main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD QldFF Techie Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    (weathy friends)

(noob)

2. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    such a noob

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    We had a corded remote on our first VCR as well. Until the dog ate the cord.

4. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Don't you hate it when that happens?

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    My grandma used to have a VCR with a corded remote. I loved it, it was such a novelty.

6. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Man, we didn't have a VCR! We just had a woodframed TV with a dial to change the channels.

Many a night was spent watching Magnum PI, TJ Hooker and the A Team. :D

7. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Hey I just saw what could almost be described as a universal translator on Beyond tomorrow!

TRekkies go nuts!

Was very cool. Basic one was a PDA that translates for you when doing tourist type things, even takes photos of signs and translates them, and the most advanced they're working on was a speker above someone's head that translates as the waves descend over you.

Well I was excited!

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yep, saw that too... Very soon there will be no excuse to learn anything :p

9. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well I'm hoping not. I sucked at languages!

10. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I think its funny how these technologies that are in Star Trek, are being invented before they are in the Trek timeline, and are often better!

11. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well until my icrowave can prepare and cook food for me without me doing ANYTHING, I'm reserving judgement.

[face_praying]

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    You're such a geek, Marv :p

But no, that's awesome. This is why I love technology. Like, just in general. There's so much amazing stuff being done all the time, so many new inventions and new ways of doing things. Love it.

13. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    To add to the support for Technology, the latest in Medical Technology has arrived.

Use your own stem cells (Mesenchymal Precursor Cells to be precise) to rebuild your organs or whatever you need.
    As seen on ABC's Catalyst last week.

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Nyders goal to live forever could actaully become a reality... God help us all! :p

15. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Well if he does he won't be bothering any of us in our relative after-lives :p heh.

Hey Fishbulb, may I ask why you have a link to PS tutorials on DA where that Catalyst link is? :confused: :p

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Best left unanswered that one. o_O

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
  18. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Wow, that's an interesting story on the stem cell development. I was wondering which cardiac hospital they were trialing this at, because it sounds like something mine wouldn't touch with a 10 foot arthroscope. *hospital humour there

But I totlaly get the patients point. Why not try something like this if you've got no other chance anyway. More people should do that.

19. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    does anyone know where I can get a fix for Mac OS 10.4.6?

Cos this upgrade is driving me NUTS

20. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    A hammer or this might help. Or change to a real operating system :p

I am shortly going to purchase and assemble a New PC, but I'm having trouble identifying a relatively inexpensive ($100-$200) enclosure. I hear Antec are good, but have heard worrying things about their power supplies. Any ideas?

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    You mean a case, right, CCD? Yeah, Antec is a good brand. I've got an Antec power supply, and I've not had any problems with it. There are better brands if you're into serious, high-end enthusiast-level stuff, but no, Antec have always been solid. And besides, if you really want an Antec case but not one of their PSUs, you shouldn't have any problems finding empty cases without a PSU included. Check UMart's case section and see what takes your fancy, and use Google to find some reviews, see what people think. Basically, you want a case that's easy to get into, easy to work in, can fit everything you need, and hopefully looks nice. If it's got good ventilation and is built for quiet operation, even better. As always, shop around and research your options to be sure you're getting what you need and getting the best deal for it.

22. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Bah. I've always just gone the $55 ones, and have had no trouble. My current one is nicknamed "Darth", 'cause it's all black with a mean grille on the front. And no, it doesn't wheeze.

23. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Uh, yeah [face_blush]. Thanks for the advice!

24. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    I'm looking at Antec's P150 case, but the supplied PSU does not have an 8-pin +12V power connector, only a single 4-pin +12V connector. A) what does this mean?? and b) does it matter?

I would only be running fairly basic stuff, say a 7600GT (tops) with no SLI........

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    That's fine, CCD. You've got the 20-pin main power connector, plus the 4-pin 12V connector. Both of those go into the motherboard. That's been the standard for some time now. And looking at the specs on the power supply that comes with the P150, it looks like it's backwards compatible, so you'd be able to hook it up to an old mobo if needs be. If you're getting a 7600, though, you obviously have a PCI Express board, (i.e. a new one) so you'll have no trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.