1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:QLD QldFF Techie Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Argh.

Here is my conundrum. I want to play this here DVD, see? But the player says I gotsta change the region. Problem is the amount of region changes has run out. I heartell that you should be allowed to change the region settings around four times - and I know for a fact that this drive has only one change and it has already locked itself.

The exact same thing happened on the Laptop back when I was using it. I had made note of the number of changes left and assumed in good faith I'd be able to change it back once I was done. Apparently not.

Anyone heard of this? Any reliable solutions to this problem?
    Sigh, I miss my computer.
  2. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sounds like the region lock on your drive is just being silly. You've basically got 2 options. You can flash the firmware of your drive, which would remove any region locking, but that's complex, potentially dangerous, and you might have a hard time finding the right patch. Better would be to use a piece of software like AnyDVD or DVD43 which bypasses region locking. I haven't used one before, as I don't have any non-region 4 discs, but Goobs is in the know about such things, he could point you to a good one.

Or you could just buy a new drive. DVD-Roms are about 30 bucks these days, and a full-fledged dual-layer burner is around $70. Cheap as chips.
  3. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, in the first instance you are refering to a DVD player that you attach to your TV right? If so I'm going to assume it's a Sony because as far as I know they are the only ones who ever/still software lock their players.

Regardless, just google DVD player multizone and you should find sites around that will tell you how to unlock it. Goobs might still have the addy of the site I used to unlock mine.

If you are talking about a computer on the otherhand (as obviously in case 2) then flash the firmware or use a different player. Some computers lock the players, some software locks the viewing software. It depends on the computer/hardware and the software you are running.
  4. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    No Loz, these are both Computer dvd drives. One drive is in Dad's computer, and the other in the laptop.

Will investigate suggestions.

I believe dad is going to check out my computer to see about why it has been rendered functionless today, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to go back to using my own computer upon my return home anyway. [face_praying]
  5. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the old girl seems to be chugging along fine now - so I can use my DVD player (wooo~ [face_whistling] ). According to dad, the reason my computer had gone down was because I hadn't given it enough hugs :p
  6. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well I suppose that might work. :p

As I've said before, Morgan, feel free to drop you box in here where I work. We don't charge for a once-over to check it out and diagnose what your problems are.
  7. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Duely noted, although in all honesty I rather suspect that if ever I make it into a computer shoppe any time soon, it will be to replace what I will jokingly call Ms Spatula. She's working for now, and that's all I ask until I can divert enough funds towards a new computer.
  8. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Took me a while to find this thread.

I have a basic question to ask the greater alliance of puter savvy people.

My monitor screen is too dark. I change the settings in control panel, nice and light, save it when it asks me to, and then once the puter is turned off, it defaults back to awful and dark again.
    I'm sure there's a basic way to change the default setting to lighter.
    The brightness on the monitor itself is set to maximum. Maybe that's half the problem.

Anyway, small thing, driving me crazy.

TA!
  9. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sounds like it's just not saving the new settings and restoring them at startup for some reason. Have a look in the settings panel and see if there's a checkbox labelled "restore these settings on startup" or something along those lines. Failing that, Powerstrip should be able to control brightness settings, though don't quote me on that since I'm not massively familiar with it.

Failing all that, we're selling 17-inch CRT monitors down where I work for $89. If you ask me nicely, I might be able to grab you one cheaper with my employee discount. :) The brightness on those ones is all just fine.
  10. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    It's bamboozled me too. It's not the monitor, it appears that windows just defaults to a standard gamma. This is despite going in and saving the defaults with a brighter gamma the previous time you had the thing on.

Now I thinm about it, There is a possibility that Adobe has a gamma adjuster installed with Photoshop. Will check.
  11. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How odd. The Adobe gamma applet should only adjust the brightness within Photoshop, not outside of it, but certainly check it out, just in case. Try updating or reinstalling the video drivers, too.
  12. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4

Looking at laptops... Why does it have to be so hard to find one that isn't widescreen? :confused:
  13. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    Wide-screen is pretty much the standard now, but you can sometimes find some monitors or laptops that aren't wide. But is there really any reason to not get wide-screen? My wide-screen monitor is huge and it's beautiful. The extra screen real estate is great, especially for word documents and videos. Most games that are released nowadays are wide-screen native, and a lot of older games that weren't made for wide-screen can be modded to work in wide or stretched. I wholeheartedly recommend wide-screen over non-wide.
  14. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Nyeh, the only really point I've seen for Widescreen is for watching movies - and I don't watch movies all that often on my computer. I do play a lot of older games, and I deem it inconvenient looking for mods to be able to play all of them. And something tells me no one's bothered to make a mod for "Hocus Pocus"... [face_thinking]

Basically, I'm just not a fan of it. That's just my bent. Ah well, I don't really have much choice there.
  15. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Widescreen fits the human eye better. Think about it: our eyes are side by side, so we see in a "rectangle" rather than a "square". Since I started using a widescreen at home, I hate having to work on a regular one, it feels all cramped and squashed. Great for movies and games, obviously, but trust me, the extra horizontal desktop real estate feels luxurious, and is very useful. I find myself multi-tasking much more often, opening multiple small windows to take advantage of the high resolution and the abundance of space. As Sambo said, I can think of no reason at all to choose 4:3 over widescreen.
  16. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Once you get a widescreen, never will you go back ;)
  17. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Like I said - It's just my preference - I never said anyone else had to agree so please stop trying to sell it... o_O

Besides, as is already stated, I'm not really going to have much choice am I :p The only regular resolution lappy that ASUS have is the swishy yellow Lambhorgini branded one (And no one else I've checked out seems to have anything normal either). If only it didn't have the crest on it, I'd get it and call it a bumblebee lappy. [face_thinking]
  18. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
  19. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Didn't mean to come across like I was selling, just answering your question about why everything's moving that way. :)
  20. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    I think there's something in that for all us, don't you?
  22. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally decided to stop dilly-dallying and ordered a lappy over the interweb from Umart... Will have to conscript my brother or someone to pick it up, but that's okay. Finally I'll be able to play vaguely recent games :p (As much as I'm loving HalfLife 1...)
  23. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooohhh, list specs :)
  24. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  25. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.