something, or some kind of way to do what you want.

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I would suggest a UBD and a watch.

EDIT: also well-handy is a long piece of stringso you can measure out the distance.

22. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    I prefer a trundle wheel... clickety-clickety-clickety-click.:D

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I ask ya, what's wrong with a ruler?

24. sith star

May 29, 2000
  25. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    No, see, you need the piece of string cos it's too hard to measure around corners on the UBD with a ruler. So what you do, right, is measure it out with the string and then compare the string to the little distance bar on the map.

Voila!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.