main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Q's needing A's on AlamDV

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediMattster1, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMattster1

JediMattster1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    Hey everybody, after checking out AlamDV's site, I just had a couple questions. I have After Effects 6.0 Standard... I don't know wxactly how they work together...Sooo, here they are:

1. What version would you recomend posibly within a $150 range?
    2., How much effects-work can I do with Alam? Overall, are there more effects I can do in Alam that I can't do in AE? (Like CG modeling, etc...)
    3. Would this be well worth it (considering i already have AE) Would you recommend this program, or is there something more useful?

Anyways, thanks for any help I can get from you guys... ;)

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I would recomend you explore AE more, theres a heck of a lot of stuff you can do in there.

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    You have AE 6.0.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy AlamDV. Seriously.

4. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    Is there practically no reason to buy AlamDV because AE can actually do the same tasks?

5. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    AE can do the same tasks, and do them better, be more flexible, and do alot more of them on top of it.

Why were you thinking of getting AlamDV if you have AE?

Essentially all AlamDV does is screen short looping video files over your video. That's simplifying it greatly, but that's the basics.

6. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    A'ight thanx very much guys. I was just hearing people talk about it and I was wondering if it would help me any...

7. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    Well, since I'm on topic of AE being more useful than I think... One question I've got is, Are you able to create something like a 3d model in AE?

8. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    No. AE has basic 3D functionality (in terms of it thinking its layers are 3D), but to really animate or model in 3D you need a program dedicated to it. A great free program for modeling is Wings3D. For evverything else, there's always Blender.

9. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    All right, Funk-E, you're helping a little too much... ;) Thanks for all your help, man, I'll take a look at 'em over google...

EDIT: Since you've been helping out a lot, you'd definately know this one Funk-E, Can you import and animate models from wings 3d into AE 6?

10. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    No. AE is essentially a 2D compositing and effects program. Only very basic 3D functionality.

11. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    Hm, so is there any way possible to import something from Wings as footage to After Effects?

12. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    To my knowledge that is all done with your 3D program. In something like Blender, you would create all your models, set up the animation and cameras, and then render the scenes and exporting it to a video file which could then be opened and manipulated in AE like footage from your camera.

13. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    Cool, cool, thanx for everybody's help. I think I know what I need to know.

14. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Actually - you CAN model in 3D in AE - it just takes forever as there are no real shaping tools - rather you would have to position EVERY polygon on your object using a perfectly masked 3D layer.

The time you would spend trying to model something sophisticated in AE would be worth a lot more than a decent 3D package.

-Spiff

15. DarthKraykan

DarthKraykan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    www.ryan-w.com

Dude, Ryan's tutorials are the bomb. If your new to AE check out his site.

I myself have never rated ALAM DV very highly, I've always found it to be unstable.

16. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    Well, I've had AE for almost 5 months now... I was just wondering if there are many additional 3D options in AE. I haven't done too much work with 3D layers. Anyways, thanks Darth Kraykan, but I've seen Ryan's tutorials even before I had After Effects... And Spiff, are there any tutorials on how to work on 3D layers?

17. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    As has been stated on this board, AE can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING except high end 3d work. It's not exceptionally well suited to do a lot of 3d work, but it CAN do some. Anything else, AE is your program.

How you can consider owning AE and still want to get AlamDV is beyond me, heathen... ;) J/k

Seriously, learn more about AE. AlamDV is totally not even remotely in any way shape or form superior to, an equal of, or even allowed to be in the presence of the almighty After Effects.

You get my point....

18. JediMattster1

Mar 26, 2004
    You get my point....

Sure thing, Thank you all who tried helping me out. I'll have to look at some features I never bothered to try in AE. Thanx again ;)

19. Tarn

Tarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Hi, JediMattster1. I'm part of the team behind FXhome.com and Chromanator. AlamDV2 is a very old program now, over two years old. It shouldn't really be compared to After Effects, considering the price difference: it's aimed at a different market.

We're currently working on AlamDV3, which will be a completely redesigned program. Some details on it will be released soon over at FXhome.com. AlamDV3 will be a vast improvement (we're just as aware of AlamDV2's shortcomings as anyone - probably more so) in all areas, as we're aiming to make it suitable for professional work this time round, but it will still retain the low price.

Feel free to email us at support@fxhome.com if you have any questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.