main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qualities of an ultimate Star Wars anti-hero

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord_Riven, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I was just wondering what the people here thought the attributes of an ultimate SW anti-hero were (Ie. villian)

2. Tana_the_Jedi

Tana_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    Black clothing, an inhuman face, a lightsaber that isn't white... you know, indirectly racist stuff.

3. AdmiralZaarinsPuppet

AdmiralZaarinsPuppet Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    White clothing, an human face, a lightsaber that is white... you know, completely unracist stuff.

4. Tana_the_Jedi

Tana_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    ... or something.

5. Jedi_Rock_Star

Jedi_Rock_Star Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2001
    Evil has no face.

6. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Sure it has, only in the film they decided to stick it on the back of Quirrel's... ;)

7. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    .........Waru?

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Anti-heroes ARE NOT villains! Anti-heroes are people who find themselves in extraordinary situations and must perform, usually when they don't want to or are lacking heroic qualities. John McLean from the original Die Hard is a perfect example of an anti-hero.

9. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Kier - can Borsk Fey'lya be considered an anti-hero?

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Dracula in bram stoker's dracula is considered an antihero by some people in there essays and articles(I think ebert was one of these, if I remember). Yet he is also known as a villain by others. Yet still to others he is both.

Sometimes it seems to depend on the point of view of a person.

11. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, I agree that anti-hero isn't villain. Also, isn't it kinda bad that there's a Harry Potter spoiler in this thread? Oh well, as long as it isn't Star Wars then I guess it's ok. ;)

Jae Angel

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Kier - can Borsk Fey'lya be considered an anti-hero?

For the most part, no- he does what's best for Borsk and not too often, others. And I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Anyone see that movie with mel gibson, payback?

Where he goes around destroying the badguys all for himself, just because they got on his bad side?

It came out a few years ago, and it was mel gibson against a crime syndicate that took his money(as I remember he stole in the first place.), and turned his girl against him.

It is known as an antihero film, and mel isn't doing stuff for the good of all either.

14. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    So can Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker be considered an antihero?

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, by the standards that dracula, or payback are put under.

But to some he would be a villain as well.

16. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    in a sense, Han Solo in ANH is an anti-hero then?

or Karrde in TTT?

17. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I have a few questions about this "anti-hero" thing. I'm a writer and I kinda want to incorporate the anti-hero into a story of mine. Ok, here are some random questions:

Is a villain who starts to doubt their role as a villain and side more with the side of good considered an anti-hero?

Along the same lines, is a hero who has done a few things that are undoubtedly villainous considered an anti-hero?

If anyone has seen the movie "Lone Star" (I recommend it highly) the character of Sheriff Sam seems like the anti-hero type. He's always lived in the shadow of his great father who was sheriff before him, and many in the town regard him as a joke. However, when he finds out that his father might be the prime suspect in a murder he takes it upon himself to find out what happened. Everyone in town wants him to just call off the search because some things are better off not being known, but Sam continues to dig deeper, probably motivated by the desire to prove that his father wasn't a saint afterall. The ending is great, so I won't say a word about it, but you really should go and rent it :)

Hope somebody can give me some help with the definition.

Jae Angel

18. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Would Rincewind from the Terry Pratchett books be considered an Anti-Hero? He is forced to do all of these things, and by now he anticipates them and asks if he has to IE:
    Lead a rebellion
    Save a princess
    Save a Virgin from sacrafice
    Lead a tourist through the world [trust me, that was the worst]
    Open a book [wait, no this was the worst]

19. TauntaunBelly

TauntaunBelly Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2001
    I would say Han Solo in OT is an anti-hero--he has no special powers or potential in the force (like Luke and Obi-wan), no position or power (like Leia), nothing else special (he's not a droid, not a wookie, doesn't own cloud city), all he has is a hunk of junk spaceship and yet he saves the rebellion in ANH and ROTJ. by the time the EU comes around he has status and recognition so not so much then.
    He even amazes himself

20. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I think Han Solo in A New Hope is an anti-hero, because he gets pulled into things against his will, and when we first meet him, he's pretty shady. By Empire he's grown up a little, but still looking out for himself, i.e. wants to pay off Jabba the Hutt or he's a dead man. By Jedi he IS fully a hero and thrown in completely with the Rebellion, so much so that he has accepted the rank of General.

I wouldn't consider Anakin an anti-hero per se- as a Jedi he pretty much has to have heroic qualities, unless he resents being a Jedi and doesn't want to do Jedi things. However, I can't really comment because I haven't seen Episode II yet.

As for Dracula, I can't say- I have read only bits and pieces or the book, however, he is an antagonist, meaning he is working against Van Helsing and the others.

Other anti-heroes: William Wallace, Rob Roy, Cale Tucker in Titan A.E., Shrek, Roger Murtagh in earlier Lethal Weapons, Gabriel Law in The One, Thomas Covenant (Though I defy the notion that he is even a hero after comitting rape), Rick O'Connel in the Mummy, the end is listless as they say.

21. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    You want a SW anti-hero have Boba Fett on the good guys' side.

22. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    This is a good topic, :D. The words protagonist and antagonist come to mind when I think of this topic. If you don't know what these words mean go back to school or go to www.dictionary.com. In the films, the Jedi were protagonists as how Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader were antagonists.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

You want a SW anti-hero have Boba Fett on the good guys' side.

Ugh. No, Boba Fett is not hero material- I think it has to do with the fact that he lacks heroic qualities. And if you wanted him to be on the good guys side, just pay him and he will work for them.

24. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
  25. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Here you go, its right here NuranJedi [face_smile]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.