main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD QldFF Techie Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Today I decided to clean my computer. I mean physically clean, not by deleting files and such. I took the panels off and removed the fans and went through it all with a cloth and lightly went over the dustiest parts with the vacuum cleaner. I finally get it looking schmico. I put everything where it was and plug it back in. Now it's quieter, and 2 USB ports that weren't working yesterday, nor for about a month come back to life. Also, since my computer had a power surge, it hadn't liked USB ports during BIOS. Now it runs USB without a problem.

Summary - Cleaning your computer makes it work alot better.

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Sambo, DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner to clean out your PC. One word: static. It's extremely possible for a vacuum cleaner to build up the kind of charge that can destroy your entire system in the blink of an eye. Don't do it.

The best way to clean a PC of dust is to take it somewhere well ventilated and use compressed air to blast the dust out. We have an air compressor at work for just this purpose, but you can also buy cans of compressed air from hardware stores. I've been meaning to pick one out myself.

3. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, it's looking like i'm going to need a new videocard for skynet, because it's current one is melting.

I've think I've found a suitable replacement BBN, what do you think of this?

4. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    2 big honkin' thumbs up. Looks like the 8800GT prices have stabilised now. It's the card to get, without a doubt. If you can find a more recognisable brand than "Jetway" at a similar price, I'd go with that, but otherwise, yeah, absolutely. It'll blow your mind.

5. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Woe. The lappy seems to be a bit sick lately. The Startup Repair program doesn't seem to know what's wrong with it, so I suspect that's a hardware issue (She really hasn't been the same since the LAN). If I can get her to start up I'm thinking to back up all my docs and see if I can't reinstall the OS/strip it back to factory condition and whatever, but if I can't or if it doesn't make any difference, I may have to have to call upon one of you fine tech savvy lads to take a look at her.

6. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2000
    Okay, here's a weird one.

New computer's fully armed and operational, but there's a virtual DVD drive there in My Computer for some reason.

Properties lists it as an IVI Virtual CD SCSI CdRom Device.

I suspect I don't need it, and having three drives listed when I only have two physically there threatens my calm, so how do I go about getting rid of it please?

Also, as it's knocked one of the actual drives down a letter on the hierarchy, how can I change the drive letter in XP if it doesn't step it back up properly?

Thanks.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    And I've finally gotten around to ressurecting the Lappy. She seems to be going fine again, and we've even gotten her connecting via the webotube-less to Paul's network - so that gives me a few ideas RE getting her to connect at home. Just have to transfer all my data back, install a few vital programs, etc. I'll be back to serious-businessing it before long. Woooo~ [face_whistling]

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I still can't figure out exactly how to get the Lappy connecting to the home network wirelessly. I think the problem lies largely in the fact that I can't even see the network. The network is definitely there, my wireless is turned on - Wildly flailing in the dark has me wondering if maybe the router thing isn't broadcasting its SSID. I dunno, I'm just boggled. The router is a Netgear dealiemagig, if it's relevant.

9. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    That is really quite odd, but it could be a firewall issue. I've had that problem before - Norton is particularly bad in covering up the network without warning you that 1) it is doing so, and 2) that the network is there.

But if you are just running the windows firewall I see no reason why it would do this - mind you I've no experience with Vista at all.

Can you get the network if you plug in with a lan line?

10. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh it works fine via network cable, I just haven't been able to get it to acknowledge the existance of a wireless network.

Just running the Windows firewall I believe... It isn't a problem with Vista as we did get my Lappy connecting to other networks, just the home one I'm having issues with. Baffling.

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Here at home we've generally come to the consensus that my network device will only work with the provided adapters (despite the fact that my lappy has a perfectly nice wireless thing inbuilt - it came to light that other household lappies have had this issue also) so I've caved, grabbed one of the network adapters and installed the software.

After a bit of network jiggerypokery, I find myself posting from my bedroom instead of the drafty garage I claim as my office. I guess this networking case is more ]or less closed. [face_thinking]

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Just responding to Magnus's post a little way back, regarding his mystery CD drive.

Do you have any programs installed that do any kind of drive emulation, like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%? It's got to have been put there by some piece of software. Was it there right from the word go, or did it show up at some point during the setup process?

Regardless, to change drive letters, right-click on My Computer, and select Manage. Go to Disc Management, and right click on the drive you want and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths." Click the Change button, then select from the drop-down list. It's pretty self-explanatory.

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Things seems to be going okay with the upgrade, but no matter what I do, XP will refuse to recognise the driver for the HD Audio. Within a second of the driver going in, XP detects the Audio and wants a driver.
    :rolleyes:

[edit] So, latest driver from the website, all good.

Still, jury's out on this repair install of XP - will see how gaming goes.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I upgraded my phone on the weekend - Nokia 6110. This phone specifically because it has the GPS on it. The next model up has it as well, but they want to charge you on a yearly basis for that. Glad I got in on the 6110 action because they were trying to get rid of them.

Now that I have it, I find myself asking the big questions in life:

Do I want to download the mobile version of "Doom"? [face_thinking]

And how is it possible for there to be a mobile version of FarCry 2?

15. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Do I want to download the mobile version of "Doom"?

Yes. Very.

And how is it possible for there to be a mobile version of FarCry 2?

Not very. :( Still, the iPhone is able to run Quake freakin' 3, so it's not far away, technology-wise...

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    And yet, Far Cry persists in lingering on the game download page. For games that are supposed to be all about the visuals, it just seems a little wrong to have them in low res, eye-strain-o-vision.

As to the mobile version of Doom, it kind of looks like it's been converted down to the Wolfenstein 3D engine, going by the few screenshots on the site. Still might be worth a look though :p

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Oh, I see. Some kind of weird promotional tie-in, those being all the rage these days. I've no doubt you can safely skip it.

18. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    GOOB HERE.
    Yup, XP install issue.

Anyone have an XP Professional install disc (WITH SP2) that I can borrow? I have my own key but my install disk is the 1st version and the install has issues with my newer hardware, which a clean XP Pro with SP2 will have no worries with.
    (Sorry Kahlan 'bout posting under your name.)

Goobs.
    (Wondering if he's gonna have to get a new OEM XP Pro(SP2) off ebay for $40...)

PS: THX to BBN for the tech advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.