main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD QldFF Techie Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    What? Don't you like a challenge? [face_mischief]

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    On the contrary, I don't like to sully my flying experience by using inferior peripherals. :p

3. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Bah! Admit it, you're just afraid. :p

4. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Back on the mp3 topic, got a "chipod" (chinese nano ripoff) off ebay, $41 delivered for 1GB. Have been trialing watching "Kenny" on it :D (300MB)

NB to EVERYONE looking at "mp4" players on ebay: there is a HUGE scam going on, selling 4GB and the like which are actually much lower ram formated to report a higher storage. Mine was sold as 4GB, but low-and-behold, it has a 1GB chip in it. A quick format, and it works fine, but still a pain in the arse. Luckily I paid less than what most 1GB are going for, and seems to be pretty good apart from the blatant fraud. And ebay/paypal do nothing about it...

5. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Furthermore, I hear that scammers are selling 4 or 8 (etc) GB USB Memory sticks that are actually 256/512MB ones. They're re-labling and re-voluming them, or the like.

6. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Heaven forbid :eek:

7. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Ok, this might be a lot to ask but does anyone other than me use Trillian? I've been having problems getting on to the MSN server lately - just wondering why the darn thing won't log on and if anyone else is having the same problem(no there has NOT been an update I'm aware of).

Bleh, it's an MS conspiracy...

Speaking of which I can't seem to "activate" Windows either, keeps telling me the server is down which is silly :p Anyone heard if this is a Vista thing, not being able to activate old versions of Windows? I had XP on my computer before it was officially released in Australia (100% legit copy from Singapore, holographic sticker and all) so never had to deal with a load or re-load after the release of a newer version. I'm kinda at my wits ends. Last time I called the MS "help line" it was 3 hours of frustration and tail chasing.

8. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Haven't been having any trouble with MSN Loz... Trillian's alright, although slightly annoying to interface with (emoticons not always working, display pics not updating properly... silly things). In my eyes, it's defining quality is the ability to talk with multiple chat clients, but other than that its over-rated. If you're only conversing with people who use msn, it seems kind of pointless. If you know people who use icq, yahoo, etc as well as msn, then it is handy.

9. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    That's precisely why I do use it Morgs, I do actually run and use all the chat clients it offers. Once upon a time MSN wasn't even a chat client, and when it first got started it was WAYYY behind the competition. Just like chat rooms used to be a separate entity to your web browser. But I'm showing my age.
    Trillian is currently having issues logging on to the MSN server. I'm hoping it is because of some funky integration thing with the activation of Windows and will fix itself up once I've done that. But I wanted to check first if others running the program were having problems so I don't get overly disappointed and frustrated when it falls flat on its face even AFTER I activate the OS.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Could it be because MSN has switched over to Windows Live Messenger?*grumblegrumble*

May take a bit for third party software to catch up.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    We do Windows activations here all the time at work. If it doesn't work online, do it over the phone. It takes 5 minutes. At most, you'll just have to promise an Indian call centre type that you only have it installed on one machine.

12. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I agree...Registering over the phone is easy. You don't even have to talk to anyone apart from a computer (yes, talk to it), and the prompting is good.

13. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    You don't even have to talk to anyone apart from a computer (yes, talk to it)

That's how SkyNet happens!!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

14. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I am having all sorta crazy PC troubles with my desktop [face_skull] When I load some games sometimes they freeze and i have to reboot, and then the PC doesnt even turn on at all. Sometimes when i rebooot it the PC makes a long beep noise, and nothing shows on the screen.

A couple of times i've had message with say "The system has recovered from a serious crash" or something like that....

The fan on the graphics card hasnt worked in some time and i have a desk fan pointing at it at the moment.

I really have no idea what to do....Im very poor at the moment, apart from buying a new PC, any suggestions? I really know nothingabout these sorta things...

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    get a mac

16. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    dalek
    "Do not Blaspheme!!"
    /dalek

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Scan for viruses and spyware. Remove any unnecessary background programs.
    Check the motherboard for swollen or leaking capacitors. If there are any: chuck it.
    Get a bootable hardware diagnostics CD and run scans on the RAM (Memtest x86+) and hard drive (Drive Fitness Test). If there's a problem with either of those, they will need replacing.
    If not, try a re-install of Windows, though it sounds to me more like it's a hardware fault somewhere. If your graphics card is overheating, it's going to manifest itself in crazy graphical artifacts before it results in a crash, so it's more likely to be the RAM or the motherboard.

18. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Actually now hat you mention it, when games crash sometimes the screen is filled with multicolour dots. it looks crazy! Its like every pixel is a different colour.

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well then that screams video card failure. Fix the fan on that sucker or you'll damage the chip. If possible, pull it off, clean it out and and hit it with WD-40, otherwise get a whole new card. It's quite possible that that's your main problem right there.

20. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
  21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Not a problem, always happy to help. :)

22. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    MTV brand CDs from supermarkets are not recommended for making audio (music) CDs out of.

23. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Irecently purchased some CDs which are no good for audio. Not sure what brand.. from JB.

24. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    [image=http://www.comics.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2007052443912.gif]

25. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Ah well there is difference between CD's that are only good for Data and Audio.[face_tired]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.